Witcher 3 mod remakes the first game’s prologue in fancy modern ways

A new mod for The Witcher 3 recreates the first game’s prologue chapter, sending us back with all the bells and whistles of the modern day. As the RPG series kept revisiting characters across games and across the years, my memories of the first game kept updating with the latest game’s looks. Watching the mod’s trailer contrasting the original and remake, oh wow, nope, it has changed a lot. If you want to stoke wild dreams of a full remake (don’t get your hopes up, pal) or simply revisit that fateful day, you can now download the mod. Here, watch this:

That’s the work of modder ‘erxv’, using extra 3D models from ‘Cercaphus’, ‘Holgar’, ‘paulscott’, ‘ScoutBr0’, and ‘-The_Crasher-‘. And, obviously, uses sound extracted from The Witcher.

If you fancy a play, hit Nexus Mods to download it. Do pay attention to the instructions there, and one important requirement not listed – you’ll need both the game’s expansions. Somehow I don’t own both of them (no idea what I was thinking) so boo, I have to sit this one out.

The prologue is all the mod is, mind. Do not get over-excited for a full remake from modders – or anyone. I don’t know if I’d want a remake anyway. The Witcher feels like living someone’s life with them, actions and decisions set in stone, so I’ve only ever replayed them to replace lost save files to import into later games (good job, me) and playing through purely for funsies would be odd. I’d want that same old wonky combat and all the weird quirks too, because part of what makes The Witcher interesting to me is how good it is despite so much being janky. There’s something quaint about the baggage it carries from other RPGs.

Witcher developers CD Projekt RED are still muttering about not abandoning the Witcher universe, though that’s all still so vague. While I might be interested in a side-game or two, for now I’d rather they focus on Cyberpunk 2077. Give me those roboarms.

1. poliovaccine says:

Yeah, I must say, as much as I can appreciate that The Witcher is a truly great series, all I really wanna see right now is Cyberpunk 2077.

• April March says:

I am so tired of medieval fantasy that I get tired even of absurdly competently made medieval fantasy. I don’t know how I don’t feel the same with cyberpunk, given that we’re living in it, though…

2. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Lanbert Lambert what a prick!

3. mac4 says:

Nice one. Full playthrough here: link to youtube.com .

Reminder to self to give the original another go, I got lost somewhere in the post-prologue prelogue sort of quest fetching. Must have just been the wrong moment, and nothing about the visuals, mind, indeed I liked it well enough.

4. Rich says:

I’d definitely like a remake, or reimagining.

5. bill says:

Wow. The old one actually looks a lot better than I was expecting.
    And better than it looked on my PC when I played it because I had to turn a lot of details down.

But that prologue was pretty horrendous… almost put me off the whole game and managed to teach me almost nothing about how the game worked.

• RobinOttens says:

Visually the first game still holds up pretty well. Having played all three games back to back last year, I honestly preferred the first game’s looks over the second.

Textures are a bit blurry, and the animations are shit mostly, but the design for areas and stuff is still beautiful

Comment on this story