Duelyst adds 100 cards in Immortal Vanguard expansion

Cardwards and onwards

There are some good, silly names in the latest expansion for monster-battling card game Duelyst. A goth called Maehv Skinsolder. A mutliarmed sorceress called Shidai Stormblossom. One guy is called “Brome”, which is the most US high school footballer name imaginable. They’re all new generals, part of the 100-card roster of Immortal Vanguard, which came out a couple of days ago. I haven’t summoned my precious winged rat babies in a while, so I can’t say what this adds to the shifting tactics of the game. But I can say that “Ragnora the Relentless” sounds like a good name for a superhero dinner lady.

There are six new generals in total, one for each of the weirdo factions. Ragnora belongs to the green-skinned gym scum known as the Magmar, for example, and her special spell is to summon slimey eggs nearby. The expansion also adds a “build” mechanic. This means there are new minions that start life as a structure, with a building timer. When the timer reaches zero, it turns into its final form. That’s explained in more detail here.

They’re adding more mechs too. Previously, there was a collection of colourful robot minions, and once you summoned all five of them, they unleashed “Mechazor” a spell-proof pain in the backside. He is like Voltron, except that he has never done anything positive for humanity. But it looks like he’s getting nerfed. You can inspect those changes here.

Horrible robot

There are also some pricing changes when buying diamonds (the currency that lets you craft specific cards), a large number of tweaks to the core set, and some other quality of life bits and bobs (you can now see what a transforming enemy will change into by hovering over it). It’s all in the patch notes.

Duelyst is free-to-play, so it has plenty of the grubby rando drop nonsense that has everyone upset in recent times. But it is also better than Hearthstone, so never mind?

1. kwyjibo says:

The duelyst RPS forum thread is mostly dead, so go do some necromancy.

link to forum.rockpapershotgun.com

Use a referral code and get a free pack. Mine’s ‘xhanx’ there are others in the forum thread.

Budget decks are very effective. You do not need to spend money to get a good deck.

Too early to say how the meta will shape up with the new expansion (but the last one was excellent). The game is worth playing just to see all the artwork and animations.

• Boronian says:

I agree with kwyjibo. The community is super helpful. The duelyst wiki is also a great place if you need more information.

It is a really good time to play Duelyst :)

2. April March says:

It is a game in which the grubby rando drop nonsense is mandatory – there’s no ‘random friendly match’ option, so unless you have loads of friends (or play exclusively Gauntlet) you’re gonna run into decks that are better than yours because their players invested into them (not necessarily money, but most likely than not money). But it is also the only game like that that I not only play but play often, and it’s not uncommon for me to play every day for a long time and get me a few of the stinky keys (if you play a lot you can get one free key a month). I feel it gets away with a lot because physical CCGs normalized this malarkey, but it is still a stupendously designed game. I don’t think I ever can go back to card games in which I don’t have to care where my units are positioned.

tl;dr it is crummy, but go play. Get yourself a loot code from the forum thread linked above and go nuts.

• kwyjibo says:

April, I responded regarding your deck in the forum.

By coincidence I decided to watch one of your Zirix replays yesterday too – you don’t need legendaries, you just need to play better cards (and play better). In that game, you won against abyssian, you did not maximise the blast damage you could have done against the enemy. Also, Fountain of Youth is garbage.

link to forum.rockpapershotgun.com

3. RuySan says:

When it comes to F2P progression this game is as stingy as Hearthstone. Right now Eternal is the most accessible F2P card game, and highly recommended. Faeria used to be pretty fine in that regard too, but it’s been a while since i played it.

4. rhoeberg says:

I remember the osx client having some performance issues on my 2013 macbook, would start overheating and become painfully slow, so gave up on it. I have a pc but this is definitely the kind of game I would want on a laptop.
    Does anyone know if it still have these performance issues?

• kwyjibo says:

At its heart, it’s still a browser game. Regardless of OS, it just opens up a Chrome window. Coding to high level interpreted languages that run in the browser will never be as efficient as writing native code.

I think this is why the mobile client will likely be a year late at this point. It was originally due Q1 2017.

5. Captain Narol says:

Fans of Duelyst will be happy to know that Smite Tactics, which is a shameless rip-off of Duelyst with a Smite skin, has seen his steam playerbase divided by a factor 10 in just 2 months after entering public early access.

The fall has been so brutal that it now got behind Duelyst in the Steam Charts :

link to steamcharts.com

Game has big balance problems and instead of fixing them, the clueless Devs just keep on adding more game-breaking cards and gods…

I was playing it since Beta and I have finally given up on it, game is pretty and fun for a short time but overall a big disappointment…

• kwyjibo says:

But Hand of the Gods has actual investment in it. Hi-Rez are pumping money into the game, they’re hosting a $50,000 tournament in January.

While the PC figures have fallen. They have released the game on Xbox One and PS4 and are actively promoting it.

Yes, I think it’s a bullshit game from a clone factory. But by the time Duelyst launches on any other platform, people will probably think it’s a Smite clone.

• Captain Narol says:

Money doesn’t always suffise…

You can pour rivers of money on a bad game to promote it if you want, you won’t retain players.

That’s exactly what is happening with Smite Tactics.

They are putting the cart before the horses, promoting the game intensively while it’s still a wreck full of balance problems and bad design choices.

That can only end one way : commercial desaster and falling heads.