Outcast’s remake Second Contact is out now

Outcast: Second Contact

The world of 1999 feels so strange and far away now. So different from the stressful realities of the here-and-now. I was a precocious (but equally nerdy) teenager back then, but I still clearly remember the first time I played Outcast, a Stargate-inspired action adventure exploring environments quite unlike anything else at the time, at the expense of nearly melting most CPUs of the era.

It’s a good thing that Belgian studio Appeal aren’t going to let a little thing like nearly two decades get between them and their vision, because they’ve gone and released Outcast again, polished up and remastered to something approaching modern spec. I don’t know about you, but I can hear the ’99 calling again. Maybe it’s time for another trip to the lush alien world of Adelpha, just for old times sake.

Fret not if you’re waiting for our full thoughts on the game – we’ve got someone working on a Wot I Think – but from what I’ve heard on the grapevine, this sounds like a fine enough remake, although possibly closer to a second, more polished remaster than anything. Cutter Slade might move with a little more grace and agility than he used to, and the world might look a little more sharp and in-focus than you may remember, but scratch just beneath the surface and you’ll find the original 90s Outcast, rousing orchestral score, slightly overcompressed voicework and all.

Whether that sounds like a problem to you is very much a Mileage May Vary situation. Personally, I can’t wait to give the new version a try. I always had a soft spot for the original, even back when my PC could barely run it, and I’d quite like to experience the game as it looked in the mind’s eye of the developers, unshackled by the cruel realities of computer hardware. Plus, maybe if Second Contact does well, that sequel Appeal always dreamt of doing might just be on the cards.

Outcast: Second Contact is out on Steam for £25.49/€29.74/$29.74, which includes a launch discount. People who already own the original on Steam get an extra 30% off.

1. Slinkusss says:

They coulda put controller support in…

2. Jerppa says:

Will there be a Wot Oi Fink?

Risingson says:

So you can now fedex without an end with hi resolution graphics! Yay!

Really, the original was – and still is – brilliant technically. It just had more irrelevant and annoying quests than a Bethesda RPG.

4. G-Lord says:

I’m having a blast with this. I still consider the original to be my favorite game, and this is a very faithful remake. I doubt it will make a lot of new fans though.

5. wombat191 says:

It’s one of those games I missed and never got around to getting the first time so I might pick this up and add it to my Steam backlog which means I will get around to playing it in oh… 25050

6. yhancik says:

Why has the preposterously named Cutter Slade been replaced by a Gillette advert model?

In the French version, Cutter had Bruce Willis’ French voice (if that makes sense – in French dubs of films, many actors have a voice actor assigned to ensure consistency). I can’t imagine that voice on a guy who looks like an overpaid football player :p

• Syrion says:

In the German version as well! This made the German voiceover surprisingly good. As per usual, though, still leagues worse than the original voiceover.
      It must have been mass-market appeal, although I highly doubt they can generate any of that, as there have been lots of devastatingly negative reviews from newcomers who never played the original.

Since the voiceover is unchanged from what I’ve heard, this basically only needs a grey hair mod!

I loved Outcast when I first played it few years ago, but it does have (a few) flaws that make it less enjoyable nowadays, like that walking animation and not all that satisfying shooting. It appears they changed these, so I’m looking forward to the WIT.

However, as I’m not a diehard fan, I would unfortunately never pay 30€ for a remaster, when the original is readily available and as enjoyable as ever. I can’t imagine too many people will..

• HunterFrank says:

They got the Gernan voice of Bruce Eillis as well for the German version! Makes sense, since the original Cutter Slade was basically a copy of Bruce Willis…

Probably all localized versions had Bruce Willis, while the original English version had only a fake one…

• Darth Gangrel says:

Huh, I’ve never heard of a Gernan version, which country is that from and who is Bruce Eillis?

Though, seriously, this looks fine. However, just like Beamdog’s remasters of the Baldur’s Gate games, I’ve got the original unplayed and waiting for me at GoG and will play that first.

• Carra says:

We don’t have a Dutch Bruce Willis. We do have Jean Claude Van Damme though.

• Deano2099 says:

So you’re saying the remake will only really appeal to Die Hard fans?

7. modzero says:

The white savior is truly strong with that trailer.

• Sin Vega says:

Aye, Outcast always had that problem, although it sold it better than most. The resistance are basically pacifists and anyone aggressive enough to kill typically went over to the evil overlord’s side (on their world, killing is an act of cruelty that tangibly corrupts the killer – if the player murders an innocent, their angry spirit rises and fucks you up), and the rest have gone to ground.

• DocRickShillstein says:

…ughhh Find another game to play if you don’t like it.

• hfm says:

I thought the same thing. The “higher being” (yes, I quote..) come in to save the drooling dropsy plebs.

(Yes I did play the original when it was released in 99… so I have reference..)

• Scraphound says:

Oh god, do we have to feel guilty even if the it’s aliens now??

• cpt_freakout says:

Don’t feel guilty, just be conscious of what implications a story of this kind has. Nothing wrong with playing or enjoying it.

Anyway, it’s so weird this didn’t get a release on GOG… a release there would probably have a much more enthusiastic welcome than in the release-deluge world of Steam.

8. Syrion says:

In my opinion, this has one of the most satisfying and tangible settings of being “stranded on an alien planet”. The mix of adventuring, action, exploration and sometimes just a little investigation made this a great unofficial Stargate game!

9. fish99 says:

I’m sure I’ll pick this up for the nostalgia when it’s the right price.

10. elmeanno says:

This may have been covered before but: I thought this was a failed Kickstarter campaign, and now I see it on Steam? Did I miss something?

11. Peppergomez says:

this looks right shonky

12. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Until it’s on GOG I’m not buying it. They asked meto suppirt them there with the rerelease and 1.1 release so I did. Disappointed the remake isn’t released there whatever the reason.

Comment on this story