Gunhead pits a pirate against derelict ships full of drones

gunhead

There’s no reason having a gun for a head would stop someone from becoming a concert pianist or a specialist on Assyrian antiquities, but let’s face it, they’re far more likely to be a space pirate, raiding floating tombs and shooting everything in sight. That’s certainly the case with Gunhead, an open-world FPS due out next year.

Like its predecessor, Cryptark, Gunhead is all about breaking into massive space hulks and looting them, all the while trying to stay alive when you’re being chased by drones made of bone and steel. But while Cryptark was a 2D shmup, its sequel is a fast-paced FPS.

Here’s what Marsh made of the first game when it was in early access:

As it is, Cryptark is one of the most confident entries to Early Access I’ve seen – a few bugs aside, this is robust, generously featured and unusually convincing in its design. In fact, I might well be tempted to use Cryptark as a case study of how to take a simple, hoary old game conceit, like the shmup, and have it transcend into something richly strategic.

Gunhead takes place directly after Cryptark, with Gunhead and his crew on the run from the government contractors they betrayed, but aside from the change in perspective, it seems to hitting the same notes. That switch to first person is pretty dramatic, of course, and gosh does it look absolutely gorgeous, blending Borderland’s striking comic-style with lots of neon and chrome. It’s due out some time in 2018.

Harlander says:

Of all the games that I’ve played lately that’ve been too hard for me, Cryptark was by far my favourite.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this, though it’ll probably turn out to be too hard for me..

2. Morcane says:

Just shut up and take my money. Cryptark was hard, but really, really good.

3. Kollega says:

A fast-paced, procedural-generation roguelite FPS with awesome-looking art style and evident weapon variety. Now this is interesting.

Thing is, in the light of the Battlefront Lootcratepocalypse and all the issues that led up to it, and the fact that nowadays, I can only name DOOM and Wolfenstein as big-name FPS releases focused on singleplayer (please enlighten me if I’m wrong!), I’ve just been thinking more and more that indie devs need to pick up the torch with the singleplayer FPS genre. This looks like an example of “it”.

Of course, we also have Strafe as an example of a procedurally generated roguelite FPS, but that game didn’t really convince me… the art style and marketing there fell on deaf ears, as I mostly missed the Quake III era of first-person shooting (I mean, I got to play Q3, but it was only against bots). This looks more to my tastes, though… I guess we’ll see.

And to be honest… what I can’t wait for is the indie revival of the first-person shooting era marked by Halo and Half-Life. The “superior-equipped protagonist in ordinary firefights” conceit, the military sci-fi slant, the cool yet down-to-earth weapons… more of that, please.

DISCLAIMER: This post is likely to be upsetting to the more serious first-person shooter purists. Please don’t first-person-shoot me for it.

• BeardyHat says:

FWIW, Strafe is not what the marketing and hype billed it as; DUSK is a much better example of Quake style FPS.

• NuclearSword says:

Nah, STRAFE was billed as a first person roguelite inspired by the tone & attitude behind 90’s shooters like Quake. It wasn’t trying to actually BE a shooter like Quake – you’re right, that’s what DUSK is trying to do – but STRAFE did successfully bring that attitude into a Roguelite FPS shell.

It had some gameplay issues, sure (having Serious Sam-style enemies hordes rushing into the tight, intricate corridors of the levels didn’t exactly work the best), but it also plays a lot better now that they launched the Millennium Edition update. That game isn’t as fun as, say, Immortal Redneck, but it definitely doesn’t deserve a lot of the hate it’s gotten – it’s not it’s fault if people only paid attention to the promotional movies and ignored every interview or preview where they described it pretty accurately.

4. Dewal says:

Gunhead, not sure if it’s the sequel of Warface or Cuphead.

5. imlikeiolo says:

Yooka-Laylee is 45% off. That’s the first drop that big I’ve seen for it so far.

6. porpoise says:

Ooh, this looks interesting! I really liked Cryptark; in a sea of games that think procedural generation means “throwing a small set of stuff together in a randomised jumble is cheaper than designing real levels!”, the way that its procedural ship layouts demand intelligent and careful but flexible planning is really well done. Plus it’s lots of fun to play and the writing and voice acting aren’t bad at all. It’s not even all that hard once you work out how all of the ship systems fit together.

Also: does anyone else get a strong feeling of Descent from that trailer? Could this be the actually good proc-gen Descent tribute that the world has been waiting for?

Edit: actually no, I watched again and it’s definitely more FPSy than I first thought. Oh well, it still looks pretty good.

7. Douzéju says:

Featuring Jerma985’s chpee voice as an alien.
    I’m not even kidding.