Opus Magnum adds a gruelling final chapter

I'm not even sure what this does. But it works.

We’ve already seen some amazing contraptions come out of Opus Magnumsomeone’s even made a computer – but the Opus-est of Magnums might be yet to come. Zachtronics have stuck an additional chapter on to the end of the alchemy-based puzzler’s campaign, and it looks hard as hell.

The 11 new puzzles included in the ‘Production Alchemy’ update all have to be solved within “the confined spaces of production-grade transmutation engines.” Here’s what that looks like.

I have a feeling all the Eyedrops of Revelation in the world won’t be enough to make me understand how to go about solving these. I’ve mostly brute forced my way through the campaign so far, using the most expensive tools to make machines that (eventually) get the job done. It’s great that this is a Zachtronics game where that’s possible, though it’s also great that brainier folk than me can sink further into the deep end of the game. As the announcement post says, “if you’ve been looking for a more “classic” (i.e. challenging) Zachtronics experience in Opus Magnum this might scratch your itch!”

The new mini-campaign comes with its own story, which promises to further explore the world of Opus Magnum.

I’m yet to see the ultimate fate of my alchemist, who’s stuck three-quarters of the way through the campaign making stain removers and sword alloys. I’d show you those ones but they’re awful, so here’s a slightly less terrible potion making gizmo of mine instead.

And no, I don’t care that Brendan’s machine is nearly three times faster, much less expensive and takes up hardly any space. Not one jot.

1. Addie says:

I find it impressive that, as you get better at OM, your solutions become more elegant, whereas in Shenzhen, your solutions become ever-more impenetrable dirty hacks. I could have done with a Shenzhen ‘easy mode’ where all the cards are twice the size to start with, though.

Are you ever going to get around to doing some WIT’s on the Zachtronic games? All your articles seem to be announcements rather than reviews.

2. dvrabel says:

You may find it easier to do more elegant “Life-Sensing Potion” solutions if you used all three source elements and not just two of them.

3. gabrielonuris says:

I’m just here, silently following all of these RPS posts about this game, looking at those gifs and wondering what the hell is going on and what this game is all about. But Opus Magnum found its way to my wishlist somehow, and now I’m waiting for it to leave early access so I can buy it.

If it’s the magic hacking game I think it is, I can’t wait to spend my saturday evenings testing my intelligence with this.

That’s my favorite part about this site, you know? While the other pc gamer sites are turning into an ad press, with posts about Destiny and Overwatch inbetween, it’s good to have a honest site like RPS to bring those hidden, underdog gems into my knowledge.

• BeardyHat says:

Don’t wait for it to leave EA; I’ve actually done the same with all the other Zachtronics games and it simply leaves you out of the loop.

Zachtronics puts their games into EA when they’re feature complete and simply adding polish, so they’re absolutely worth playing while still in “EA”

Solrax says:

Yes, if they themselves didn’t say it was “Early Access” I would think it was completely finished. It is polished and high quality.

I love making something and leaving it running, and realizing I can make do with one less arm** or something, it’s hypnotic :)

** – then I look on Reddit and see someone did the whole thing with one arm :)

I should add there is a very active community on Reddit with people posting gifs of their creations and from what I’ve seen, very polite critiques. There is also a record-keeping section that I haven’t paid attention to yet because my solutions are far from record breaking…

4. Malcolm says:

Finally cracked and picked this up last night. Very early days of course (as in one level past the tutorials), but I’m loving it so far.

phuzz says:

This is certainly the most approachable Zachtronics game yet, not precisely because it’s easier, but the game lets you move on once you have a solution that works, and you don’t have to go back an optimise your solution (you probably will though).
    I’ve almost finished the main campaign, I just need to have a bit of free time with my brain in full working order to get through the last few puzzles.

Comment on this story