Tired of Black Friday already? How about Steam’s Autumn sale instead?

Steam autumn sale

Black Friday-Smiday, this weekend’s all about the Steam Autumn sale, don’t you know? Yep, it’s that time of year again when we all spend way too much on games we’ll probably never play, but hey, at least we got a good saving in the process.

On from now until 6pm on November 28th in the UK, Steam’s latest discount bonanza is once again a pretty straightforward affair. Apart from being able to nominate games for the annual Steam Awards that take place over Christmas, all deals are fixed for the duration of the sale. I’ll hand over to Alice for a few picks.

Alice: Hallo gang! While I’m sure we’ll dig deeper into the Steam sale tomorrow, for now I’ll point out a few games from this year that you might have been wanting to go on sale:

Prey$14.99/€19.99/$19.99
The studio behind Dishonored take over the sci-fi FPS series, making a cracking immersive sim with a smack of System Shock. Read John’s Prey review for much praise. Or perhaps Adam’s thoughts on the start.

Tacoma£8.99/€11.99/$11.99
Speaking of space stations, hey, it’s the next game from the Gone Home gang [disclosure: I’m chums with some of ’em]. Pip declared in her Tacoma review that “it’s a masterclass in environmental and gradual storytelling.”

Nier: Automata£23.99/€35.99/$35.99
Sexy robots fight unsexy robots then they fight sexy robots and then your heart breaks over and over. I adore Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising by the same studio, PlatinumGames, yet was still surprised by how much I got into this open-world action-RPG. Read Adam’s Nier: Automata review for his praise. But mercy me, you will likely want this mod to fix some of it technojank.

SteamWorld Dig 2£11.24/€14.99/$14.99
“It’s like some hot soup on a cold day,” Brendan said about this deep-digging platformer. “Except you dip your bread with a hookshot, instead of a hand.”

What Remains of Edith Finch£10.04/€13.39/$13.39
“It’s a walking simulator for about ten minutes, and then it becomes all manner of other things, including one of my favourite games in years,” Adam said in his What Remains of Edith Finch review. Alex Wiltshire had a good look in The Mechanic too. And as a bonus for people who have already played it — but only those who have, cos spoilers — here’s Pip looking at the creation of one striking section.

Night in the Woods£11.99/€15.99/$15.99
“It’s a visual novel, but it’s a platform game, but it’s an adventure, but it’s something else entirely,” John said in his Night in the Woods review. “I’m pretty sure I love it at this point.” More importantly than that, me, I think it’s great. A fittingly autumnal game too.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen£26.24/€29.99/$29.99
“‘DLC’ desperately undersells War Of The Chosen, this fat and bursting sausage of turn-based splendour,” Alec said in his review. “I think I might have found ‘XCOM 3’ a mite more appropriate.” It is a good expansion at the very least.

Stories Untold£2.37/€3.39/$3.39
John said in his Stories Untold review that the horror anthology “is bleak and disturbing, novel and experimental, and most importantly when doing all that, very clever.” Adam has declared it the best horror games too. I saw one of the games at an event, wired into a fake bedroom which reacted to in-game happenings. It was great. More games should offer lamp peripherals.

Deadly Premonition£1.99/€2.49/$2.49
Not from this year but just you try to stop me recommending this. The daily life RPG survival horror is so good that even the fact it’s janky, crashy, and often bad can’t ruin it. You will want to download Durante’s tool to fix some of it.

And now back to Katharine…

Katharine: We’ll be updating this list with more deals as and when we find them – you can also check out our main Black Friday hub for deals from other digital retailers like Green Man Gaming, GOG and Amazon – but if you spot something you think’s worth shouting about that isn’t on this list, then please do let us know in the comments and we’ll add it to the list.

Of course, if you’re also in the market for a new graphics card this weekend to make sure your new purchases look in tip-top condition, then why not have a glance at our best graphics cards deals article? We’ve got all the best deals from both the UK and US, so you’re sure to find something to fit your budget. Alternatively, those after a brand-new monitor this Black Friday should head to our best monitor deals hub, where we’ve once again picked the cream of the current deals crop for both UK and US buyers. We’ve also got a dedicated best deals hub for SSDs, too, just in case you fancy some faster loading times, too.

1. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Not this time. I genuinely think I’m done with Steam Sales now. Of course that is just me and I’m sure I don’t speak for anyone else :)

Godwhacker says:

The Evil Within 2 is properly brilliant- finished it last night and loved every minute.

3. GrumpyCatFace says:

Pretty sure I’ve already bought everything that I really want to play for now. There might be an exception though.

4. Turkey says:

Spent my black friday bucks on DC’s comixology sale. Got some old Alan Moore stuff and all of Shade the Changing man + a Dave McKeen thing.

5. MiniMatt says:

Yeah, we definitely went to the same comprehensive

6. mgardner says:

I am waiting for Dominions 5 to release on Monday, and will eagerly buy it day one at full price. Take that, Black Friday and Cyber Monday!

7. caff says:

Anyone who hasn’t played any of the following is possibly missing out on GOTY:

What Remains of Edith Finch
    Stories Untold
    Prey

8. TehK says:

I have 14.15€ in my steam wallet and by God I’m going to spend it!

9. TeePee says:

I just bought the Witcher III and all the DLC for £14. That doesn’t even seem fair…

As for the rest of the sale, I’ll probably just wait it out and maybe pick up the odd cheapie for £3-ish here and there. Humble Monthly has a habit of increasing my ‘to play’ list exponentially.

EDIT: Just Cause 3 for less than a fiver seems like ridiculous value for money.

• mukuste says:

How’d you do the Witcher thing? I see 20€ for the GOTY, and somehow I doubt that comes out to GBP 14.

• neems says:

Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt – Game of the Year Edition. -60%, was £34.99 now £13.99.

Sorry.

• mukuste says:

Wow. Since when are UK deals so much better than EU ones? Here it’s also 60% off, but from a ridiculous €50 base price.

Actually I’ve noticed that this is a trend; the discounts in percentages are pretty good, but the base prices just don’t drop like they did a few years ago.

• Merry says:

The UK price is indeed £13.99

• mukuste says:

This is not how Brexit was supposed to work!

• TeePee says:

It’s okay, in five years I’ll be finishing up The Witcher 3 just in time to step out into the sunlight to scenes reminiscent of the Last of Us.

10. Esin12 says:

Hmm. I wasn’t familiar with Deadly Premonition. I’m pretty interested now. Might drop the three bucks on it.

11. nattydee says:

Ooof there was a surprisingly large number of things on sale for me this time around. Tons of stuff under $10, Dishonored 2 + DLC for less than $20, Deux Ex Mankind Divided + DLC for less than $10… I’ve held off the last 2-3 years on sales for the most part because they’ve always seemed lackluster compared to the fire sales of the early 2010’s, but something this time around pulled me in.

12. caff says:

It’s worth maintaining a wishlist for times like this.

Picked up Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture for £3.99. Been after it for a while and this seems a fair price for something that isn’t hugely rated but probably presents a very nice meander round some English countryside. Living in smoggy London I rarely get to see stuff like that.

Don Reba says:

If only I didn’t already have way too many games.

14. mukuste says:

I might just pick up Vanquish for €10 since I love all other Platinum games to bits.

15. Baines says:

On a tangential note, I’m rather disappointed by the categories for the Steam Awards this time around. Sure, they were pointless, arbitrarily biased, and sometimes just stupid last year. But this year, they are just kind of bland, and redundantly so. I can’t even think of titles to nominate for most of them.

16. EwokThisWay says:

Pretty sure there are TONS of people like me (and my friends) waiting for PUBG to be on sale and were hoping it would be the time
    Unfortunately, i’m starting to think that this game’s price will never be lower… if anything it will go up (even before the game is finished, at which point point it will certainly).

Oh well, back to H1Z1.

17. Gothnak says:

Can someone get Tim Stone to do a Steam Sales post, i’d love to know what he thinks we should pick up cheaply?

18. Jazzhole says:

Yeah, bought new Wolfenstein with the season pass first week and 2 weeks later it’s 50% off. Fucking great. Haven’t even finish the game yet.

19. Cederic says:

Dishonored 2 and Sniper Elite 4 acquired here.

Comment on this story