Valve’s Steam Link costs a mere $5 this Black Friday

Steam Link

Just when you thought Valve’s Steam Link box (which lets you play your PC stuff streamed to your TV in another room) couldn’t get any cheaper than it did a few months ago, Gamestop has the deal of all deals for those in the US right now. Available now for just $5 on its own, it would almost be rude not to, really.

If you’ve been looking for a cheap way to avoid lugging your desktop PC and its nest of cables to the TV whenever friends are round, Valve’s Steam Link is a great bit of hardware, especially if you have a tiny monitor that’s difficult to crowd round. RPS’s own Mr Meer has said in the past that its streaming gets a bit wonky in terms of control response if you try to do it wireless, but this should be less of an issue if you’ve got a fully wired network.

You don’t need to buy a Steam controller either, as the Link box plays nicely with most common PC gamepads, including wired Xbox 360 controllers – although if you’re also thinking about taking the plunge on a Steam Controller, they’re currently just $32.99 at GameStop if you fancy throwing that into your basket as well.

Since this deal is part of GameStop’s Black Friday promotion, don’t expect this to stick around long – especially at that price (down from $50). If you’re looking for other Black Friday bits, be sure to check out our main Black Friday hub, as well as our dedicated articles containing all the best graphics card deals, the best SSD deals and the best monitor deals. We’ll also update this if we find it going cheap in the UK, too.

Lexx87 says:

I saw off the Twitters that Game had them for £4 which might be worth a look

2. fredtoy says:

For 5 bucks it’s a steal!

I have one and I say… On a wired connection (even on powerline adapters, my case) it works flawlessly. Paired with a Steam Controller it’s even better.

Besides Steam games, you can stream other games. All you have to do is to add a shortcut on Steam. You can stream your desktop too.

• Snidesworth says:

Agreed. I don’t have a Steam Controller myself, but I got the Link a couple of years ago and it’s a fantastic bit of kit as long as it’s got an ethernet cable plugged in the back. My PC struggled to run and stream a couple of games and a few smaller indie games had issues, but the vast majority of the time it Just Worked.

Harlander says:

If you’ve got a Samsung smart TV you can get Steam Link as an app on it, apparently.

• Ilinx says:

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing that out – I have a new Samsung TV and, yep, Steam Link is an app you can download.

4. GrumpyCatFace says:

Got one! Thank you Katharine!!!!

If you’re trying to buy my love, you just succeeded. :) Looking forward to more content!

5. FurryLippedSquid says:

Jings, you can tell the site has been sold to a corporation eh?

laiwm says:

What are you talking about? A PC gaming site is posting about PC hardware deals, as it should be. You’re seeing more of it now because they got a full-time hardware editor instead of just having Jeremy Laird write something once a fortnight.

6. Baines says:

With many companies, such steep sales would mean an improved version is waiting around the corner.

With Valve, it is probably the final admission that Valve had abandoned Steam Link as a concept soon after (or even before) launch.

7. Wolfram86 says:

For Canadians, it’s $20 on amazon right now, down from $65. Cheapest I’ve seen it yet.

8. Eleven says:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Valve are dumping their old stock in preparation for an updated model. 4k Steam Link anybody?

9. Jayseki says:

I already had one, and it works gud. But for 5$! I went ahead and ordered 2 more. Now I have a spare for when my kids inevitably break it, and another for a gift or a 2nd TV.

Now I just hope that Valve continues to occasionally update the thing after they give up on selling it. I mean, my Pebble still works, so…

10. IcyBee says:

£3.99 in the Steam sale! I shall buy one!

…click, click, click…

Shipping and handling £7.40.

Shove that. Cancelling order.

Comment on this story