Grow Home studio get musical in new game Ode

The Ubisoft studio behind Grow Home and Atomega have unexpectedly launched another more-experimental little game. Ode is a musical wander-o-platformer inviting us to roll, leap, swing, collect, and bounce around a colourful world, making music as we go. Perhaps imagine a gamier Proteus and you’re half-way there. Ubisoft announced Ode today and — oh! — have released it this very same day. That is a surprise. Have a look-see:

Ode gives us a little blobperson to explore alien places where plants, creatures, and the very world all make music. Each plays their own little part, combining to make the whole place alive with the sound of music. So far, so Proteus. But Ode is within far more of a conventional game structure. Ubifolks cite games like Journey and Rez as inspirations.

Reflections is Ubisoft’s current source of unconventional little games and they’ve made some good stuff, so I’m interested. While Ubi’s smaller games are often in conventional genres, like the World War 1 adventure game Valiant hearts and fairytale RPG Child of Light, Reflections seem to be making whatever tickles their fancy.

Ode is out now for £4.49. Curiously, it’s only available through Ubisoft’s own store and the Uplay client. Launching a game without notice and choosing to sell it only on a minor store seems a sure-fire way to sink it. Weird. I do hope this won’t impact Reflections’ chances to make more fun little games. That Jann Ubisoft is a loose cannon.

1. zellman says:

I was a big fan of grow home and grow up. I may check this out, even if it is on uplay.

2. lancelot says:

Conventional, maybe, but there’s — I think — nothing else quite like Valiant Hearts and, especially, Child of Light.

Makes hating Ubisoft disturbingly difficult.

particlese says:

Ooo, nice. I played a bunch of Proteus the other day while queueing in the difficult queue of Lawbreakers (partly to amuse myself with the juxtaposition; partly because Proteus is great), and I stumbled across a bunch of stuff and music I’d never seen or heard before. I could certainly go for more of that or things somewhat like it, so this “Ode” is now high in my to-play queue. Cheers!

4. Ghostwise says:

*Technically* it should be “Yann Ubisoft”, since the founders are Bretons…

… but on the other hand this here might be the most useless comment you’ll read today.

5. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Reminds me very much of The UnderGarden.

6. Marclev says:

The whole game can be completed in under 2 hours. If they sold it on Steam, they’d have to worry about people finishing it and refunding it.

7. cpt_freakout says:

I installed Uplay solely to get Valiant Hearts. Seems like it’s time to install it temporarily again!