Rising Storm 2: Vietnam throws Australians into the fray

Bushranger_07

Crikey! Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, the unforgiving multiplayer shooter from the Red Orchestra devs, has gone down under for its first major update – and come back with an Australian fighting force that’s equipped with new weapons and vehicles. The fighting still takes place in Vietnam – it’s in the name, innit – but the Bushranger update also brings 3 new maps for the new soldiers to shoot their way around, as well positional voice chat and more.

(There won’t be any more lazy verbal Aussie appropriation in this post, promise.)

Continuing our ‘Matt does not know much about the Vietnam war’ theme, let me tell you about the new maps. Operation Forrest is the game’s “largest Supremacy map to date”, while Rung Sac is “an assault on a colonial French fort”. Lastly, Long Tan features “the iconic Australian night battle in heavy rain”. If your interest is piqued by the real history behind those maps, there’s a neat thread on the game’s steam community page which goes into just that. I’ve heard that the 10 part BBC documentary that’s currently airing is pretty good, too.

Jumping back into the video game details immediately after linking to that makes me feel a little uncomfortable, but if we’re going to play and talk about a game based on a relatively recent conflict then I don’t think the real world history is something we should shy away from.

The update also brings in the Bushranger helicopter, which is equipped with “Dual M60’s for the door gunners, reticulated miniguns and rocket pods”. You’ll also see the Canberra Bomber in the skies, in the form of a new commander ability that lets you send in the plane to carpet-bomb an area.

As well as the new features, the update also tweaks the balance of various weapons and squashes a swamp-load of bugs. Here are the patch notes in full.

Samuel Horti gave the game a glowing review:

“It’s not the most polished shooter but it does shine in all the right places, and it builds on the huge potential of Red Orchestra, which I loved. There are very few games that can match the feeling you get when you watch an artillery strike destroy a treeline and push up with your squad mates under the cover of smoke and deafening explosions. If you’re after a slower-paced shooter with tactical combat and tense moments, then it’s time to enlist.”

You can enlist via the Rising Storm 2’s Steam page, where the game is half price until 6pm GMT on December 1st.

1. Agnosticus says:

Great to hear! This will hook me back into the game after getting a bit bored of it 50-60h in.

If you haven’t bought it already, it’s on sale for just under 12€ right now!

2. JRHaggs says:

Derp. That’s an American in the header image. Or an Aussie who
    “borrowed” some Yank’s water bottles.

3. CaidKean says:

I hope it features historically accurate kangaroo cavalry.

• DEspresso says:

I think those were lost in the Great Emu Wars.
      CrickeyDingo

• corinoco says:

I don’t know why we don’t have a day celebrating the Great Emu War, and I still think it would make for an awesome strategy sim. We celebrate our other great defeats… yes, the Australian Army was beaten – by EMUS. It’s real, look it up.

As for Long Tan; you can win that by using the ‘crouch’ key. Which is what that Australian battalion did when they realised they were surrounded. They provided enough gunfire to start each side going, then laid low while the opposing flanks shot at each other in the dark. Quite brilliant tactics!

4. Saarlaender39 says:

“There are 6 new weapons in total, and seen as their specific models don’t tell me anything more than ‘LMG’ or ‘SMG’, I’ll leave those of you that are more au fait with historical boomsticks than I to look over them in the patch notes.”
    ———-
    L1A1 and L2A1 are variants of the same model (with the second being able to fire full-auto):
    link to en.wikipedia.org

The ugly ones, with their magazines in the line of sight of the shooter are the Owen SMG, resp. its successor, the F1 SMG.
    link to en.wikipedia.org
    link to en.wikipedia.org

The Browning Hi-Power is a semi-automatic pistol:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

The XM177E1 is the SMG variant of the M16:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

The Bushranger is a variant of the Huey:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

The Canberra Bomber:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

Why am I doing your work here, Alice?

• Alice O'Connor says:

It’s not my work to add excessive detail and a torrent of Wikipedia links.

• JohnnyG says:

You got the wrong Canberra, the RAAF used the English Electric Canberra: link to en.wikipedia.org
      The link you provided goes to the version of the Canberra used by the USAF.

• corinoco says:

In cadets we learned that an L1A1 could be turned into an L1A2 with the careful application of a matchstick. This of course was terribly naughty and not great for the gun, but it worked.

• Ghostwise says:

The dickery is strong in this one. Blaming Alice for an imagined mistake in an article written by Matt is just the cherry on top, I guess.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Ghostwise says:
        The dickery is strong in this one. Blaming (1.) Alice for an (2.)imagined mistake in an article written by Matt is just the cherry on top, I guess.
        *****
        1.) I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure, when the article got released, it was Alice’s name under the headline.
        The fact, that she’s the one answering to some comments here (mine included) kind of reassures me, that my memory is correct.
        2.) What imagined mistake are you referring to?
        I did not mention any mistake in my comment.
        Nor did I silently imply the existence of one.

If you very carefully re-read either the beginning of my comment, or the paragraph directly under the embedded video in the article, you’ll find the reason for my comment.

Here, in case you’re to dumb to find it on your own:

“There are 6 new weapons in total, and seeing as their specific models don’t tell me anything more than ‘LMG’ or ‘SMG’, I’ll leave those of you that are more au fait with historical boomsticks than I to look over them in the patch notes.”

Have a nice day!

• jimmybones says:

After, as you suggested, carefully re-reading the article and, then, your snide comment, I believe Ghostwise is correct in classifying your “Why am I doing your work here, Alice?” remark as tacitly implying the author had made what you imagined to be a mistake (ie, an “Imagined mistake”) of omission.

Do take care.

5. sewers-of-mars says:

‘Aussie appropriation’ lol first time I’ve hear that! Terra nullius and so on

• corinoco says:

Appropriation is our major national passtime. Land, sportspersons, New Zealish actors & bands, american fads, etc.

kfix says:

We don’t always have to keep them though. Mel Gibson for one.

6. ottovius says:

The use of ‘appropriation’ with regard to language is endlessly amusing. Appropriation means to take something away, and you can’t take words away from anyone, especially Aussies. Try it sometime.

• Stropp says:

Blimey! No other nationality can even do our accents!

Americans in particular always sound South African.

Strewth!

7. abr0 says:

Whoa, whoa.
    “Included in the Bushranger Content Update is a new ‘Local voice’ chat channel.”

That’s great news! I’d say that’s worth mentioning in the article.

8. zombiewarrior07 says:

“Crikey, get a dingo up ya, bloody drongos”!
    But seriously, good to see our troops in yet another superpower proxy war.

9. Palindrome says:

The voice acting is terrible. One of the ‘actors’ clearly did some of the US voices except that he is now affecting a barely passable ‘aussie’ accent. Surely they could at least have got some of their Australian community to record some lines?

Waltorious says:

That “BBC documentary” appears to be the American production by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick that originally aired on public television in America. At least I think so; some episode names are different. If it’s the same one, I can confirm that it’s very good.

Don’t mean to be pedantic, it’s just a rare case where I can be proud of American public TV. It’s tragically underfunded compared to the BBC so it often pales in comparison.

• Micky Nozawa says:

Unfortunately the BBC cut the episodes into 10 one-hour long episodes, whereas the original production was about 18 hours – meaning they cut out almost half the documentary. Wish I had known that before watching most of the episodes…

• Chaz says:

I saw it on BBC 4 and thought it was a very good series. Didn’t think it was a beeb show and I was surprised at how good and impartial it was for a US history doc. It’s a shame that full running time wasn’t shown or as close as. The problem of course is that the beeb don’t do adverts, so odd running times are hard to fit in their schedule, but they could have done 10 x 1 hour 30-45 min showings and only cut a little. Anyway, even so I still thought it was very good; having now read quite few books on the subject, including the books by Karl Marlantes and Duong Van Mai Elliott, who were both in the doc.

I found the secret White House tape recordings to be utterly fascinating. Incredible to think that such important decisions are made like that; weighed against the effects they would have on their country and the world at large in one hand and how it would affect their political careers in the other. On balance it often seemed like their political careers were of more importance to them.

It was certainly a much better series than some previous efforts, like the History Channel’s “Vietnam: Lost Films”. Which I felt brushed over or just excluded full stop, a lot of the more negative aspects of the war, and didn’t really have anything from the Vietnamese perspective. In conclusion it still felt like that series was peddling Nixon’s “Peace with honor” line.

11. Lord of Beer says:

Call me back when they have campaign mode. This game is a regression compared to RO2/RS until they have that core feature.