Battlezone 2 revamp coming next year

After last year releasing a revamped version of Battlezone, the 1998 RTS-FPS hybrid where spacelords join the battlefield themselves to drive vehicles and scamper about, Rebellion are now focusing on its sequel. Today they announced Battlezone Combat Commander, a remastered version of 1999’s Battlezone II. Coming some time in 2018, it’ll boast a similar amount of fancying-up as the Battlezone 98 Redux though with a less clumsy (but more confusing) name. Check out the announcement trailer:

If you know Battlezone as an ’80s arcade game (or a modern VR game channeling that), I’ll explain: yes, these games are sorta connected in that Activision licensed the old Battlezone brand, but beyond that they’re wildly different.

These Battlezones are RTS played on battlefields across our solar system and beyond, following a secret space war between the USA and USSR. They’re arcade real-time strategy games in the ’90s way, only players can also control vehicles ourselves to gain advantages from our superior warskills. They are good! The first is maybe better but hey, this isn’t bad.

Rebellion say that Battlezone Combat Commander will bring features including “slick new visuals, mod support for the game’s two-decade old modding scene, cross-play online multiplayer between GOG & Steam for up to 14 players, achievements,” and, in the Steam version but not on GOG, cloud saves.

And yes, Battlezone II does still have a modding scene. Two fellas from the original Battlezone II dev team have worked on unofficial patches since 2001 and modders are still modding away.

Battlezone Combat Commander is due some time in 2018. Big Boat Interactive, the folks who fancied up the first game, are behind this one too.

Drib says:

I liked Battlezone 2 back in the day. Maybe this’ll be fun. I wonder if they’ll make it VR like the battlezone remake.

2. bit.bat says:

The beeping sound when your units are getting attacked drove my family insane back in the day!

• revan says:

Oh yeah, that “beep” sound drove my mom crazy back in the day too. I need to have her over at my place when this is released, to relive the memories. :)

3. Dominic Tarason says:

I always liked Battlezone 2 more than the first. The big branch point in the campaign was especially cool.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, they’re using some of the community-made HD resources for the game. Model and texture packs and such.

As Alice mentioned, one of the original BZ2 developers has been unofficially patching the game for the past decade or so. I wonder if he’s involved in the remaster? He’s done some great work on it already.

• treat says:

Yes! I would have bought up the BZ1 remake in a heartbeat, except I somehow came to own it for free following closed beta access (shh don’t tell anyone). Still, I immediately dropped it once intentions to remake BZ2 were announced. BZ2 is my true hover tanking love, and we probably would have never met if it weren’t for the continued updates and server support over the years.

4. Juancho707 says:

BZ2 had a very cool multiplayer scene, managed to get into games even years after it was released. Very loyal fanbase

5. Artist says:

Depressing to see that the visual remake of a great game from 1999 looks like from 2005! Sad.

6. frenchy2k1 says:

We loved to play the 1998 BZ, but the AI units were *SOOOO* dumb it was ridiculous.
    Best way to cripple the enemy’s base was hide and snipe their harvesters’ pilots from the hills. As they died in a single shot, they did not even report any attack and their friends would go on next to the now empty vehicle.