Has Paladins been improved by its updates?

paladins

Playing Paladins is like walking into a supermarket in another country: you recognise most of the stuff in there, but everything is slightly wrong. But where exotic hypermarches have tubes of Prângles, cartons of Jiffy Cakes, and peanut-flavoured toothpaste, Paladins has bizarro versions of characters from Dota 2, Team Fortress, and Overwatch.

There’s the small ginger man with a Nordic name in an engineer’s jumpsuit who deposits turrets and defends them with a pocket blunderbuss. There’s a muscular German dude who can throw out a shield to block incoming fire, just like Overwatch’s Reinhardt. There’s even a direct D.Va-a-like: a smaller character riding a much larger mech who can jet forward on rocket boosters and absorb enemy fire with a front-facing shield.

These specific characters were some of Paladins’ first heroes, made available to all when the game went into open beta last year, and developer Hi-Rez hasn’t totally turned away from their peers’ successful MOBAs and multiplayer shooters in the months since. Tree-man Grover works like a much less hyperactive version of Overwatch’s Lucio, passively healing those around him. Flanking master Talus also feels like an Overwatch cast-off, borrowing Tracer’s ability to steam into close-range combat with dual machine guns before teleporting back to where he was a few seconds previous. Seris looks further afield, with the ability to load up foes with ghostly debuff orbs before bursting them for heavy damage — like Dota 2’s Shadow Demon.

It’s not just characters that they’ve found inspiration for in other games, too. Paladins’ modes include Payload: a fairly straight copy of the TF2 mode of the same name in which players have to capture and then escort a bomb into enemy territory. The main change is the speed of the match: Paladins games are over much quicker on average than a round of Overwatch or TF2.

But as Hi-Rez have added more heroes to their game (there are 34 of them now, with a new one arriving every month or so), they’ve also started straying further from existing templates. New birdy boy Strix has elements of TF2’s Sniper, but can flip between pistol and rifle and turn invisible for short periods, allowing him to adapt, and play a mid- or long-range role on the field. Space wizard Jenos is weirder, with the ability to lift enemies off the ground and hold them in place, before lowering his weapon and bouncing around the map at a boosted speed.

A few of these heroes are available to all players, while others rotate in and out for free-to-play people to sample for week-long periods. If you want them on a more permanent basis, they’re all available for unlock with in-game currency, individual payments of real-world cash, or — if you want them all in one go — by buying a Paladins Founder Pack (currently priced at $14). It’s not a particularly egregious price, but it does rankle when most of its obvious competitors offer their heroes up for free, and it’s made more annoying when Paladins has no easy way to test new heroes ahead of time to see if their abilities fit your play style.

It’s not quick to unlock a new hero, too, taking me about six hours of solid play to earn the necessary coin. I decided to focus on Terminus, a brand new addition to the game who sounded great: a grey-skinned frontline hero who can slam down hard with his humongous axe and absorb incoming damage with his glowy purple arm. But I found a problem with that plan very quickly — I was shit with Terminus.

Really, really shit. I launched myself into firing lanes, confident my glowing gauntlet would negate the incoming bullets, only to die a few seconds later. My ponderously slow walking speed meant I was stuck waddling around the midfield, waving my axe at people I couldn’t hit, and only launching myself into the air out of frustration. My ranged attack — a slow purple bolt — felt slow and weak, and his aerial attack was so heavily signposted that enemies just sauntered out of the way.

I ended up going straight back to Fernando, the Reinhardt-a-like with the portable screen shield, for my frontline duties, and immediately had myself some much more successful games. A few matches later, annoyed at the small pool of heroes available to free players, I grudgingly decided to get the Founder Pack, unlocking all of the other hero options the menu had previously greyed out. In that wider pool, I found far simpler and more effective characters than the complicated Terminus. They included Tyra, whose main ability is access to a powerful gun, Viktor — a Soldier 76-esque figure with a powerful gun — and new woman Vivian who packs a powerful gun, just for a change.

These shoot-happy heroes are satisfying to use. Not so much for the actual shooting — which is crisp enough but lacks the punch of a more pure FPS — but for their obvious applications on the field. Terminus, and some of his other more esoteric friends, feel particular unmoored when compared with these run-and gunners. It’s not that they don’t have a use — I’ve watched top-tier players deploy these characters with lethal precision — but they’re so specialised that they don’t always have a home in solo queue or pick-up games.

That’s a general feeling I got from Paladins. Despite looking and functioning like Overwatch’s heroes, Paladins’ characters feel more limited in their roles than Blizzard’s smaller band of misfits, and less capable of performing in auxiliary roles away from their core skillset. That’s in part because there’s so many of them, but that restriction is mitigated somewhat by Paladins’ card system, which allows players to load up their chosen character with buffs to specific skills and then choose individual builds as they head into games. I had two Strix builds, for example: one that optimised his movement speed during stealth and decreased the cooldown on his flare, ideally making him a primo spotter-sniper who could escape at the first sign of close-range trouble; and one that emphasised his pistol and played around lucky rifle snapshots.

The two builds felt slightly different, but I’m not convinced I would’ve clocked the specific bonuses had I not been primed to look for them. Then again, by drastically altering a character’s capabilities, the danger is that Hi-Rez would be vague-ing up the expectations of players on the opposing team and muddying strategic play.

It’s a question the developers themselves have wrestled with — how much should these cards impact play? — but for now at least, with the game still technically in Steam’s Early Access system, they’re fairly easy to come by. Cards can either be crafted with one of Paladins’ multiple in-game currencies, or found inside chests that are earned by playing games, and can be unlocked for free. Fresh (or lazy) players can simply equip the basic cards at the start of a match, using a set of default options that cast the chosen character as something of an all-rounder.

In general, those characters are not as charming or capable as the champions, heroes, and summoners of their peers’ games, but one thing that can be said for Paladins: there sure are a lot of them. The constant stream of new characters means that, even if Overwatch is eating most of its lunch, Hi-Rez’s game does at least have Blizzard beat when it comes to variety.

Update Night is a fortnightly column in which Rich McCormick revisits games to find out whether they’ve been changed for better or worse.

Drib says:

That last screenshot gives me stress. Holy crap it’s cluttered and full of garbage that is supposed to be important but that I don’t understand.

So, yep, MOBA.

• Phasma Felis says:

I know nothing about Paladins, but it looks straightforward enough if you’ve had any experiences with TF2-style FPSes. Members of each team in the upper corners, scoreboard and payload status in the top center. The status indicators above the crosshairs, and the payload messages below, are self-explanatory. Health in the lower left, I’m guessing skills in bottom center (all currently blocked because the player is stunned), and the cards Rich mentioned in the lower right.

It’s probably a poor choice for a screenshot because the current onscreen action is hard to decipher without context, but almost any game will have lots of moments like that.

• pigy33 says:

Morons like this is the reason we can’t have FPSes more in-depth than Call of Duty *sigh*

• Sir_Deimos says:

And this attitude is why MOBA players are considered the most toxic part of the gaming community. Having a cluttered UI with too much information is something ANY game can struggle with – but if that’s your thing than don’t force other people to enjoy it.

• Nelyeth says:

And this is why… oh boy, I was going to generalize too. Come on, it’s not the freaking stone age guys, we’ve evolved past tribal feuds some time ago. If you’ve got a beef with someone else’s comment, go on, make your point, but stop trying to blame it on a whole genre/platform/game/community.

• pigy33 says:

I wasn’t referring screen cluter, I was referring to the OP not being able to understand common sense things on the screen that only require you to be literate in English ex: reduced healing means you receive reduced healing.

But mainly I called him a moron (and cringed) for calling this game a MOBA when it really doesn’t have much depth at all ex: The card system is generic so you buy the same stuff every game, no in game leveling, a big part of doing well is your aim. Devs increased projectile speeds so most weapons are basically hit scan now.

Although yes I do love clutter on the screen like in Battleborn ^^ and if you don’t like it then you should feel bad :P

• Banks says:

Depth =/= Clutter

And in fact, Paladins has very little depth.

Drib says:

Having piles of disorganized garbage on a screen is not depth, man.

Look at… I dunno, Factorio. It’s got tons of stuff going on! But the UI itself is fairly clean, you don’t have ten million icons floating around constantly.

UI design does not directly imply depth nor shallowness of gameplay.

• Richard_from_Winnipeg says:

Your comment is spot on and yet also contextually very different.

From my understanding Factorio is a single player game, and without having played it, and my assumption is that there is a pause or time feature – or something which allows you to find the information you need in the UI when necessary.

FPS, MOBA, and MMORPG’s are online multiplayer games that are not asynchronous and thus require displaying of vast amounts of disparate data in a relatively quick manner for processing in a competitive or adversarial environment.

So I think you and Phasma Felis both make valid points.

I have nothing to add regarding Paladins specifically as I haven’t played it either and so know very little about it’s depth or lack thereof or it’s balancing and need for displaying various systems of gameplay.

• gabrielonuris says:

The header image made me think it was an Ubisoft game.

• mitrovarr says:

If you actually play the game it all makes sense.

Upper left – shows the player’s teammates, their health, and their ult (or whatever it’s called) status.

Upper right – shows the enemy team and their killstreaks.

Upper center – shows the current score, the payload position, and the time remaining.

Center – there are notifications for status effects (three of them, which is why it looks so busy). The player is also getting credits for contesting the payload.

Lower left – player health.

Lower center – status of player abilities (everything is disabled because they’re stunned)

Lower right – shows current burn cards and credits.

2. Nelyeth says:

“[…]by buying a Paladins Founder Pack (currently priced at $14). It’s not a particularly egregious price, but it does rankle when most of its obvious competitors offer their heroes up for free”

How is $14 to play every hero in a free-to-play a “rankling” price, when Overwatch boasts a $40 entry fee? That’s not offering heroes for free in my book.

• Phasma Felis says:

Agreed. I have a lot of problems with the free-to-play model as it’s usually implemented, but if they’re offering the equivalent of a normal retail version at a reasonable price, I see nothing to complain about.

• AngoraFish says:

Yes, that was the most bizarre criticism in the whole article.

As others have mentioned, the author’s main gripe appears to be that Paladins is not Overwatch.

• Rindan says:

Yeah, this criticism is seriously nuts. Their pricing model is actually completely respectable. If I had any interest at all in this game, I would totally try it. The worst aspect of free to play games is when they try and make it so that you can basically spend infinite money. Planetside 2 is like this. To get all the gear so you can stop thinking about having to buy stuff and just play the game, it would cause an absurd amount of money and there is no way to quickly do it. In this game, it sounds like $14 gives you all the game play. Fuckin’ sweet. I don’t care if there are billion dollars of cosmetics as long as the gameplay is just completely unlocked at some reasonable number that pretty much everyone who is interested in the game will pay.

Once you do that, it means that you are building a game around game play, not trying annoy people into paying to skip gameplay. This is free to play done completely right.

• Daemoroth says:

Yeah, my math may be a bit off but I’m almost 80% sure that 14 is smaller than 40?

And that 40 is larger than “free”.

• GameCat says:

You can easily unlock characters by in-game currency you get for playing. Since you even get premium currency for each 7 days long login streak (you just need to login, that’s all) you can even buy some skins for free.

I have 105 hours in Paladins, mostly by playing with friends, we didn’t spend single penny, so yeah, it’s definitelly F2P game.

And yeah, as someone above said – it doesn’t make you feel you’re behind people who pay. All gameplay is there either for free and some grind or for small fee that gives you every available characters as well every incoming characters.

• PseudoKnight says:

This got me curious, because that’s a model I can respect. Sure enough, it has all the other common F2P microtransaction flavors too. Oh well.

3. Phasma Felis says:

“Bizarro versions of characters from Dota 2, Team Fortress, and Overwatch” just sounds like Overwatch. :)

Don’t I recall reading that most of Paladins’ “Overwatch ripoff” characters were actually set in stone before Overwatch’s public announcement? I love Overwatch, but a lot of its heroes are carefully-tuned iterations on concepts from TF2 and other games rather than brand-new ideas–e.g. Overwatch’s Pharah and Paladins’ Drogoz are both fundamentally TF2’s Soldier plus a way to get airborne without the awkwardness of rocket jumping, so it’s no surprise that they’re similar.

• Rindan says:

Dude. Paladin ripped off Overwatch.

Overwatch ripped off no one. Neither did Team Fortress, or any of the other major shooters. They all took inspiration from each other, but at no point has someone watched an Overwatch clip and bust out laughing at how it is obviously ripping off Team Fortress or anything. Paladin doesn’t even try.

Look, it’s okay. It’s completely fine that Paladin is blatantly ripping off Overwatch. Blizzard isn’t some tiny little indie company that will be crushed by competition from a rip off competitor. No one is demanding that Paladin stop. It’s funnier than it is upsetting. But seriously though; don’t deny it. They ripped off a pile of Overwatch’s characters about as hard as you possibly can, and in the most transparent way you can, without being attacked by a lawyer.

• mitrovarr says:

“Overwatch ripped off no one.”

Soldier -> Pharah
        Pyro -> Mei
        Demoman -> Junkrat
        Medic -> Mercy
        Engineer -> Torbjorn
        Sniper -> Widowmaker

• mitrovarr says:

Oh yes, and while I’m thinking about it…

Sniper (Huntsman) -> Hanzo
          Medic (Crusader’s crossbow) -> Ana
          Engineer (Wrangler) -> Bastion

Not hating on Overwatch, but they borrowed concepts as liberally as Paladins did. Actually, Junkrat and Torbjorn might be worse copies than anything Paladins did (did you know Torb used to be able to build his turret to level 3, just like the TF2 engineer? And it fired rockets at level 3, like the TF2 engineer? And it required scrap, like the TF2 engineer?)

• rafters says:

Level 3 still exists through Ult and interestingly, the scrap cost idea remains where one of the tips explains that the level 1 turret ‘costs no scrap’ (implying that the level 2 does).

• Imperialist says:

You say this as if Blizzard EVER had an original idea in their entire existence. All their major IPs are a mish-mash of stolen ideas, some of which they even freely admitted to before they were eaten by Activision. Regardless…Paladins and Overwatch are practically the same game…except (dare i use the word) that OW has “Character”. I hate both artstyles, but OW has shreds of a soul buried in there. Paladins…not so much. Its literally like Pixar vs Dreamworks.

• goodpoints says:

and TF2 Soldier is a Quake knockoff :p

4. xenoss says:

No denying the characters in Overwatch and Paladins are similar (in looks AND abilities).

But remarkably, these 2 games are very different in the playing. I played Overwatch first and tried Paladins out of curiosity. I was delightfully surprised that they are so different because their concepts sound almost identical on paper.

• DeadlyAccurate says:

I play and like Overwatch significantly more, but I switch it up to Paladins sometimes. They’re both good games in their own right.

5. frostwyrm says:

Nice of you to provide an update article but it is very irritating how Overwatch players describe Paladins. I have personally never played OW but I don’t see why would I spend time nitpicking on how everything is a carbon copy of another game. There’s a crapload of MOBA and hero shooters out there and everything is a rehash at this point. You could have mentioned the actual gameplay differences like inability to change the character midgame or how Paladins was intended for esports while Overwatch suffers from a lot of issues in this area.
    You have also some stated some weird things that further demonstrate my point:
    1. Barik is not a Nordic name AFAIK
    2. Fernando is not a “German dude”
    3. Ruckus’s shield is not front-facing
    4. As far as I know you can try all champions and cards in the training arena but I’m not sure because I have the founder’s pack.
    5. “Champs lack charm, capability and no auxiliary roles”- Paladins is a strictly team based game, everything depends on cooperation. You can flank with tanks and frag with a healer but this doesn’t end well unless you know what you are doing.

• weird says:

6. Grover is Sylvanas’s mount in Smite, predating Overwatch.

• Rindan says:

If they didn’t want Overwatch players to giggle at how obviously and blatantly they are ripping off Overwatch characters, they shouldn’t have ripped off Overwatch characters with such hilarious transparency.

It’s okay dude. I am pretty sure that the makers of Paladin wanted people to draw the obvious black and white parallels. That’s the entire pitch of Paladin. It’s Overwatch, but different. Do you like Overwatch? Try Paladin. Breath. I am pretty sure the developers have made peace with their attempts to ride Overwatch’s wake. You should too.

• mitrovarr says:

I really don’t feel like most of the characters rip off Overwatch. There’s a couple, yeah (the first time I saw Maeve I was like “Oh hi, Genji”) but there’s a lot of Paladins characters that have no meaningful similarity to any Overwatch character. And, a lot of the characters that are kind of ripped off are implemented in less obnoxious ways – for instance, Hi-Rez had the sense to give Genji’s speed and double jump to one character and deflect to another, so there isn’t any one character with Genji’s maddening unkillability.

Also, Paladins has some key improvements over Overwatch. For instance, the balance team isn’t completely and utterly incompetent. In competitive, each team can ban one character so there’s no chance of one horribly overpowered character completely owning the meta for months (*cough* Mercy *cough). There’s no zero-aim easy-mode hero like Mercy either, healers are expected to actually participate in combat and do real damage. Tanks also have a larger role. Flankers are important, but they’re generally more vulnerable and less likely to carry the team.

• TorQueMoD says:

ALso Paladins was in development long before Overwatch was announced as many have pointed out, so saying they’re ripping off characters is unfair. That said, the author didn’t say they were ripped off, he just said that they are similar which is true.

6. Tigris says:

Seriously is it possible to climb even more into blizzards ass, than done in this article?

Yes overwatch was announced before, and yes some of the characters are quite similar, but it is not like Overwach characters are unique. Both games try to check all “steroetypes” to have something for everyone.

Developing such a game (including characters) takes a long time, even if they release a character every 2-3 month does not mean the character only took 2-3 months. Characters can be in development for longer (in parallel) like in most games (LoL). So just saying “oh that character is like character X from overwatch” is just unfair.

Of course they are influenced by overwatch (they increased the time to kill quite a bit to be more similar to overwatch), but it is not just a ripoff as this article reads.

“Despite looking and functioning like Overwatch’s heroes, Paladins’ characters feel more limited in their roles than Blizzard’s smaller band of misfits, and less capable of performing in auxiliary roles away from their core skillset”

just looks totally false.

In overwatch most characters are one shot ponys even if they can do their trick in different positions (when defending of when attacking or when flanking) they still only have their one trick. They sometimes don’t even have an alternative fire, or the alternative fire is just “shoot the primary fire faster but with a bit a different spread”. In paladins characters have 2 different firemodes and 2 different abilities plus their ultimate. The characters in paladins may be more focused in one role (even though I am not that sure if thats even true), but they have more tools at their disposal to fulfill their role.

Than stating “oh these greedy bastards want 14$ for their 34 heroes” when blizzards wants 50 and even team fortress 2 was not free when it was newly released. (Also quite a time during the beta all characters were free (when the number of them was smaller).

• stringerdell says:

It’s an uninspired Overwatch rip off. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

7. BaronKreight says:

What I don’t understand is why in the era of lootbox critisisms hi-rez can get away with selling a whole myriad of different lootboxes which you can only realistically get for real money. This is crazy. I didn’ count but I think it’ll cost a small fortune to get all the stuff they sell in their lootboxes.

• Rindan says:

After the $14 for all of the characters, is the rest of the stuff cosmetic? If yes, than that is why no one cares. It’s cosmetic. You don’t need it. If you were not willing to pay money for it, they wouldn’t have bothered to make it.

• mitrovarr says:

It’s not entirely cosmetic (you need cards, so there’s some grind left) but stuff unlocks at a reasonable rate and the founder’s pack has enough currency in it to completely unlock everything for a few characters. And you don’t really ‘need’ all the card to play a character well (in fact some are probably pretty worthless).

8. Michael Fogg says:

The shield guy, Fernando, is clearly Spanish or pseudo-Latin, not German.

• AngoraFish says:

Yes, he has a Flamenco rose in his mouth for god’s sake.

• Menthalion says:

Not only that, he and a lot of other Paladin heroes were based on classes in Hi-Rez former games, predating OW by years.

Yet another writer at RPS going for some lazy click / flamebait articles trying to throw up some controversy where there is none.

9. Menthalion says:

You know an article has failed its purpose if its catch is to match every hero in a game to an Overwatch character, and tries too hard by including Soldier 76, who was purposely designed to resemble any generic shooter protagonist ever as an entry point into the game.

10. safarii says:

“There’s a muscular German dude who can throw out a shield to block incoming fire, just like Overwatch’s Reinhardt. There’s even a direct D.Va-a-like: a smaller character riding a much larger mech who can jet forward on rocket boosters and absorb enemy fire with a front-facing shield.”

You should actually play the game first before writing an article. Ruckus came before D.va. Hell IGN put up a video of them playing Ruckus themselves before D.va was even officially revealed. Kinda funny how all you have to do is play a F2P game but you couldn’t even do that. Little ridiculous how lazy some people are. Ruckus has no defense matrix. He just has a personal shield. All you have to do is click on him to know this. Same with Fernando. All you have to do is click on him and he’ll say his name in a very thick hispanic accent.

How can you have such an easy job and continue to drop the ball? Jesus man.

• TorQueMoD says:

@safarii – Whether or not D.Va came first doesn’t negate the fact that Ruckus is similar in terms of design. He wasn’t saying which came first.

11. DeadlyAccurate says:

US minimum wage is approximately $7/hour. For the cost of two minimum-wage work hours, you can unlock every character past and future. You spent 6 hours to unlock a single character, so you essentially “worked” for about $2.50/hour.

Just spend the $14!

• DarkYuan says:

€14 actually, so $19.99 USD or currently $21.99 CDN. The point still stands though.

12. Kaarek says:

Oh, look! Another Blizzard d**k rider fanboy.
    Back to our topic, I’ve bought OW not too long ago since it was on sale to see what’s all about.(Since people keeps proclaiming OW is better than Paladins in all aspects).
    It is quite depressing to tell you this but OW is a kid’s game and I’ve got that feeling from the first few matches, no wonder most Esports teams switched to Paladins.
    I’ve played Smite for more than 4 years and Hi-Rez improved it massively and they will do the same with Paladins.
    The only thing I liked about OW is the graphics and the characters introduction but that’s it. The gameplay itself is garbage and certain characters are a joke.
    I’ve played for the first time with Mercy and got 28 kills in a row. *cough so balanced cough*
    Paladins’s gameplay is completely better and way more entertaining than OW, you can bash me and get all “Fanboy Mode ON” as much as you want. I’ve tried both games and I’ve preffered Paladins.
    AS many professional players said before OW is for casual gamers while Paladins for competitive gamers.
    WE can stay here argue who copied who in a world made of re-hashed games, we all know everyone copies everyone or borrows ideas, that’s nothing new but Paladins has been in development way before OW was even announced so you should do some research, of course I saw some identical skills similarities in both games.
    I am sure Paladins will get an upgrade from unreal engine 3 to 4 like they did with Smite’s maps and then you’ll see the real beauty of the game itself.
    Thank you for your useless article trying to bash a very fun game and enjoy di*k riding Blizzard, I’m sure they payed you enough Mr Grumpy Pants.
    Edit: I’d like to add the reply from Todd Harris that he left on his interview for IGN: Read Harris’ full statement below:

While Overwatch is a fine game, it was not the inspiration for Paladins. Game development is an interactive process with ideas coming from many past projects. For the hero shooter genre, the game that deserves the most credit is Team Fortress 2. We released a TF2 inspired class-based shooter called Global Agenda way back in 2010. Paladins was conceived as a fantasy version of Global Agenda and of the approximately 85 combat abilities currently in Paladins, the vast majority are from the game Global Agenda we made 10 years ago.

Given the marketing of Overwatch many people do not even realize that some of our champions, like the mini-gun mech (Ruckus) and the ice block character (Evie), were available and playable in the Paladins Beta long before similar character abilities were shown in Overwatch. And specific features, such as Chests, were also demonstrated in Paladins ahead of Overwatch. People who are interested can see all this early gameplay footage on YouTube and come to their own conclusions.

13. Varileztra says:

Only a couple of sentences in and i already question, if the author of these lines ever actuallly played paladins. The only Reinhardt-ish character in the game is Fernando. DID YOU EVER LISTEN TO HIM? Did you EVER look at his name? DO YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF HOW GERMANS SPEAK OR THEIR NAMES? And since when do we germans say “amigo” ? ffs.

Ruckus is the only D.Va-ish character. Front facing shield? Where? please show me ruckus’ front facing shield? Not to mention, that hee was able to fire rockets FAR before Dva was able to do so.

Also, would you kindly show me Talus’ second Minigun, you refer to? Since he only wields one.

If there actually is anything accurate in this post, somebody please direct me to it, i stopped reading before the second screenshot, since up to that point, it was all bollox.

14. TorQueMoD says:

I’ve been playing Paladins for months now and I have to say it’s one of the best F2P games I’ve played. I can understand the confusion of the huge variety of champions if you’re new to the game, but my suggestion is to simply try a round with all that are available at least once. Also, it may not be obvious at first, but the game expects you to learn how to play well with at least 5 champions (before you can play competitive) because there will often be times where someone picks your Main and then you can’t and because the champions are sort of all set up in a Rock, Paper, Scissors style where they’re all weak to someone else which ends up giving the game a whole load of strategic depth. I can’t compare to Overwatch as I haven’t played it yet but Paladins is really an underappreciated gem.

As I mentioned earlier, be sure to try out every champion you can. I made the mistake of sticking with one champion (Ash) that I liked until I got her to level 9 before really trying anyone else which meant that I completely avoided my now current favorite champion (Maeve) because she was a completely different play style than what I’m used to. Mostly I prefer Tanks (or as I call them, Barbarians) but after playing as Maeve for a while I discovered she’s almost more of a Tank than the frontline champions are. Sure, she’s got super low health, but when you learn how to run in and out of battle, you can survive for just as long as a tank, possibly even longer and boy does she dish out the damage. I can wreck even the Frontline characters in a matter of seconds most of the time. Paladins is right up there with CS as one of my all time favorite competitive shooters. Oh, and it’s not at all like a MOBA – those confuse the shit out of me.