Wolfenstein 2 now has a single-level demo

wolfenstein-stealth-path

The prophecies were true – demos are back. This time it’s Nazi-bludgeoning romp Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus that’s offering a morsel of its shoots and boots (we’ve mentioned it before, but here’s a reminder). The demo only lets you play through the first level, so it really is a teeny tiny taste. “Should you choose to upgrade to the full version of the game,” enthuses this faceless Bethesda announcement, “all of your save data will carry over.” Right so.

You can get the sampler by clicking the oft-overlooked “Download Demo” box on the right hand side of the Nazi blaster’s Steam page. It’s a shame they didn’t at least include the second level, when the game switches things up a bit and ditches the opening gimmick. It’s a good gimmick but if it was all I saw of the shooter I probably would have dismissed it, er, even quicker than I already did. But shush, me. Adam thought the fascist fighting was great in his Wolfenstein 2 review. Here’s a bit of wot he thunk:

The whole game is spinning a lot of plates, though perhaps it’s more like juggling chainsaws. From the opening scenes, it’s brutal in both its language and its depiction of violence. Domestic abuse, virulent racism, innocents harmed and murdered. That it then spins off into grindhouse grit and slapstick comedy, before pinballing into melancholy, dread, romance and sentimentality is absurd. I found it to be brilliantly absurd, and laughed, cringed and cried (yes, I cried while playing a Wolfenstein game; 2017 is weird), but be prepared for some real horrors alongside all of the imagined ones.

Hey, it’s a free demo folks, and the opening does set the scene story-wise. Why not give it a poke?

1. napoleonic says:

Wot no tooltip?

2. Grizzly says:

I tried the demo before purchasing the discounted game on steam and yes, save data carries on flawlessly. It’s well worth a try, and I really like this approach to demos that Bethesda have been going for lately. It ironically reminds me a bit of the shareware days…

3. Seafoam says:

Demos are valuable because with them you can see if the game runs smoothly on your machine. I don’t understand they have been absent for so long

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, totally agree. Not only does demos give you a sense of how it plays, but also, like you said, it lets you know how well it will run on your PC. Wolfenstein has some really beefy requirements, so I’m glad they’re giving out a demo.

The reason why demos went away are probably many, from how it takes time out of a busy development schedule, to some inane reports about games with demos selling fewer copies than those without. Being able to first hand experience how bad your game is = bad for business.

4. Excors says:

I appreciate the audacity of releasing an FPS demo in which you are almost entirely sitting down.

It might not be very representative of the full game’s gameplay, but you can probably guess what that’s like anyway (it’s a shooter; you shoot people) – it’s more valuable in demonstrating the distinctive tone (a combination of seriousness and absurdity) that makes the game so much fun.

5. AndyR says:

It’s a very useful test if the last one have you motion sickness. (Spoiler – this one will too)