Podcast: Our most anticipated games of 2018

"YOU SHALL MAKE A NICE PURSE, DRAGON!"

What do you mean there’s a whole month of 2017 left? Well, the disembodied mouths of the RPS podcast, the Electronic Wireless Show, are tired of waiting. This week the team look at some of the most exciting upcoming games of 2018. Adam is looking forward to smashing big robots with other, bigger robots in Battletech. Matt wants to make trousers from dinosaur skin in Monster Hunter World. And Brendan forgot all about how much he’s excited by surreal isometric detective game No Truce With The Furies.

We’ve also got some chat about Viking strategy game Northgard and yet more love for FTL follow-up Into The Breach. Plus, our Patch Adam quiz is back!

You can listen above, or go straight to Soundcloud where you can download it for later.

You can also get the RSS feed here or find it on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. Anticipatory music is by Jack de Quidt.

Want to write in with questions or suggest a theme for a future episode? Now you can, to podcast@rockpapershotgun.com.

Links:

Surreal detective game No Truce With The Furies

Turning dinos into pants in Monster Hunter World

Anthem looks borrrrring

But Frostpunk looks good

The Crew 2 is accidentally a transformers game

A road trip in The Crew

Phoenix Point is X-COM man’s new game

Cyberpunk 2077 doesn’t have a release date but looks good

Civilization VI’s Rise and Fall expansion is out next year

Adam loves Kingdom Come: Deliverance’s skill trees

My Summer Car review (early access)

Into The Breach is ace, so say we all

So is Northgard

1. Seafoam says:

Damn you! The header image rekindled my hype for Monster Hunter World again.
    Now I gotta bust out the MH4U on the old DS to make me not spoil the game.
    Like an alcoholic latching onto coffee to soothe that deep craving.

• AmeliaBaxter says:

I’m making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $120 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do… Click Here & Start Work

2. Someoldguy says:

Stomp

Stomp

Stomp

Battletech!

3. juan_h says:

Mount & Blade but with turn-based, tactical combat is a thing I have long desired. (Yes, I know about Battle Brothers. I’ll get it eventually.) Mount & Blade with turn-based, tactical combat and, ahem, GIANT ROBOTS (sorry) may well prove irresistible (provided there’s a Linux version).

4. zulnam says:

I fear that ‘No Truce With The Furies’ will be one of those games with a name waaaaaaaaay cooler than the actual game.

Unless it will have a shotgun-wielding scene similar to MW2’s “No Russian”.

5. Donkeyfumbler says:

Really enjoying the podcast these days – brightens up at least one of my drives back from work each week – so thanks for putting it together. Also, please tell Graham that he’s not so important that he can’t make the occasional appearance.

Can anyone suggest any other gaming podcasts for the other days of the week? I like the UK PC Gamer one, though it is a bit annoying how it can sometimes go weeks between shows and the Crate and Crowbar comes in at number 3. Would prefer UK based – not sure why, but the US ones don’t do it for me for some reason.

6. aepervius says:

Is Cyberpunk 2077 even still a project ? I mean , it has been 4 years announced, there has been zero update on the official page or the twitter account or anything I can see….

• KillahMate says:

It absolutely is. People ask CDP about Cyberpunk constantly, and they always answer that the game is underway, it’s looking to be huge (much bigger than The Witcher 3), and they’ll talk about it when they’re ready. They got burned with the announcement trailer for W3 and the whole downgrade fiasco, and now they don’t want to show anything that they can’t 100% guarantee will be in the game on release.

It’s rumored to contain lots of firearms, drivable vehicles, a huge open world, DarkSouls-like integrated multiplayer features, and of course a custom player character.

7. Dances to Podcasts says:

Europeans are so bad at the “I’m so excited” thing.

Comment on this story