Rainbow Six Siege ends year with Operation White Noise

r6whitenoise

Rainbow Six Siege’s second year of updates has closed with Operation White Noise, the natural enemy of insomnia. It launched yesterday and introduces a new map, Mok Myeok Tower in South Korea, along with three new operators with diverse skills. One of them can even hack your phone to distract you. Stop reading messages from lonely singles in your area, there’s a mission to finish (and a launch trailer to watch).

As well as hacker Dokkaebi, there’s sneaky Vigil, who’s able to slip past cameras, and heavy-hitting Zofia, who’s armed with concussion and impact ammunition. You probably noticed her extreme dislike for walls in the trailer. I get that. Open-plan all the way.

If you haven’t played Rainbow Six Siege for a while, here’s Rich finding out if the squad shooter has been improved by its updates. Here’s a snippet:

30-plus hours of play just to unlock a new character feels grindy — because it is — but Siege does at least let players get stuck in to all of its levels, even if they’re lumped with the Starter Edition. The pool of stages has been added to as new operators have joined the fray, themed around their country of origin, and now includes Japanese rooftop mansions, Balaeric bars, and Brazilian favelas. I was happiest when we ended up on new maps Coastline and Skyscraper — primarily because both are a bit brighter than the overwhelming brownness of Siege’s grungier locales — but none of the stages skimp on the destructible walls, and so remain fun to rearrange.

To play with Operation White Noise’s new operators, you’ll either need to buy the Year 2 pass from Uplay or Steam, or you can purchase them using in-game credits from next week. The map, however, is available to everyone straight away.

1. haradaya says:

I have to add that it does not take 30 hours plus to unlock new operators. The 20 operators available from the game’s launch are 500-2000 in-game credits, easily earned by doing the tutorial missions.
    It’s the DLC operators that’ll cost you 25000 credits if you don’t buy the season pass. That can take a while, but still not 30 hours.

• Boozebeard says:

I think if you buy the cheaper starter edition it makes all the ops 25000 credit unlocks. It’s nice they added a lower price point for entry but it’s not the kinda thing you have an reference for when you buy it, a bit of a stinger when you realise jut how much longer it’s gonna take to unlock all the ops.

• shad says:

A match typically lasts around 30 minutes. The reward, depending on your performance, is around 300 renown, with about 2k renown per week obtainable by completing the challenges. I’d say 30 hours isn’t even enough.

That being said, I think it’s a bit unfair of RPS to always sell off this grind as a big negative thing. 20(!) out of the 36 total operators are very cheap, costing 500-2000 renown. These are not inferior in any way, and you can have a perfect experience only playing these ever.
      R6 just adds the option for players to enjoy their DLC completely free of charge if they want to, it’ll just take them a while to unlock the new operators.

2. Banks says:

I love both the new map and the Korean operators. They are not perfectly balanced yet but they are very original and change the game in a substantial way. They also enrich some existing operators (IQ, Jackal, Mute, Echo…), which is great.

Polish operators, however, are uninspired and overpowered. They don’t feel designed with a certain play style in mind. They have no clever strategies or clear disadvantages so they are not fun to play as or against.

I hope that, during next year, they offer us more characters like the spanish and korean ones and less like the polish. It’s also disappointing to hear that we will only have two new maps, but if those maps are excellent and the rework of Favela is worthwhile then Y3 will be at least as good as this one. With the bonus of whatever the new coop mode is (which a lot of people wanted for a long time).

Also, there is a very fair method of unlocking all operators instantly and avoid all the grind. You can’t expect to have all for free. Its fair, its clear, you have two choices and there is no gambling involved. Complaining about this is unreasonable.

PS: I agree that the starter edition is a horrible experience.

• Nosebeggar says:

I agree that the GROM operators feel a little uninspired and while I love playing Zofia so far, she’s little more than a slightly different ash. Ela on the other hand, while she may seem boring, is one of the most tactical operators in the game and the amount of cool maneuvers I’ve pulled with her are insane. She was way OP when she came out and now she is balanced, but still a little unfair to play against. The mines can be anywhere and maybe even impossible to shoot before entering the room.

I love playing ela, she is the best thing about Blood Orchid.

• Vorrin says:

got starter edition, cause I’m legendarily tight fisted. It takes really a long while to unlock operators, but some people must be like me, and be perfectly fine playing a lot with the same few operators ( I think I would behave similarly even if I had all of them to choose amongst) and soon enough you end up having a fairly sizeable amount of choice anyway.

So, personally I had a really good time with the starter edition, and think it’s impossibly good value for money! (and the game is really excellent, I realised, after snobbing it for two years as ‘more counterstrikelikes’)(it is a counterstrike-like, but imo it’s basically counterstrike v2)

Godwhacker says:

RPS, you’re slipping. The correct headline here is “Black Op, White Noise: Rainbow 6 Siege’s Final Year Two Update”, followed by the article as is, and then an embedded YouTube video of David Bowie’s track ‘Black Tie, White Noise’ from the album of the same name, as shown below.

Comment on this story