Getting Over It is out now, watch me flail and fail in it

I'm trying but it hurts

Let me tell you a clubhouse secret. We have a mantra at RPS for deciding what to write about, and it’s as simple as it is helpful: ‘a good time should be shared online’.

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy released on Steam yesterday, and whatever kind of time it is, the only way I can properly share it is if you’re with me. In the moment. Here are four agonising minutes of me flailing around as a man stuck in a cauldron trying to ascend a mountain with a hammer.

Getting Over It is the latest game from QWOP and GIRP creator, Bennett Foddy. In this one he speaks directly to you, gently musing on the nature of progress and failure as you accidentally hurl yourself down the mountain and undo hours of progress.

You know what, no more words. Only pain.

The game’s already been out for a month as part of October’s Humble Monthly, but you can now grab it on Steam for £5.79/$7.99/€7.99.

Good luck.

Don Reba says:

Looks smashing.

mcjamieuk says:

Is it in the Humble Monthly? I haven’t paid for December’s yet, but it’s not listed among the early unlocks…

• clonex10100 says:

It was in a past monthly as a humble original. If you subscribe now you can download it from free from the humble trove.

Aerothorn says:

1. He meant “October Humble Monthly,” not December.

2. It’s available in the Humble Trove, and thus you can download it from there, for keeps, no matter which bundle you’ve subscribed to!

4. Alberto says:

Amazingly, it’s got a lot of clones on the app store, some of them cloning it even in name. Before launch.

Bad time to be innovative. You’ll be either unknowm to the public or ripped out on sight.

5. jakedrake says:

This is almost identical to an ancient indie game I think by cactus? You had to traverse terrain by moving your pick or hammer in a circle to buggily latch onto surfaces exactly like this. Anyone remember that? Trying to find it but cactus’ flash site doesn’t make it easy for me.

• LTK says:

You’re right, it was called Sexy Hiking, I read an article about it a while back.

• renner says:

In Getting Over It, while you’re flailing around, Bennett Foddy periodically comes in with little voice over segments, and he talks extensively about Sexy Hiking. This game is an homage to it.

• jakedrake says:

Thank you! That tidbit might actually cause me to play this game. I used to follow Cactus’ games back in the emerging indie era. I’d love to see an RPS retrospective on Cactus’ early days of extreme experimentation if it hasn’t already been done. His style is so strange and unsettling but was way more demanding before Hotline Miami; very much along the lines of Modern Art.

6. NelsonMinar says:

Faker has been playing this in his Twitch stream between rounds of League of Legends. If you don’t know he’s generally considered the world’s best LOL player and possesses superhuman skill at the game. So it’s quite hilarious watching him flail about with this little game and fail over and over again. Looks like fun.

7. Cederic says:

It’s much easier that QWOP. Which means it’s only mildly impossible.

Glad I had the chance to play it, but also glad it came to me in a bundle and I didn’t have to hand over cash explicitly for it.

Neurotic says:

I greatly enjoyed the video Matt, good job with that! (I then watched a couple of speed runs of the thing which blew my mind. Will we see you do it in less than 2:30s? ;)

Comment on this story