Death Stranding continues to perplex in new trailer

At The Game Awards last night, Geoff Keighley introduced the new trailer for his best pal’s bold new take on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 1994 comedy, Junior. That’s about the best explanation I could come up with after watching the eight minute trailer for Kojima’s Death Stranding. Enjoy the mishmash of science fiction and horror ideas below.

Enjoyment is probably not what the trailer is going for, mind you. Kojima fills his games with bizarre cutscenes as a matter of course, and Death Stranding — a game we know absolutely nothing about, still — reaches new heights of WTF am I watching? At the same time, it does show us a great deal, though absent context none of it really makes sense.

There’s a weird pod baby that somehow ends up inside Norman Reedus’ character, invisible monsters, a giant monster, some other monsters and lots of gross muddy, oily water. The trailer really seems to be pushing the idea of vulnerability. There’s the baby, of course, the very definition of vulnerable, but there’s also the fact that Reedus and his pals seem to be powerless to handle the invisible creatures hunting them. All they can do is try to stop breathing.

So despite being utterly nonsensical, I’m still… a bit intrigued? I’m certainly hungry for more. Also, let’s not forget about those weird flappy light-arm thingys. They look like someone crossed a desk lamp with Johnny 5. In what is an otherwise oppressively gloomy trailer, they are a welcome spot of whimsy.

There’s still no release window yet, not even a year, but I wouldn’t hold your breath for a 2018 launch.

1. welverin says:

Looked like standard Kojima to me and I like standard Kojima, so I’m in.

2. digital_sneeze says:

So much intriguing imagery for me in this. Not usually a fan of non-gameplay trailers but this one won me over.

3. Madcat_Zam says:

I think this game will deal with environmental issues. If you look at the trailer at the 7:20 mark, it reminded me of Iron Eyes Cody in The Crying Indian commercials about pollution: link to

phuzz says:

It’s nice to see that David Lynch does share his stash from time to time.

• Vorrin says:

that’s pretty much exactly what I thought (together with ‘is this going to be the Silent Hill 3 we never had?’). Would be pretty excellent to have a Japanese videogame David Lynch!

• Javier says:

Didn’t see much Lynch here (while Silent Hill has always drunk from the same well), but I do agree that both Lynch and Kojima must be sharing a sizeable stash.

5. noiseferatu says:

Wait, so is this not a PS4-exclusive since this site is covering it?

6. Umberto Bongo says:

Wait, has this been announced on PC?

• RealWeaponX says:

Pretty sure it’s a PS4 exclusive, unless I’ve missed something. Not sure what it’s doing here. Wishful thinking?

• Javier says:

If nothing’s changed, the game was originally announced for PC too.

• Sascha23 says:

It was stated in 2016 that the game is coming to PS4 (console exclusive) and PC (which I assume will be Steam). They confirmed Sony is helping with funding, but Kojima can bring to PC — similar to how SFV was handled. That said, will we have to wait after PS4 release for this unhinged goodness? Possibly.

• Umberto Bongo says:

Excellent, I had no idea. Always impressed with Kojima’s ambition but Metal Gear seems way too inaccessible given how little of the series I’ve been able to play.

• CaidKean says:

Problem is that since then the official Q&A that opened the possibility of it coming to PC has been deleted.

There has been no further mentions of a PC version at all by Sony or Kojima Productions, they have regularly occurring video blogs on YouTube where they discuss all manners of things.

I have heard but can’t find the source at the moment, that supposedly due to the popularity of the title Sony decided to finance the project in full in exchange for proper exclusivity. The engine being used now is developed internally by a Sony first-party studio.

I’m sadly skeptical of a PC release now, if it was Microsoft-funded I’d be far more open to the possibility but I’m guessing Sony put down the hammer hard after seeing what hype the title generated. They’d naturally want to maximize what they get out of financing the project by ensuring it sells as many PS4 consoles as possible by making it a full-on exclusive.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this ends up but I’m beginning to get really tired of the way many people online seem to worship Kojima as some sort of Genius-Philosopher-Auteur. Especially given the huge amount of people that have worked on his titles and the fact that he wasn’t at Konami given completely free rein to do whatever he wanted though I know people would like to believe that. There was regularly input from marketing on certain design choices, which isn’t surprising since Konami isn’t a charity.

With all that negativity out of my system, I expect it to be an interesting title if nothing else and if it’s really good it might very well be the final push I need to pick up a PS4.

7. Synesthesia says:

Just hook it directly to my veins.

8. Freud says:

Might end up as pure drivel, but I won’t blame any developer for aiming high.

9. Smaug says:

Tis is so crazy, I love it!

10. Ben King says:

The magical glowing icons over guards’ heads indicating alert status are now ACTUAL blinking lightbulbs attached to characters to indicate alert status… this seems like a technological step backwards from the time honored gaming tradition of magical glowing exclamation marks.

11. DudeshootMankill says:

This looks effing great.

12. MadJax says:

Yep, definitely looks like Kojima is finally disappearing up his own arse.

13. spec10 says:

looks like a PS4 exclusive to me, am I missing something here?

14. Caiman says:

Kojima’s storytelling comes across like that of an 11 year old kid with a million dollar budget. Just imagine being able to put all that awesome in your head up on the screen!

• Turkey says:

Seems like a better investment than giving all those millions to David Cage.

15. kyynis says:

how is babby formed
    how Norman get pragnent

16. Avus says:

this trailer does nothing to attract me to play the game, but it attracted me to watch the rest of the “movie”…

• 111uminate says:

That’s good, because it’s clearly not a gameplay trailer.