Metro Exodus bids Moscow farewell in the new trailer

metroexodus

For a Metro trailer, the latest Metro Exodus video sure spends a lot of time out of the Metro. A lovely old Soviet locomotive gets top billing over the gloomy, dark underground tunnels. It’s Artyom’s new home and his way to escape dilapidated Moscow. Sadly no gameplay footage made it in, though. Take a gander below.

Metro Exodus was revealed last E3, once again following stoic series (and book) protagonist Artyom has he explores and fights through post-apocalyptic levels of both the linear and open persuasion. Exodus, as the name suggests, sees Artyom and his pals not just leave the titular Metro, but Moscow itself, as they traverse the Russian wasteland by train.

Previous excursions above ground in the earlier Metro games saw us exploring urban ruins and managing our oxygen supply, but a journey across a continent implies we’ll be doing a lot more than scrambling around the carcass of a city. I’m particularly looking forward to attempting to survive a miserable nuclear winter like a post-apocalyptic sadist — Exodus covers a full year, through spring and all the way to what will undoubtedly be an unpleasant winter.

Metro’s always had a slight survival bent — conserving ammo and managing oxygen are key to staying alive. A trip through the wilderness sounds like the perfect opportunity to lean into that side of things even more, however. Though perhaps in different ways. Does the rest of Russia use bullets as currency? And wouldn’t some of it have escaped the worst of the apocalypse and thus not require a gas mask to explore?

We’ll no doubt find out as we get closer to the autumn 2018 release date.

1. Czrly says:

Ah. The Metro games. Truly great in my opinion. Linear shooters, sure, but properly immersive and fun. Not a micro-transaction or loot-box or political agenda in sight.

• Bullett00th says:

True that.

There was however an unpleasant issue with Last Light where they sold the Ranger difficulty for money, which is awful BS. I hope it doesn’t happen with the next one

• woodsey says:

Yeah, nothing political about a post-apocalyptic Russia destroyed by nukes, the revival of Communism v Nazism, war-mongering against and fear of things and people we don’t understand, and the unending trauma of being isolated from the global community.

• Hartford688 says:

I’m guessing he means no social/political agenda he doesn’t like.

• woodsey says:

I know. But I think it’s good form to point out just how ridiculous the “there’s no politics in my videogames” argument is.

• Grizzly says:

Or never got the alternative ending.

• Czrly says:

I only saw one ending — don’t know which — but I didn’t relate any of the groups of people in the game to groups of people in today’s conflicts and if you look at recent AAA shooters, that is not always something you can say. Not one person was deemed a terrorist because they were brown and vaguely islamic, for example.

• Daymare says:

Instead one Dark One was deemed a monster, because he was black and vaguely humanoid.

2. snugglez says:

Loved Stalker games, so the Metro games just came up WAY short in comparison. Stalker had A-life, which made the world the star, not you. The mechanic of face masks in Metro was smothering, a hassle, and just dumb: I want to explore the world they built, instead they put me on a timer. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking.

In the end, I guess I’m just not an FPS guy. I want more.

• Masked Dave says:

I don’t think Metro was ever trying to be STALKER. It was more like a Half-Life or Bioshock. Linear shooter with an atmospheric setting. The gas masks are about inserting tension into your activities, which certainly worked for me.

• Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

The most beautifully designed areas with the greatest degree of freedom and your exploration is limited by a timer.

A terrible gameplay mechanic in my opinion, the inhospitable conditions of the surface could have been represented in much less intrusive ways. A timer is the epitome of lazy game design when trying to create tension.

3. tslog says:

Another series with excellent looking setting, interesting premise but terribly boring gameplay.

And going by that trailer With the lack of gameplay, it doesn’t inspire confidence that much has changed.

4. Chorltonwheelie says:

Yesss! I-CAN’T-FUCKING-WAIT.
    By Fall I guess they mean autumn and not the best band in the world but that gives me time to upgrade from my venerable 3570k to the Coffee Lake i7k rig I’m eyeing up.
    Love Metro, best ever (never understand the comparison to the Stalking borathon…chalk and cheese).

…scuttles of to shake money jar and do add ups…

5. Smaug says:

Honestly, how do they get their games looking so damn good? Even the venerable STALKER looks beautiful even today.

6. Zenicetus says:

I only got halfway through the most recent one, got bored with the linear level design, and the way the character is hobbled on the surface. It’s a grim theme, which is fine, but it just wasn’t *fun* to progress through the game. I feel the same way about the latest Wolfenstein, so maybe I should just quit buying this kind of linear shooter.

On the other hand… the idea of a train as a traveling base sounds interesting. Lots of potential there, if it’s developed well enough.

7. Peppergomez says:

have to agree with the folks who complain about this game being boring, even despite how gorgeous it looks and how well they implemented the shooting and tactile sense of being in the world