GTA Online goes a little Saints Row in the Doomsday Heist

GTA Online

One of the more interesting facets of Grand Theft Auto Online‘s evolution has been a gradual loss of restraint. While the non-story updates have been pretty wacky all round (the most recent patch added the genre-blending Transform races to the in-game track editor), the past few major world-building modules have brought all manner of military-spec hardware to the table in character-led missions, along with a few sci-fi weapons systems for flavour.

It feels like all of that is coming to a head soon with the release of the upcoming Doomsday Heist update for GTA V’s multiplayer module. Read on to see just how your crew might just be saving the world in the bombastic announcement trailer.

Due to hit the game on December 12th, the Doomsday Heist will contain – among other things – wanton mass destruction of aircraft, high-tech super-crime, transforming cars, jetpacks, underwater fortresses, a looming threat of nuclear apocalypse and an advanced railgun-equipped tank with reflective purple trim. It’s very James Bond by way of Kingsman, although the addition of a crew of player-made criminals embarking on a world-saving heist also gives it a very Saints Row 3+ edge.

It’s been a long time since we’ve seen a new heist in GTA Online. Much of the player-base have spent months (possibly years) endlessly grinding away at the Pacific Standard job in order to afford the fancier cars, guns and properties the game is constantly trying to bleed your wallet dry with. It looks like this one might just be the shot of colour that side of the game has needed.

While the game is still enormously popular, there’s something about the audacity of this heist raising the stakes to world-threatening levels that makes me think that this either signals the start of a new, far more unhinged era for the game, or the end of major story-driven content updates in order to free up staff for other projects that Rockstar are working on.

Personally, I’m hoping for the former, but I’d wager the latter is the case. So, who here is still actively playing GTA Online? It’s one of those online games that gets quantifiably better the more friends you have with you. Potentially frustrating when played solo, but if you’re part of an active clan there’s a truly enormous variety of activities. I’ve been meaning to return to the game sometime over the next few weeks – any RPS crews worth joining?

1. Seafoam says:

Perhaps they’re jumping the shark(card) now so they can focus on ruining Red Dead Redemption 2 with “Railway Bonds”.

• Netkev says:

Haha well let’s hope they go the the same route and take a few years to turn the game into an exploitative grindfest. Then again maybe that was just their practice and they know how to do it reliably now. Who knows.

• JasonJAyalaP says:

Jumped it? They flew over it with a hover car.

They’ve gone from dragon ball to dragon ball z, and now dragon ball GT. Newbies find out the hard way that most ways to spend your money are only buying them Krillin and Piccolo.

I’d be happy if the game didn’t load single player when you get a network timeout error. ..Can’t you just reconnect? I guess they can’t hear us over all those cash register sounds.

2. satan says:

Looking forward to underwater cars, exploring underwater has been kinda slow and painful up until now.

3. Tycow says:

Enough online stuff… some single player content please, Rockstar! Even if it’s making some of the online content available for single player.

(Yes, I know… they make more money from online). :(

4. Orchids says:

Was that a Vulcan?

phuzz says:

A slightly out of proportion one, with a gun turret on top, but looks like it yes :)
      If only I could play this stuff single player :(

• elder_pegasus says:

I assume that’s what it’s modelled on – cockpit is off and has turrets top and bottom, intakes are wrong shape… but the shape is pretty unique, and it sounds like they’ve tried to make it sound a bit like a vulcan.

Very cool!

5. Siimon says:

>or the end of major story-driven content updates

GTAV never got major story-driven content updates…

6. Kollega says:

This just makes me think how I wish Just Cause 3 got the same sort of regular updates with powerful military hardware and outrageous spy-fi gadgets and vehicles. Not an arbitrary thing to ask for, given how Just Cause is in fact a series about a badass “secret” agent saving the world from powerful dictators with globe-spanning ambitions.

But sadly enough, I’m guessing it’s simply not possible to have regular updates/DLC for a game today if it’s not a multiplayer game and not infested with microtransaction nonsense. So my wishes for more JC3 content will have to remain just wishes =/

• Servicemaster says:

Kollega you are 100% correct and I came here to say exactly what you said. So maybe not 100% correct but 100% like me?

GTA:O has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me. When I first started up my 360 with the first Xbox Live subscription I’ve had since GTA:IV released, it was absolutely plagued with lag, disconnects and the longest load times I’ve ever seen in a game.

After the PC release along with Heists, I finally had a suitable enough experience to play the shit out of it, reaching level 100 and having a goddamned blast. I had a legit crew of 2 other guys and always some pickup player who’d we coach through the heists like we were veteran criminals. Some of the most fun I’ve had online to date.

I stopped playing for a year and when I came back, I found the game was now broken for PC as well. Hackers in every lobby, too many events and missions cluttering the screen, amazing items forever out of reach unless I myself cheated or paid real money and of course, arbitrarily getting kicked from any and lobbies. (All players left, you weren’t disconnected! They really just hate you that much)

Immediately after watching the Doomsday Heist trailer I reinstalled JC3 and had instant fun playing as a god of wind and destruction.

Rockstar, EA, Activision-Blizzard and many other companies have devolved from artisans to casinos. Still gorgeous but they will take more than they give.

7. MisterGee says:

Servicemaster I think you have summed up the direction a lot of big studios are heading with your comment “they will take more than they give.”

I am pretty sure this is the “business side” doing what most other companies do now, spend as little as possible and charge as much as you can get away with.

I think this is why a lot of indie games are still staying popular as they are, for the most part, made to be enjoyed