What are we all playing this weekend?

yes I'm afraid you're ALL on the naughty list in this illustration from Death's Doings

Alice, your usual host, is away this week. The last I saw of her she was bricking up her chimney and muttering something about defensive perimeters. I’m sure it’ll all be fine.

My Christmas preparations mostly involve a slight injection of colour into my wardrobe and a desire for all things cinnamon and ginger. I also spend quite a bit of time making sure the RPS Advent Calendar is fully stocked with lovely treats. But is there still time for games, I hear you ask? Of course there is.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what’s occupying our screens.

Adam: I’ve gone back to The Long Dark because being eaten alive in a cold lonely place seems like the most Christmassy experience of all. If I eat enough festive cookies and pies before the wolves get to me, maybe they’ll get a taste for the season as well as for manflesh.
Alec: My weekend will be spent as the last four weekends have been spent – trying and failing to diagnose an audio problem in my PC that causes an ‘orrible crackling in certain games and applications, and refuses to go away even though I’m on my third soundcard and second Windows installation. I CANNOT SLEEP FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS. Killllll meeeeee
Alice: [in her absence we can only assume Alice is playing “Now That’s What I Call Christmas!” on the stereo at full volume]
Brendan: I’m playing ‘try to get out of the blue ranks’ in Tekken 7. But also ‘try to learn some proper combos’ and ‘try not to get turned to mush’. They’re good games.
Graham: Plunkbat’s desert map is finally up on the test servers, and the allure of a whole new bit of terrain to hide in die in is probably too strong. Otherwise I’ve been plugging away at games I didn’t have time for in the last two years. So far I’ve completed Abzu and Edith Finch and dabbled in Songbringer and a few others. West Of Loathing should be next.
John: If I get a chance to play anything that isn’t Zelda with the boy, I’m hoping to spend a bit of time with a few Metroidvanias I need to refresh myself on, for a Thing.

Beyond that, I’ve just got review code for To The Moon 2! Goodness me. Might have to pop to B&Q to get buckets to catch all the potential tears.

Katharine: In a bid to pretend I have loads of time to play all the excellent games that have just come out, I’ll be channeling the spirit of Cavalier Games’ Groundhog Day-style The Sexy Brutale this weekend, as it finally launched on Switch this week. Then I will rewind the entire weekend to play through the new Breath of the Wild DLC and cram in some more Xenoblade Chronicles 2, before eventually capping it off with Tokyo RPG Factory’s Lost Sphear demo.
Matt: I’ll be running, vaulting and climbing around merry Miramar for the better part of the weekend. The new map is at last available on the test servers, and given how excited I got about finding a climbing frame the other week I can’t wait to have my Plunkbat senses overloaded with an entire map full of new locations.

I’m also hoping to finish Hyper Light Drifter and Hollowknight, which I’ve been plugging away at these past few weeks without mentioning. Plus there’s more Barotrauma to play, and I’m only a couple of hours into the new Wolfenstein. I’d also love to get geared up for and maybe even complete the new Destiny raid, and despite/ because of how infuriating it is, the mountain from Getting Over it With Bennet Foddy is calling to me.

That’s too many games, isn’t it? [THERE ARE NEVER ENOUGH GAMES – ED]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Jinarra says:

I will be playing DDO as I have been for the past several weeks. That Veteran 3 event is too tasty for my alt-itis. Also, I will be playing Neverwinter Nights 2, as I’ve found a server I enjoy. Also I will be playing Stardew Valley, because why not? Most importantly, I will be playing Don’t Starve, the real life version – Not the game version. Although you could think of it as a minigame where the objective is to consume enough calories to continue playing videogames.

2. JustAchaP says:

Playtest some more of BattleBit Remastered.

3. Kamestos says:

Third soundcard, second Windows installation ? So it’s not software. My bet is a faulty or old PSU.

I just finished Edith Finch, and it’s now my second GOTY winner just behind Nier.

phuzz says:

I’ve just finished Edith Finch too, and man, definitely one of the highlights of the year for me too.
      It manages to pinch some of the best ideas from a bunch of the first-person narrative games I’ve loved, and mixed them together with some of it’s own tricks, and doesn’t seem to have any big flaws. (except the walking speed, but that’s fine once you’re inside the house).

4. Vacuity729 says:

I purchased Total Warhammer 2 yesterday evening, and it has finished downloading. Somehow, I think that I’m set up for the rest of this winter, not just this weekend.

Sympathies to Alec; that could be an issue with the motherboard. I hope you manage to work it out and fix it; it really spoils pretty much any kind of entertainment value from your computer.

Grizzly says:

I’ve intermittently been having crackling sound issues since the Windows 10 Creators update update, it might be … that, Alec.

6. RaymondQSmuckles says:

As a new Oculus owner, I’m still playing with that and finding things I love/hate about it. Oculus Home 2.0 (or is it called Dash?) is still buggy but a big improvement over the old Home experience. SuperHot VR is something I could become completely obsessed about, and it will likely occupy most of my gaming time.

After game time its back to studying end-to-end game software creation pipeline, notably working on my Blender skills (Unity is the engine I’m studying). Lastly, because I’m older and belly fat is a constant menace, gotta leave the house and go to an actual gym.

• Unclepauly says:

Cut the sugar/carbs. Problem solved

syllopsium says:

Cutting those out isn’t enough, exercise is needed as well. I’m heading towards mid forties and losing a reasonable amount of weight is currently achieved by no biscuits or beer at home, and long runs..

Also, carbs are awesome. Bread, potato, pasta… how can you deprive yourself of those?

• Herring says:

Tying your two threads together, I’ve lost quite a bit of weight doing exercise in VR. AudioShield warm-up, followed by 4 rounds of Thrill of the Fight OR Holopoint (squat to dodge). Then GORN / SuperHot VR to cool down.

30-45 mins a day on weekdays(mostly) and I’m a little fitter too. I could barely do 1 round of Thrill of the Fight initially and now I can (sweatily) get through 4.

7. Mister eX says:

Still juggling lotsa’ games, so I’m only commiting to two this weekend: The Witcher 3, and finishing Hellblade. Which I find amazing.

• Mister eX says:

So after I wrote this comment, I proceeded to play a bit of NFS: Prostreet, and then a bit of Dishonored…

8. EgoMaster says:

Winter is coming! That means I returned to the big bad city. My gaming experience drastically changed, from 32″ TV and 2+1 sound system to laptop’s own screen and speakers. Speakers are good, because my laptop also has a subwoofer, but small screen means I’ll be playing older, mostly DOS based games.

To that end I started my Dungeons & Dragons marathon. These games all came out before I discovered RPG games. I won’t be going as far as Gold Box series (which I missed out on the better gaming system, the Amiga). I started with Eye of the Beholder trilogy. I’m at level 4 of the first game and planning on finishing 6 during the weekend.

Tachyon: The Fringe is another game I’m playing. It’s not a classic, but it’s good enough and I’ve definitely missed space combat sims.

9. Joppest says:

Really enjoying Spellforce 3. Even though I’ve had to restart 2 missions due to bugged quests.

10. Morcane says:

Welp, there’s a new patch / expansion out for Path of Exile. Back in I go.

11. wcq says:

Etrian Odyssey. No time to talk, have to map.

12. Kefren says:

I started playing Saints Row 4 recently. I like it, but I may slightly prefer SR3. SR4 has some quirks that mean I’m not quite as immersed, even though the mobility superpowers are refreshing.

13. trjp says:

On the crackling sound – if it happens with onboard sound you can rule-out the soundcard – as someone else says, try a PSU and don’t forget that other devices can cause this (Wifi, Microwaves, Remote Controls and ESPECIALLY monitors with built-in PSUs (or noise makers as they should be called))

As for games – SHADOW HAND, started a bit slow but improves markedly once you accept you’ll take the odd drubbing at the hands of RNG – recommended for fans of Regency Solitaire, Solitaire in general or just people who like a solid think

• willow731 says:

Yep. Charging my cellphone too close to my speakers causes them to make weird and annoying sounds. I’ve also had to change some sound settings EVERY TIME there’s a windows update since win 10 came out, except, oddly, with the last one. Previous updates kept setting everything back to WRONG, resulting in weird sounds and really annoying volume issues.

• MattM says:

My Win 10/SoundBlaster Z setup has some weird problems. Every time I reboot there is a chance it will be in a bad state where the audio pops, crackles, and has a very noticeable amount of audio lag. The only solution I’ve found so far is just to reboot and flip the coin until it starts in a normal state.

syllopsium says:

Possibly also worth checking light bulbs. Some CFL and LEDs can kick out an awful lot of interference.. For safety, go for well known, major manufacturers. Boring, but can make a difference (they can also affect remote controls)

particlese says:

Heh, reminds me of that time I could hear a truck going down the highway because my speakers were playing the radio chatter. I was used to the things amplifying the radio noise from my phone, and I’d worked with a different computer which fed noise into the headphones whenever a window was moved around, but the trucker thing was really something else.

• Vandelay says:

I recall having speakers that when they were down low it would very faintly pick up a foreign language radio station. Freaked me out for a long time not being able to figure out where this strange garbled voice was coming from!

On Alec’s issue, not sure if he will be looking at this now, but I had something similar and the solution was incredibly simple. I just had to go to playback devices options, select properties, go to advanced tab and then lower the bit rate on the Default Format option. Always used to just stick it at max, because I could, but it ever so often caused crackling a weird sound happening. No idea why it would effect it, as it says the option only takes effect when running in shared mode (whatever that is), but lowering the option by one (I have it on 24 bit, 96000 Hz) stopped it from happening. I can’t notice any effect to sound quality.

particlese says:

Heh! That would be pretty freaky, yeah. I can just imagine it happening to some younger kid who then runs off shouting, “mommy, mommy, there’s a man trapped in the wall!”

I had a related experience to you with that audio sample rate setting, but for me, the sound from either audio connection to the Vive would sound like a really badly compressed mp3 (warbley “s”es and all that jazz) until I finally tried lowering the rate to 44.1kHz – then it sounded perfectly fine. *shrug*

mecreant says:

Playing Shadow Hand also, which brings me to ask; how do you all pronounce duel? I always pronounce the first syllable so that it rhymes with dew, but in the game it’s made to rhyme with jew, which I find odd. Every duel begins with a guy crying out Jewel!

Ninja Dodo says:

I’ve been playing Assassin’s Creed Oranges. Still early (post bathhouse), but I think it might be my favourite in the series. The rendition of Egypt is extraordinary. I really like how they use the side-missions to explore the details of the customs and culture of the time and place. It adds so much more dimension to the world and just ambiently teaches you a lot about Egyptian history, artistic license notwithstanding. In the absence of the not-yet-released Discovery mode, between playing I’m also listening to a series of Great Courses lectures on the history of Egypt by Bob Brier, which adds an extra layer of historical interest. I’m curious to hear what History Respawned makes of it (which more people should watch, dammit: link to youtube.com).

It’s not just historical tourism though (although that aspect is outstanding); I’m liking the changes to the gameplay also. The RPG-ish quest structure suits it, although it does make me wonder why they don’t just go full RPG and add dialogue choices and branching story elements (just turn it into Witcher Assassin). New combat seems an improvement though takes a little getting used to, and the Senu bird view is so much more fun than navigating by mini-map… I even like the story so far, which is something I haven’t cared about since the ending of AC2. Even the handful of modern-day animus elements seem mildly intriguing (!).

Ninja Dodo says:

One thing I don’t like: I wish side-quests of a certain level would naturally appear on the map at appropriate times in the story instead of always sitting there and letting you accidentally start them when you’re not remotely at the right level… especially since there’s no way to elegantly cancel out of a quest once you activate it (eg “Not now/I’ll come back later”) other than just leaving it half-completed until you’ve reached a high enough level. I started this one Last Bodyguard quest when I was like 10 levels below the requirement and I guess that young lady I was supposed to escort to safety is still waiting in the market to get her horse back from those bandits, days or weeks later…

Also, they need to bring back HUD customization. I really don’t need to know where all the crafting materials are when flying around and those icons kind of ruin the view a bit (and minimal HUD preset is too minimal).

• Zenicetus says:

There is a little bit of quest scaling, but I’ve only seen it in the opposite direction with higher-level quests suddenly appearing in zones I’ve already cleared, once I reach a much higher level. I didn’t notice that until I was over level 30, so it’s not very fine-tuned for leveling.

15. klops says:

Sid Meier’s Colonization (1994).

16. H. Vetinari says:

Opus Magnum finally left EA and I’ve played it for the last 4h straight. It was worth waiting for it to leave the EA (never play EA games-I’m nobody’s beta tester) because the game is quite the shit, probably goty for me.

17. lglethal says:

Well considering how bad the weather is looking hopefully that means at least tomorrow will be spent in doors and playing games. Most likely Total Warhammer 2 (trying to finish my High Elves campaign), or maybe if I’m feeling more murdery then The Division. Although i do still have to go back and finish Tomb Raider… *Sigh* I need more time…

18. TheAngriestHobo says:

Portal Knights, which I picked up on a whim on my Switch and have hardly been able to put down since. I don’t really understand why – it’s a cutesy game that isn’t doing anything that hasn’t been done a dozen times before, but something about combination of RPG-lite and Minecraftbut elements really works for me.

I’m also debating putting a little time in on Stardew Valley (on PC, this time), as it just became winter and I think this is the year I finally get Grandpa to like me. Please let him like me.

19. Zenicetus says:

We have guests over the weekend, so not much gaming until that’s over. Then it’s probably more AC Origins, where I’m probably getting close to the end of the main story line.

I finally got a drop of the legendary weapon type I wanted, so I didn’t have to buy DLC to get one, which feels like some kind of victory. Maybe there is a Steam achievement for “Holding out and grinding for what you want instead of buying DLC.”

20. ziffel says:

* Robo Recall
    * Deus Ex – Mankind Divided
    * Quantum Break
    * Alien Isolation

21. michelangelo says:

I recently finished Assassin’s Origin, which was a beauty (!) with actually touching story fragments and once again super dummy and annoying sci-fi elements (why series didn’t get rid of it already?) Also, am I the only one, who hates enemies with red-flagged unbeatable protections just because “that’s what we, big developers, think players see as an RPG these days”? With no UI as an option I use, I feel like a retard, fighting an absolutely same way looking, moving and behaving enemy like those others I killed 5 min ago, yet now, 50 hits and endless dancing doesn’t even scratch them… What a remarkable fun new combat system.

But the atmosphere, desert, day/night lighting, water, shooting arrows… and a much more alive world thanks to NPCs routines makes me enjoy roaming around. And honestly, after finishing the story, that’s where the real fun begins for me. Nothing but walking, observing and sometimes defending myself. If further on, UBI is going to stick to “education mode”, which is yet to come, I’ll play just that.

Now I may give a shot to some of games I only bought. DUJANAH (didn’t play, but the soundtrack is deep in my mind already—great stuff!), Rain World (touched it, but felt perhaps a little bit too unforgiving), This War of Mine, Life Is Strange (seen the beginning, but left it while being on the schools yard, with realisation I don’t use time rewind at all and not caring about anyone just yet as well as having many diary pages to read).

22. spleendamage says:

Star Traders: Frontiers and Low Magic Age are two early access gems I have already spent a lot of time with and it will likely be the same this weekend.

Spellforce 3 has been sitting at the top of my wish list for a long time, so that could be an early holiday present to myself as well.

23. Jonfon says:

Endless Space 2. Also “why is construction work so messy and why is there a fine film of dust over everything I own?”. Although now we’ve moved on from that to “why is every surface in the house a trap of wet paint”

So painting, hoovering and Endless Space 2.

Here’s a question though. What’s a good game for kids? They’ve exhausted and grown bored of Lego games. What’s next? Co-op and controller friendly if possible. Otherwise squabbles ensue.

• michelangelo says:

I’d say Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Broforce, bro )). Also Limbo and Inside worked great for my little cousins and was fun for everyone involved.

Ninja Dodo says:

All of those are pretty dark though, apart from Broforce which is all crazy cartoon violence… so be aware of that. Towerfall co-op is pretty fun. Also: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Rayman Origins or Rayman Legends perhaps?

• Jonfon says:

Limbo??? Like Limbo Limbo? The creepy you-are-a-lost-spirit-and-will-die-a-billion-gruesome-gruesome-deaths limbo? For a 7 year old and a 10 year old? Are you insane?

That’s not co-op.

(I loved it on the ps3 but it’s a bucket full of nope for the kids)

• michelangelo says:

I used to play games my parents would get insane if knew. Those I mentioned are not even close. And all of them have very good ideas and curious kids minds generate great questions about all the content, which puts you to a wonderful position of explaining and guiding them as well as looking at the game with way different perspective, then you’d do by playing on your own.

I am sorry if the tips insulted you. I just mentioned them for amazing moments they created in between us, people playing it together. If you have topics these games covers in the box “never talk to kids about”, then yeah, a colorful reflex based game is your choice.

Or maybe FIFA, NHL kind of game? This is always fun playing together.

• Jonfon says:

Nah. No insult at all. I thought it was hilarious. In fairness we used to play Barbarian, egging each other on to the decapitation finisher. But that was behind the backs of my parents.

I reckon if they can sneak it past me fair enough but I shouldn’t actively encourage it.

• Harlaw says:

Dunno if you’ll read this because it’s Tuesday already, but Never Alone might be good? I’m not sure about the documentary parts (I found it very engaging and your kids will learn something from it, but I don’t know if they’ll be interested) but the platforming in between is nice.

As far as co-op platformers go, Trine might work too, if it isn’t too difficult.

24. Cyrus says:

I haven’t played a game for well over a week, that’s not happened for quite some time, other than travel and such what I can remember. There simply is no time for me to be able give it a go this week. Next week on the other hand I will be back in the loop. The games are in my thoughts though now :)

25. TehK says:

I’ve started working my way through the traditional gingerbread package from Nürnberg (which are THE BEST AND I’LL FIGHT ANYONE WHO CLAIMS OTHERWISE).

Well fed from gingerbread and tea, I’ll then see if I can progress in (but probably not finish) Pyre and of course I’ll look after my little Rimworld tribe.

26. Thulsa Hex says:

The biggest thing on my plate these days is Breath of the Wild. I’ve been taking it very slow it seems (the records show that I’ve put in more than 70 hours, but I haven’t even encountered a Divine Beast yet). I’m pretty sure a friend of mine completed the game in less time than I’ve spent unveiling 1/5th of the map. I dunno! I guess it’s because I keep climbing hills just to look at sunsets. It’s not that my progress is being gated, and there’s nothing to grind (unless you count Korok seeds)—it’s more that I find exploring this iteration of Hyrule to be… therapeutic. It’s a beautiful, quiet place.

On the other end of the spectrum, I need to wrap up the ever-bombastic Wolfenstein II (loving it, still—the bit with the director was so well done!), and I’ve a Rainbow Six date today.

OH, and Reigns: Her Majesty is out. Extremely well written, and such a perfect phone game (though it’s on Steam, too). It’s only $3!

• Thulsa Hex says:

That’s yer Wolfenstein II done. Good game!

I did the Überkommandant/Enigma missions, too, but regret it. Artificially extends the length and messes with the otherwise-excellent pacing. The main story stuff is a blast, though.

27. Stepout says:

Warlock 2 with Renaissance mod. About as much fun as one could have.

28. Carra says:

I’ve finally finished the brilliant Divinity: Original Sin 2 so time for something new. After playing a 90 hour game I think it’s time to play a few smaller games. The new walking dead season, the new Life is Strange and Firewatch all come to mind.

Aerothorn says:

” I’ll be channeling the spirit of Cavalier Games’ Groundhog Day-style The Sexy Brutale this weekend, as it finally launched on Switch this week.”

Cmon Katharine, at least PRETEND you play games on PC. You don’t have to tell us you’re doing it on your Switch! :D

• Katharine Byrne says:

Trust me, I wish I was playing The Sexy Brutale on PC, because good grief the frame rate on Switch is terrible!

30. Aphex242 says:

Space Tyrant. It’s stupid good. I can’t stop. Still in early access and I’ve got over 220 hours played. I blame you, RPS, you recommended it.

31. Killy_V says:

Eve Online incursions are awesome for sociabilizing !
    Dead Cells, but past the first boss the game becomes really really hard, and the new items don’t allow me to overwhelm the difficulty, so it’s a bit of a grind.
    I just installed Nioh so voila !

particlese says:

The damage dealt by and the attack patterns of the enemies really do become much less forgiving after that first boss. I enjoyed how the rest played so much that I managed to grind through to understanding that stuff better and generally playing better, but there’s a later area with little ninja dudes that completely does me in as soon as I get to them. I haven’t gotten back to that point since the recent patch, but I reckon it wasn’t made any easier. Looked like they added even harder levels, too…

x_x but also :) since it means I’ll have more to play for a long time and can watch the wizards on YouTube do their thing, if I ever feel so inclined.

32. AsubstanceD says:

@alec. Check your dpc latency with latencymon. If you have abnormal spikes try uninstalling/disabling drivers one by one to track down the culprit. Or if you overclock try disabling and see if that is causing the issue. Always worth checking to see if your motherboard as known issues with dpc latency as i remember some generational issues with this.

33. dylan says:

Working that ladder in Tooth and Tail, gold stars honeybaby aww yeah

34. Seyda Neen says:

Getting back into the VR scene in prep for Fallout 4 by playing some Compound, the best VR FPS there is. I cannot recommend this game enough, it’s an absolute blast. Also probably some Titan Quest with some friends, my first time with an ARPG.

particlese says:

Holy cow, Compound looks amazing – I’m going to have to try this when I get home.

Thanks for the tip!

35. mmandthetat says:

I finally got Tides of Numenara and I have no idea why I waited this long. Logged over 20 hours in just a few days with no signs of slowing. In a world where everything’s either grey metal future or dragons n’ chainmail medieval, I die for anything with the guts to build its world from pure imagination. There’s some intangible genius that’s missing in compaison with Planescape, but everything else is there, IMO.

36. AlphaW0lph says:

Finished all factions in Warhammer 2. Most fun I had was with the Skaven as clan Pestilence and now for another playthrough with clan Mors. Not even started Mortal Empires because the Vortex race is still fun to play. Easily one of the best games I ever played.

37. caff says:

I bought the Humble Yogscast bundle, and I hope you all will too because you’ll get a load of games and all money goes to charity: link to humblebundle.com

Of the games released so far, I’ve really enjoyed Introversion’s Scanner Sombre and Dungeon of the Endless. There are a lot of games to come too, so come join me on the advent calendar fun :)

38. welverin says:

Hmm, Alice goes away and no one gets fired, funny how that works.

Destiny 2 for me what with Curse of Osiris coming out, tiny bit of SF5, and probably get back to Breath of the Wild now that the last bit of DLC is out.

39. fish99 says:

Due to the incoming snow I fancy playing some Division, and I also have an itch to play the original Mirrors Edge for the 8th time.

The game I’m actually currently playing though is Nioh, couple of missions in and still figuring stuff out. Pity about the story and it doesn’t have the world and sense of discovery that a Souls game has, but the gameplay is pretty solid, like a faster Bloodborne. It’s hard but fun.

syllopsium says:

Busy with friends and exercise this weekend, but want to play some Prince of Persia SNES, and various VR games. My VR space is small, but hoping to fit a few in until I can arrange for a larger space.

41. Umama says:

You RPS writers talk about the Switch an awful lot on this site and on the podcast. Maybe it’s time to launch your spinoff site – Rock Paper Switch?

42. Buuurr says:

Homefront: The revolution. I am playing it because I am afraid to get fully into Spellforce III.

Big Dunc says:

I’m going to attempt to finish my fourth XCOM 2 campaign and just have the Hunter to finish off before the final mission. Also hoping to play a bit more Bomber Crew, whose slightly cutesy graphics hide a strategic core of steel.

44. Menthalion says:

@Alec If you have an Nvidia card, try disable the Nvidia HDMI audio drivers in the device manager, both under the Sound devices as the system devices.

You can discern the one under system devices from the device ID, which should be the same as your video card.

A reboot is needed, and problems might return with Windows/Nvidia driver updates.

That was the culprit for sound intermittently getting distorted on both mine and a friend’s systems. When distorted, a reboot was the only way to fix it.

Risingson says:

jssebastian says:

I’m at home sick by myself, so have a lot of time to play some games and not a lot of energy to do even that…

But since my daughter’s also out, I don’t have to compete for the switch so I can play some Zelda, which is one amazing game.

Still, the unterzee is calling me… I need to take the snow child to the East before he melts, so maybe I’ll go back to sunless sea…

47. Vasily R says:

I finally went back to my playthrough of Pillars of Eternity, after not having played for a few months. Man I’m lost lol. I’m also playing some 7 Days to Die with the wife :)