Soul Calibur VI shows off some samurai swordsing

"I've got Soul but I'm not a Soul Calibur!"

The Game Awards and its accompanying news orgy are over and everyone is settling back into normal life with a low-burning sense of shame. That sweaty night of news saw the announcement of sword-slashing fighting game Soul Calibur VI and its upcoming PC debut. We only saw some cinematic swordicuffs between staple characters Mitsurugi and Sophitia but some PlayStation salesmen have now shown more of the stabbing ‘n’ jabbing in an interview with producer Motohiro Okubo. It’s mostly fluffy talk filled with mild sycophancy but it does give a better idea of what players will see and do, including a reversal mechanic.

If you’re new to the Soul Calibur arena, just know that here you use giant, sharp implements to hurt your opponent, instead of a bunch of fives. And you can also win a round if you knock your opponent out of the “ring”. They’re also introducing something called “Reversal Edge”.

“This technique,” they say, “gives the player an opportunity to read an opponents’ attack and land a powerful counter.”

It seems to be a way of entering slow motion and doing some flashy rock-paper-scissoring, which the producer says will be easy to do. It also looks like a retort to the cinematic Rage Art of Tekken 7 and those odd moments in Injustice 2 where your superheroes look deep into each other’s eyes and bet who secretly loves the other more.

There’s still no news on characters or a solid release date beyond “some time in 2018” but I am putting my money on the following crossover appearances:

The Dinosaur from Tekken

The Shoveller from Mystery Men

A pigeon from Hatoful Boyfriend

Disney’s Robin Hood

Jar Jar Binks

1. Ghostwise says:

It is true that he shovels well. He shovels very well. He shovels better than anybody you’ve ever seen.

2. Player1 says:

Basically, I still see the same animations we had for years, and much more special effects, which apparently is the new way of marketing fighting games. I really wish there was some sort of reboot of Bushido Blade with a slower, more realistic approach to sword fighting.

• vahnn says:

I’ve been begging for more Bushido Blade for almost two decades now.

• Blad the impaler says:

I loved the game too, even kind of dug the second one – but it’s probably too dicey a prospect to play it with the chance of network latency.

keithzg says:

I know, right? And the kicker is, the whole unique schtick of it where there’s potentially instant death due to physics-y checking of where the blades actually went? That’s something far *easier* to do with modern hardware and game engines than it was back with the PlayStation One. But nobody’s fully picked up that mantle.

• Evan_ says:

And it’s coming to PC, most likely with modern matchmaking. What else one could wish from a Soul Calibur sequel?

Buyin’ it the minute it’s released.

• Morat Gurgeh says:

Me too. That Sophitia was shite though. Even with my 40 year old reflexes I would have pounded that Mitsi into the floor. Without breaking a sweat.

3. Mecha_Rocky says:

This is great news since my best friend and I miss some good ol’ SC and we live multiple states apart now.

But ugh… they still have the armor break feature. Guess I’ll have to get better so my cool outfit doesn’t fall off!

4. Koozer says:

“LINK – versus – CERVANTES”

Ahh Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube, those were the days.