The adorably ultraviolent Gang Beasts is fully out now

gang-beasts

Round up your chums for a spot of adorable ultraviolence, as the wonderful Gang Beasts has launched out of early access. Gang Beasts is a multiplayer arena fighting game where players will hurl each other off the tops of speeding trucks, out windows, and into industrial grinders, grabbing and grappling in physics-simulated fisticuffs. Pummel your pal into exhaustion, hoist them up, go to throw them out the arena, but they recover in time and grab onto the edge and somehow fling you out… it’s brutal and it’s funny. And it’s properly out now.

I’ve not played Gang Beasts in a fair while — it hit Steam Early Access in 2014, following a smaller free alpha version — but I have fond memories. The physics-driven climbing, swinging, dragging, grabbing, clinging, and flinging are wonderful, throwing up all sorts of surprises beyond regular attacks. Combined with the cute characters and their silly costumes, it’s a wonderful load of cartoon cruelty.

I really recommend playing Gang Beasts in local multiplayer for full jostling and cheering fun (do read what Brendan said about Gang Beasts at an event I helped run) but online multiplayer is in too. It does also have modes that aren’t about duffing up other players but they’re certainly not the focus.

Last night’s full launch unfortunately did not go well, with the online side sort of falling over. Developers Boneloaf have been working to fix it and in the wee hours declared “We think we have found the cause and should hopefully have everything up and running soon, thank you for your patience and for playing.”

Gang Beasts costs £12/€16/$16 on Steam, which includes a 20% launch week discount.

Drib says:

I played this when it was free and silly. Now that it’s not free and yet presumably still silly, is it still fun?

• blur says:

As Alice rightly says, it’s best enjoyed in local multiplayer. I wish that the devs had given some more levels or hats or some such thing as opposed to adding in online. But it’s absolutely still silly and fun, and a favourite of mine and my friends when we no longer want to be competitive or serious if playing locally (as opposed to Towerfall or Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime or Overcooked).

• The First Door says:

Take this with a pinch of salt, as I’ve not yet tried the launch content, but: I honestly wouldn’t recommend the game any more to be honest. We were playing it a couple of nights back and it just felt very unfinished, to such an extent I don’t believe it’s finished now. That, combined with the fact it still felt very button-mashy and that lots of levels allow people to hide and win by default is a bit rubbish. I’d definitely wait for website or steam reviews of the ‘finished’ game to come out, first.

• Baines says:

From watch the game’s development, it felt like Boneloaf was kind of meandering randomly along. Rather than nailing down important elements, they kept reinventing parts of the game.

Details of mechanics would flip-flop back and forth over the years, stages saw repeated major redesigns, etc. It wasn’t uncommon for updates to break stuff, or at least contain broken stuff, and too many changes didn’t actually feel like improvements over prior designs. It didn’t really feel like Boneloaf knew what it was doing, nor were they really recognizing or improving design issues.

When they announced that they were approaching full release, I figured it would be a “full release” more in name than in function.

• Siimon says:

link to steamcommunity.com not mine but mirrors my opinion. I actually went to some other site download an old version, that while having less hats and more bugs, was way more fun.

• The First Door says:

Well, I’m glad it’s not just our group then! I was thinking that while some of the level designs are definitely better, some levels are much less interesting than before. It feels much harder to knock people out for long enough to throw them off things now, and the jumping got really annoying, too.

Anyway, I’ll give the full game a chance next time I have people around and see!

• noodlecake says:

I still love the game and play it online all the time. The latest patch (before this release one which I haven’t tried yet) made knock out times way too long, and made spamming punch to OP, so button bashing often trumps skill. I hope the latest patch fixed it.

I don’t think I’ve experienced anybody being able to hide to beat me. LT shows people’s names above their heads so you can always see where they are, and if someone climbs somewhere high you can just climb up after them and beat them up and win anyway. I have put 300+ hours into it though. It’s the perfect game to play while high, with the bgm turned off and podcasts on in the background. :P

2. haldolium says:

Available resolutions 640×480, 1280×720, 1920×1080. Interesting… choices.

• Baines says:

The game used to support more options.

There seems to be growing suspicions that the game’s “full release” was more to accommodate the PS4 version. Particularly since several stages suddenly shrunk dramatically.

3. Umberto Bongo says:

I don’t remember it being particularly violent. Just silly and a bit janky. How fun it is definitely depends on the people you’re playing with though.

4. Gurrlin says:

I agree with other posters that it used to be more fun in it’s earlier iterations. That and the fact that they somehow never put the days work to make an actual functional ui makes me bonkers every time I start it.
    Even though they revamped it at least once, they seem to have put more effort into making it useless rather than simple and intuitive.

Comment on this story