What are we all playing this weekend?

Wotcha gang. I’m writing this at 3:47am on Saturday after returning from revelry following our parent company’s AGM. I’m certainly not saying Adam and I are the best at karaoke but by god, he gave it his all in our duets. I think we got through Common People, Blue Monday, Love Is A Battlefield, The Love Cats, How Soon Is Now, Wonderwall (we didn’t queue it but hey), Sabotage, Gold… right, yes, all this would be why my throat is raw. Time to neck a litre of water and a whole chapstick then bed.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what’s occupying our screens.

Adam: [Excused following his karaoke efforts -ed.]
Alec: [Fired for not coming to karaoke -ed.]
Alice: As we roll on through the RPS advent calendar, I have a few games I’d like to revisit to reflect. I’ll probably still say “It’s a good game I like it, okay.” No, I can’t tell you what I’m playing this weekend – that would ruin the surprise.
Brendan: I’ll be battling my demons in fighting game Tekken 7, where I have learned a fresh, zen-like understanding of pain and punishment. Every day, I offer another sliver of my soul to the faceless mass of Kazuyas and Kings, and every day they cleave off another weakness, another flaw, another folly. Soon, I will have no soul left, but I will be unstoppable…

I might play some Okami too! <: -)

Graham: [Fired for not coming to karaoke -ed.]
John: I’m rather hoping to spend some more time with SteamWorld Dig 2, which I’ve only just gotten around to playing. And the boy and I have just started playing CatQuest, so we’re going to see if that can hold his interest. Sadly this is going to be interrupted by the hellscape of visiting some Christmas event with a visit to Father Christmas, so please send snipers to take me out.
Katharine: [Katharine came to karaoke but I do not know whether she sang or not. Employment status: to be determined. -ed.]
Matt: [Fired for coming to karaoke but not singing -ed.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. LearningToSmile says:

I got into Path of Exile again, the new expansion and league is absolute joy. Hoping to actually stick around for the endgame this time, I’ve been playing the game for years, but haven’t gotten there since before there was a real endgame.

2. LionEyez says:

Nioh and Assassin’s Creed: Origins, mostly. One for the challenge and difficulty, the other to chill when I inevitably hit a brick wall

3. LennyLeonardUK says:

I will be continuing my journey into the incredible world of Divinity 2. Loving the game so far (about 20 hours in).

Also I will be battling demons on Persona 5.

And if I have time I may continue my Lizardman campaign on Total Warhammer 2.

Too many amazing games and no way near enough free time to actually play them!!!.

4. Ghostwise says:

Still struggling to free up some time to continue my Baldur’s Gate playthrough.

I like to consider meself a cutting edge sort of bloke, always on top of the latest fads.

5. Vacuity729 says:

Uhh, I’m singing! I swear I’m singing! (Don’t hurt me…)

While I continue my heroic singing efforts, my gaming time is basically Total Warhammer, Total Warhammer, and Total Warhammer!
    I took a little time yesterday to try out the new Laboratory mode; six extra-giant dinosaurs fighting thousands and thousands of expendable skaven. Utterly pointless and utterly glorious! Watch the waves of skaven fly into the air with each sweep of the tail! Watch blankets of skaven rippling in panic as a dinosaur tears into their horde!
    Anyway, I have a campaign to finish and am desperate to start a new one once this one’s done.

• Unclepauly says:

Are you singing that Boy George song or are you asking us to not hurt you. Sorry for the confus

6. EgoMaster says:

I’m still on Phase One of my Dungeons and Dragons marathon, which consists of Eye of the Beholder games. I beat the first one, which was a disappointment. It was much more restricted than I thought. No NPC interaction, no economy, almost no story. Yes, I know it’s a dungeon crawler but I expected more somehow. I also didn’t feel any connection to the characters I created. You see, in Legends of Arkania series, the game went to great lengths to make party characters come to life and it did that by making them react to NPCs according to their character traits. If there was something about a mine or something underground, your dwarf character did the talking. If it was about money, your most greedy character, or rogue with high haggling skills took the reigns. In EOB, your characters are merely tools to swing swords or hurl fireballs at the monsters inhibiting game world.

However, the much-improved second game, which is 60-70% complete, is better in every aspect. The story is more gripping, storytelling is much more tight, there’s more interaction and I started to feel the characters (whom I imported from EOB1) due to some Arkania-esque dialogs.

Risingson says:

Forget about the third one. It is uglier, its design is sad, everything that was improved in EOB2 was forgotten. Jump to Lands of Lore, which is the natural successor.

wonderingmonster says:

Fidel Dungeon Rescue! So far I’m really liking its blend of short sessions, rogue-like puzzling and interesting choices.

Grizzly says:

I bought Tacoma, so that :-)

9. BaronKreight says:

aww you naughty naughty girl

10. Crimsoneer says:

Battlefront 2! The new story missions are surprisingly pleasant, and I was feeling the Star Wars urges.

particlese says:

“Catch up on RPS supporter articles you missed after your subscription silently lapsed again.” It has a cat! And haunted computer noises! This will be a good weekend.

In terms of actual vidja games, Lawbreakers is my only will-definitely-play this weekend. 8pm CET today is the official time for the European pile-on of the “first” “season” of ranked mode. The beta/zeroth season was even greater fun than the normal queue when everyone piled on, but ranked was a bit of a ghost town outside of such organized thingies, so I’m psyched for more of the good stuff tonight.

Otherwise, in between Christmas preparations, I’ll try to squeeze in Seyda Neen recommended VR retro-ish FPS Compound, Alec RPS’s Gameboy-aping Unknown Pleasures pick Madcap Castle, and possibly a friend’s coop pick of Pulsar: Lost Colony. That last one looks to be a solid mixture of “totally my bag” and “very much not my bag”. So I’m not sure. It does have toilets and man turrets (according to the trailer), as well as Linux and VR support, but it’s the actual playing of the game I’m on the fence about. Further research is required…

• Seyda Neen says:

Ah, cool! If you try Compound feel free to share your thoughts.

particlese says:

Hey, Compound is pretty good already! I’m digging the music, sound (the low-bitrate barks are stuck in my mind now), and visuals, and they all go quite nicely together. I also quite like the controls, including the way the “directional” movement option maintains the direction of movement as you look around, until you move your thumb far enough on the movement trackpad. Maybe that’s a fairly standard option nowadays, but I haven’t encountered it elsewhere yet. And the weapon reloading is interesting, too: It’ll take me a little more play time to get used to doing it while in combat, but it seems to lend some nice (and surprising for a game with this aesthetic) physicality to the weapons without being as intricate as Receiver’s error-/comedy-/tragedy-prone pistol simulation.

Also, I played on medium for my first play session (because I ate that difficulty option last :) ), and I was dying a little more than I’d like, but at the same time, it seemed like it would be pretty fair once one’s used to the controls. Can’t say the same for Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope, which destroys me on everything but easy! A different type of VR shooter, to be sure, but the only other one with difficulty choices I can remember playing, at the moment.

particlese says:

And good gravy, Lawbreakers was so much fun on Saturday evening. At least at my middling skill level, the ranked matches were again even better than the quick queue, with relatively few outliers in terms of skill/experience. A separate ranked mode sounds like a terrible idea with the game’s population as low as it is, but it seems to work out nicely when the community declares it a night to pile into the queue.

I say “pile”, but of course given that the population really is quite low, you end up seeing the same people most ranked matches (and still pretty often in unranked), so it’s easier to play to one’s own and off eachothers’ strengths — almost like grouping up on purpose, but with a little shuffling between sides and of the active players. Reminds me very much of the fun I had playing UT99 on a private server back in the day — not to compare the games themselves, but the fun I’m having is similar.

12. Avioto says:

I started playing through the Blackwell games while being very surprised by how short they are. I’ll definitely play some Soundboxing which has been a great VR workout. I am also very close to finishing Night in the Woods and NieR: Automata, so I might start something new. Maybe Persona 5?

13. Turkey says:

Working all weekend, so probably just some short bursts of Monolith here and there.

I need to get back to the Dream Machine at some point. Only 2 chapters left.

14. Jonfon says:

Goragoa. Or at least I was until the stumps kicked me off to play themselves. But I don’t mind because it’s lovely and wonderful and I want them to to experience it.

15. April March says:

Homefront. Yes, the first one. I’d heard its multiplayer was good, and could go toe-to-toe with Battlefield, and imagine immediately after a massive free giveaway is the only moment I’ll be able to figure it out. I’ve been playing it on and off since last weekend; it’s pretty good, but pretty flawed, and certainly not up to Battlefield standards (but not as far below as you might think from its success). I haven’t touched the single player; I assume morbid curiosity will eventually cause me to do so, but unlike the multiplayer it’ll be there for a long time.

Very likely I’ll also play a lot of Duelyst. I wathced Cool Ghosts’ video on it yesterday, and that’s a game that I can go a long time without playing but will dive right back in with a mention.

16. edwardoka says:

Being without my gaming PC is rather limiting my choice, so will probably continue my playthrough of the Thief series.

Had only played TDP the first time round and other than Song of the Caverns I don’t feel that Gold added much.

Overall the games hold up very well, although everything after Return to Cathedral in TG has aged appallingly.

Thief 2 is much better in this regard.
    I can’t think of higher praise than to say that the GOG editions of T1/T2 work flawlessly on Ubuntu/Wine straight out of the box.

Failing that, Rimworld.

[Edit: I can haz paragraphs pls?]

17. shaydeeadi says:

Finishing nuDoom then likely getting back into Nioh. All the demon slaying, all the time.

18. Lars Westergren says:

Planescape: Tides of Numenera mainly, finally playing through it and loving it.

A little bit of Subnautica, I’m trying to wait until the whole game is released so I don’t spoil it, but it’s so good!

A little bit of PUBG, but I’m so bad at it.

• Lars Westergren says:

I lied. I ended up playing Cuphead most of the weekend. It’s hard, but I LOVE IT! 5 bosses remaining on Island 3 on normal difficulty before the casino opens. Wernon Wermin and Sally Stageplay have been the most satisfying both gameplay and design wise.

19. Ben King says:

i’m doing beta testing for the first time this weekend, recording gameplay and commentary. I’m excited but also really anxious about providing useful feedback. Does anyone have any experience? Also spectating my GF playing skyrim Fus-ing Necromancers from the summit of subterranean dungeons. She pulled off a dungeon crawl last night I would have given up on long before with some slick abilities and smart thinking. I had forgotten how flexible it can be with combat solutions.

20. geldonyetich says:

Infra Arcana.

It’s a wonderfully balanced Cthulean-themed roguelike, a labor of love as most of them are, and absolutely free.

21. RobbieTrout says:

Today I’ll mostly be playing “fix the kitchen sink”.

After that, back to my replay of Fable II.

22. and its man says:

Ha. I see some are having a hard time overcoming the I.K.A. (Irrational Karaoke Anguish).

Regarding video games, maybe I’ll play On Rusty Trails. Looks fine, and if its hopping-around is accompanied by the soundtrack heard in its trailer, it might well be good time.
    And perhaps follow the adventures of vacuum cleaner robot Rumu. IT IS OUT. Let’s whirrrrr, whooooosh and shvooooo.

23. Zenicetus says:

I should probably finish the main story in AC Origins. Then back to flight simming in X-Plane 11 and the FSEconomy game, where I’m getting behind on monthly funds for hangar maintenance.

24. Thulsa Hex says:

I’m doing the “probably switching to Android, despite being an iPhone user for eight years” thing, and I’m a little nervous! A deal means I can upgrade to a Pixel 2 for half the cost of an iPhone 8, and that’s hard to ignore–especially considering Apple’s last couple of iterations have felt so incremental and uninspired.

I’m making my peace with losing the games and things I’ve bought on iOS over the years, but I’m definitely going to miss iMessage. I’m very much looking forward to a more open and customisable OS, however. …But yeah, it’s weirdly nervous-making.

Otherwise, I hope to get another chunk of Breath of the Wild under my belt. Doubt I’ll finish it by year-end, and that’s ok!

• Koozer says:

Prepare to spend a month cursing and swearing at all the buttons being in the wrong place!

Nyarly362 says:

Offline, heavily terraforming a certain red planet; online NITW for sure. Cannot keep off either of these for long…

26. Buuurr says:

Spellforce III. Love it so far. The scenes and art are great.

27. fish99 says:

Dunno, haven’t felt like gaming much recently. I guess I’m sorta playing Nioh, but only 2 bosses down so far.

Risingson says:

Switching games wildly until we go out

-X rebirth is ROUGH as hell. I have been trying to play each game of the saga and I think that, all in all, it’s the X3 ones the only ones that are really good games. Which is a pity, because their focus is on being the richest and most powerful man in the world, and I don’t like that in space games. Poor me.

– Star Wars Force Unleashed is the typical port of a console game that, to me, feels clunky, unnatural, gimmicky, boring (because the original is). But hey, it seems I am the only one out there that got bored with Darksiders each and every one of the times I tried it.

– So, let’s go to classics. I did not play Ravenloft when it was released, so it has been a surprise seeing how the beginning shows a pretty solid game that introduces the themes perfectly. It has a very thick atmosphere that I love, and I think it is very well written. Those guys at Dreamforge really knew how to create mood.

– Book of Unwritten tales 2 feels to me like written by a different team depending on the chapter. There are very intelligent political satires followed by very stupid attempts at political satire, and the same happens with its puzzles and, actually, with the graphics. Sometimes it is awesome, sometimes it is awful. Well, at least it is a change from The Raven, which was going from a fantastic start quickly downhill to a very low point at the end of the game.

– I am about to finish Hexcells Plus. I’ve been with 6-5 for TWO WEEKS. AND I ALWAYS COMMIT A MISTAKE. AND HAVE TO RESTART. AND HATE MYSELF

– I remembered that I had a 3DS, so I am also going forward with Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies (with the lowest points of the Phoenix Wright saga so far: I have never seen so much blatant homophobia and sexism in these games – but also really bright ones, as the DLC Orca case) and Phoenix Wright vs Ace Attorney (which is lovely but also very easy). I was also finishing the last case of Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2, which never ever ends. I was with that last case since one year ago. But the thing is that this saga has soooo relaxing music that I always fall asleep while playing it.

– Paradigm is fantastic. It deserved a review in RPS.

– Shadowrun Returns is another game that falls short after a great start. It feels like a plastic toy from the shop around the corner. It is just not confortable to play.

– Oh, and I finished SOMA safe mode last week. Seriously: thanks God and thanks Frictional games for safe mode. The game is very beautiful but also it is already pure nightmare fuel without the menace of the monsters killing you. With safe mode at least you can advance through the story… which had hints of Bioshock, which at the same time made me think of Cryostasis and that forgotten and incredibly moody adventure game called Morpheus. The writing is frankly very powerful. The only thing that I did not like is that the main character is a mess and has a messy flat, and I am really tired of adventure game characters that are a mess, that do not take a shower, that use the same hoodie every day. I was thinking “guy, you SMELL”.

Hope you liked my rants.

29. FelipeCC says:

Finished my playthrough of Doki Doki Literature Club. This game hyped me enough to make me look forward playing more visual novels. Amazing.
    Halfway through my The Witcher 1 campaign. I doubt I’ll have any time for that tho.
    The new Star Wars movie is g r e a t.

30. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Continuing to explore the VR landscape and VR creative workflow. Finished a Blender tutorial project and learned a lot about modeling detail, like rubber trim on a basketball and such. But all this time modeling recently has me forgetting my C# so I’ll need to jump back into Unity studies again soon.

On VR experience front, just finished SuperHot VR (love it) and Scanner Sombre (feel mixed), and the Star Wars Droid Factory (beautiful but absurdly simple). Rift Home 2.0 is great, but with frustrating control bugs. Accounting was fun but made too many assumptions about how much free space I have outside my chaperone bounds. Rec Room VR is actually kind of cooler than expected and the paintball game I played there showed a lot of potential.

31. Cocoarico says:

I’m sad there wasn’t a single mention of They Are Billions. It’s utterly fantastic and it’s scratching a long forgotten rts itch. I will beat the first area this weekend (hopefully).

32. Unclepauly says:

Combination of frozen steamalysis(hmmm, they all look good) and League of Legends. I’m coming out of retirement to shake the rust off.

33. lglethal says:

Due to having a weekend of preparing the house for upcoming baby, installing things on walls and general clean up, I’m probably not going to get any time for playing. But if I do, then it will be one of either Total Warhammer II (Go High Elves!), The Division (solo) or Mass Effect 2 (what is this my 3rd or 4th playthrough?). But more then likely i can kiss playtime goodbye… :sigh:

34. FizicsMcmanus says:

Playing The Surge and really enjoying it. I wanted to go chainsword for that “For the Emperor!” feel but im finding staff to be more effective. Interesting game but I really need to finish Bloodborne and Horizon ZD as well but I played a few minutes of Quantum Break and I really liked it too! Too many good games, so little time!

35. Swordfishtrombone says:

Okami is glorious. Bought the HD version on PS3 after getting back from Japan last May and absolutely adored it. Can’t speak for how the newly released HD version for PC is, but can firmly recommend the game itself for the graphics/artwork alone.

36. Seyda Neen says:

This weekend I’m playing some Fallout 4 VR. Slowly getting used to the controls which are quite unintuitive, but it’s working, and it’s a lot of fun to inhabit that world in VR. I always loved Fallout 4’s rooftop exploration, and that’s even better through the goggles.