Contemporary crime-thriller My Eyes On You looks great but sounds stilted

My Eyes On You

Modern-day thrillers are a rare pick as source-material for games, and it’s a terrible shame. There’s so much interesting stuff that we’ve had little chance to experience first-hand. Tales of dogged investigators, unnerving murderers and the mundane, familiar world they weave their way through.

New Ukrainian studio Storymind Entertainment might be onto something, if the slick-looking trailer for their upcoming crime-busting action-adventure My Eyes On You is any indication, although they might want to hire a better translator first. And a new voice cast.

Maybe I’m just not hip enough to be following cutting-edge lingo, but I’m fairly sure that ‘scoundlers’ is not a real word. In fact, half of the script in the trailer above seems unintelligible when written and even moreso when delivered in that woozy, mumbling tone. It’s a pity, as it undermines what would otherwise be a very exciting trailer. Despite the number of guns shown, not a single bullet is fired either, and the brawling combat animations looked very Hollywood, right down to the ‘two seconds and you’re out’ choke hold.

The concept is interesting stuff, too. The story of an FBI agent returning to Chicago to re-open a case gone cold, and resume his hunt for a serial killer known as Carnival Man. Apparently the protagonist will have to deal with anxiety and hallucinations on top of a gang of masked villains, and – perhaps showing their hand a little early – the official site goes as far as spoiling a twist that presumably happens some ways in.

Most oddly though, they mention that depending on what evidence you choose to process in the game, the story may take a more grounded or mystical tone. A strange thing to leave in the player’s hands, and it’ll be interesting to see how they manage to make this work in the context of gameplay. I can’t help but be reminded of the Condemned series, and their rapid descent into incomprehensibility as the games layered more and more supernatural elements onto what seemed initially like a pseudo-realistic detective adventure punctuated with bouts of hobo-bashing ultraviolence.

No release date or price has been announced yet for My Eyes On You, but we do know that the game is coming to PC, and that’s what really matters.

1. racccoon says:

Why Storymind pointed towards Chicago n’ the Fibi, the story should of been on home turf in the ukrainia, the environment & way of life there would of made for a more dramatic place being a detective fighting your way through all types of syndicates, if that’s there approach.
    The animations for the rumble scenes were good & nicely done for the little this game has progressed, it just seemed to me it needed to be in different place than the same old, same old, direction, seemingly for better sales.
    Scoundlers is supposed to be scoundrel’ers I would of thought. lol

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, first thing I thought of. This would be better set on home turf where the voice acting accents wouldn’t sound out of place for English markets. And there wouldn’t be cultural head-slappers like a Drive-In Liquor store advertising apperetives and “fresh beer.”

2. poliovaccine says:

Scoundrelers? I know of scoundrels, but what are scoundrelers? I’m picturing people who either manufacture or else poach the world’s scoundrels..?

3. rubmon says:

“Remind me again…whos jahagh pwe arrival sdijsio eiuwwuwe epersona dsijsdo?”

4. Kolbex says:

Love to drive in for fresh beer and apperetives.

5. fuggles says:

I’m not blessed with spare time myself,buy Dominic – have you considered contacting them and offering your services as some form of proof reader?

Muckers Walker and Cobbett both ended up doing something similar, so may be a good time.

• clockworkrat says:

They could do with a proof-listener as well. That was as incomprehensible as Jeff Bridges in True Grit.

• fuggles says:

There’s always the chance they don’t know and think it’s all good.

• April March says:

English is not my first language and I’m absolutely certain that not long ago I’d think my failure to understand that line was because of my lack of understanding rather than the actor’s failure to enunciate.

6. kud13 says:

I’m Ukrainian-born (admittedly, living in Canada for the past 18 years), and to me that sounded like some faux-Italian gangster accent more than anything in any way, shape, or form Eastern European. Which would make sense, because Chicago and the Mafia.

Edit: and that image header looks like Geralt with a gun. Surely I’m not the only one seeing that?

7. April March says:

Scoundler is a perfectly cromulent word.

Come on, RPS. This article’s been up since yesterday. Do I have to do everything around here?

Comment on this story