ScummVM now supports Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties, Phantasmagoria, Starship Titanic

In its ongoing mission to bring old point ‘n’ click adventure games into an easy, stable, and cross-platform environment, the ScummVM project has launched a hefty update supporting another 23 games. This includes some real heavy hitters, slamming in such wonders as Phantasmagoria and Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties. At times I’ve been dismissive of unpleasant and clumsily erotic ‘mature’ FMV games but I have warmed to them over time; they have a certain surreal charm. Oh, and I suppose you might also be interested in knowing the new version also adds support for games like Starship Titanic, Police Quest 4, and Gabriel Knight. But mostly Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties.

Here’s the full list of games which ScummVM added support for in Sunday’s update:

• Cranston Manor
  • Full Pipe
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Gabriel Knight 2
  • King’s Quest VII
  • King’s Questions
  • Leisure Suit Larry 6 (hi-res)
  • Leisure Suit Larry 7
  • Space Quest 6
  • Starship Titanic
  • The Dark Crystal
  • Time Zone
  • Torin’s Passage
  • Ulysses and the Golden Fleece

Some familiar names! And a few sound games.

The full list of games ScummVM now supports is over here. You’ll need to provide your own copies of games, as ScummVM still needs their data files. GOG sell several set up to run through DOSBox, but in my experiences ScummVM has always been preferable. And this means easy support for playing these games on Android devices (and less easily on iOS).

Hit ScummVM’s site to get downloading, and the ScummVM version 2.0.0 patch notes for full details on what’s new.

Ta to BurningStickMan on MobyGames for snapping that Plumbers shot up top.

1. Risingson says:

Larry 6 is a masterpiece in puzzle design. Larry 7 is a remake of Larry 6 but also very well designed and written. Al Lowe is seriously underrated in this matter.

Phantasmagoria 2 FMV is much more interesting than any of those experiments you hyped so much as Her Story. The end derails, but until then there is a lot of meat. The first one is awful.

Lighthouse, Rama SQ6, KQ7 and many more in this list are interesting failures. They just don’t need your patronising.

• Sin Vega says:

I heard that, Curtis.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Phantasmagoria 2 was (is?) excellent. Loved the atmosphere.

So: what’s the benefit of playing it in SCUMM, anyone know?

What I’d really love is upgraded video but I think the source was lost years ago.

calcifer says:

Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties received negative attention for its abysmal production value, nonsensical storyline, poor acting, and for primarily being presented as a slide show despite being advertised as a full motion video game. As a result, it has been considered to be one of the worst games of all time.

Sounds lovely.

3. Phasma Felis says:

I love how the guy in the middle manages to look like Uncanny Valley CG despite being 100% alive. He looks like he’s in the middle of the “gesticulating wildly” loop that bad devs attach to every speaking character for some reason.

4. TheSplund says:

I do hope that’s ‘Rendevous with Rama’

5. tomimt says:

I hope that at some point someone makes ScummVM support for Discworld Noir. There’s a game that is impossible to get running on any modern hardware or OS. It was hard to get running on Windows XP, but after that, it’s just one of those games that don’t run unless you are running a virtual Win98/95 system.

• yabadabadont says:

Its a 3D game, so not suitable for ScummVM unfortunately. The version at “The Collection Chamber” works wonders on Win7 64-bit
      though (admittedly, using DosBox and a virtual Win95 system).

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

You might also be able to get it running using this guide: link to blog.ihobo.com

I also suspect it’ll run in Wine, following mostly the same steps.

• tomimt says:

Nah, I’ve tried that as well. I got as far as the main menu, but it just kept crashing. I’m guessing 64-bit architecture is to blame, as the game was fidgity to begin with, back when it was new. It just is one of those games made at the crossroads of tech.

• mukuste says:

Apparently it had a PS1 release, so an emulator should run it without problems.

6. Masked Dave says:

Starship Titanic! A game I so desperately wanted to like. Managed to get through to the end but only though heavy use of a walkthrough.

7. vorador says:

Thats a hefty update.

I mean, Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties. A classic for the ages. The game that ends all games. Forever the best. The best title, the best game, the best everything.

Well not really.

8. cheesysmell says:

Oh, Torin’s Passage, that’s a game I haven’t thought of in a while. It was a pretty decent adventure I remember, with pretty art and varied landscapes, and it hit me at the right age, having been a bit too young to appreciate MI1&2. It probably just got buried along with all the other Sierra PACs of the era, and is likely less memorable than Simon the Sorcerer etc., but it’s actually pretty special to me in my mind. Time to find an LP…