Total Warhammer 2’s Tomb Kings rise in January

The Tomb Kings are not a crust punk gang who meet in the vaults of Greyfriars Kirkyard. No, they’re a Warhammer rabble riffing on Ancient Egyptian beliefs, a faction of ancients pharaohs and their servants, risen to rebuild their empire. We’ve known for a while that these sandy sorts are headed to Total War: Warhammer II in paid DLC, and now we know when: January 23rd. Alongside this news, the developers today released a cinematic trailer giving a peek at the Tomb Kings, them with their skeletal warriors, animal-headed giants, scorpions of stone and bone, serpentine sentinels, bonebirds, Necrosphinxes, and oh my god is that a giant statue shooting zapbeams out its eyes?

Yes, I believe it is.

The Tomb Kings will be playable on Total Warhammer 2’s Vortex campaign map with, I’m told by today’s announcement, “a raft of race-specific gameplay mechanics, victory objectives, and lashings of authentic lore.” They’ll also come to Mortal Empires, the campaign smooshing together the worlds of the first two Twarhammer campaigns – which Fraser Brown declared “Total War’s best grand campaign.”

It is a little different to some other Twarham DLC, and the devs say that’s on youse:

“In response to player feedback, Rise of the Tomb Kings does not contain a supplementary story campaign, but instead 2 additional Legendary Lords for a total of four, with their own skills, traits, quest-chains, legendary wargear and situational challenges. Players may embark on Tomb Kings campaigns as Settra the Imperishable, Khalida, Khatep and Nagash’s former lieutenant, the malignant Arkhan the Black.”

Tomb Kings is coming to Steam on January 23rd, 2018. Hit today’s announcement for more details.

1. Be_reasonable says:

Player feedback said they don’t care about the campaign? That’s my reason for playing. I need a reason. The tomb kings look great, but how do they fit into Warhammer? How will we know without a campaign?

Drib says:

Same as to the lizardmen and skaven and pansies.

They just don’t get a new mini-campaign like the wood elves or beastmen. They are added instead as a new faction in the grand campaign.

At least that’s what it sounds like to me.

• Silvermarch says:

No mini-campaign like Wood Elves’ Seasons of Revelations, but they will be playable in both the Vortex Campaign and Mortal Empire. Interestingly, they will not be fighting to control the Vortex but they are scouring the land for the Nine Books of Nagash.

• DarkFenix says:

I’m one of the apparently many people who doesn’t give a stray fart about mini-campaigns. For me the grand campaign is the game, anything else is just an unwanted extra they’re throwing in for the sake of hiking the price.

Didn’t touch the Beastmen campaign, didn’t touch the Wood Elf campaign. Never bought any of the mini-campaign DLCs for any previous TW game either.

2. HexagonalBolts says:

I don’t understand how anyone can think that Mortal Empires is the best campaign for Total War unless they spent very little time in it or the first campaign. It’s the same old Chaos doomstacks magically appearing in awkward places again. I really want some diversity. I wish that your largest enemy could just become more powerful so that every game was different and you would have epic battles against a wide variety of forces.

3. Vacuity729 says:

I must… resist… the… hype…

Must…

Cannot…

Laser-beam-eyed-giants?!?

HYPE FOR THE HYPE CHARIOT!!!
    Curses!

4. TotallyUseless says:

This is great news. It would be nice to play as Necrons of the old world. =))

5. stringerdell says:

I hate chariots but chariots aside I love all of the horrible, freakish looking units in the trailer.

Ive probably put a fairly unhealthy amount of time into the total warhammer games but know nothing else about warhammer so these reveals are always a nice surprise.

6. khamul says:

We are the children of Nagash
    Drinking dirt, eating ash.
    We are the children of the dammed
    The butterfly rots in our hand.
    We are the dark, we are the vile,
    And in the daylight stand defiled
    Are those who bring the children
    Low and foul and rotting
    Go the damned who curse the living
    Light is darkened, fading, bringing
    Night through which the Carrion
    Ride the wind which tears the standard
    Bare of flesh and life we stand
    The Vanguard of the Damned.

Intentionally written for someone who doesn’t have to pause for breath. A bit purple, but I was 14 when I wrote it, I think, and anyway, it’s Warhammer!
    To be whispered, repeated and overlapping in a dusty monotone, as your Tomb King hordes advance.

7. bambusek says:

Finally, Tomb Kings :) And looks like they are bringing all cool stuff with them: both Sphinxes, Hierotitan, Screaming Skull Catapult, Casket of Souls… Only thing I am surprised about is lack of Liche High Priest as caster lord.

8. mcnostril says:

I am extremely disappointed by Settra’s beard. He is not truly Settra with a beard that puny.

9. SaintAn says:

Well that’s not Alith and Malus…

10. Lord of Beer says:

Cool, looks like I can autoresolve 95% of my battles with an army wholly composed of a slightly different looking type of Spearmen.

11. King_Mandu says:

Ah I think you’re in the wrong place. The Rome 2 and historical TW articles are down the hall and to the left.

Comment on this story