Best PC games of 2017

14 of 26

Night in the Woods

John: I’m very excited to see what’s coming in this month’s Director’s Cut of Night In The Woods. It’s because I’m wondering if one of my favourite games of 2017 might be getting a better ending.

Endings aren’t nearly as important as it’s often argued. I adored Night In The Woods in many ways. It is, one one level, one of the most extraordinary pieces of gaming writing I can remember, set in a vividly beautiful 2D world, exploring a mindset utterly different from any of my own experiences. I was transported into this disaffected space of directionless ennui and depression, unlike any of my own muddle of mental illness. I really cannot think of another game that has so effectively and affectingly had me experience someone else’s life. Although this experience isn’t without qualification.

The silly ending has no impact on any of that, really. It does rather rewrite a lot of what I thought was happening, and none of it for the better, but it doesn’t take away from any of the incredible moments along the way. The terrible fight my cat-like character Mae has with her mum, and the crazed need I felt to patch things up with her following, sticks with me months later. And the incidental, the overheard conversations, the snippets of other characters’ lives, that I pieced together into meaningful narratives as I walked by. And so, so many other things.

It took me a long while to find my way in. I struggled to like the game’s voice for the longest time. And then, the more I lived it, the more I understood it. I resented Mae’s perspective, I wanted to shake her, tell her to recognise just how much she has, to snap out of her behaviour. All horrible, terrible responses. The more time I spent with her, the more I understood her, if not empathised with her.

And I struggled with the lack of involvement for too long. For many hours, your main role is to press “next”. As I said in my review, “I would absolutely watch this TV show, but I really resent being asked to crank a handle to do so.” This begins to change.

But it all pales when I remember. When I think back to moments, conversations, late-night emotionally exhausted outbursts, and mall break-ins. I adore it as I recall it. I think that’s what matters most.

Alice: Unlike John ‘The Dad’ Walker, I empathise with Mae too much. Oh god, all too much. So I like all the colours and antics and adventures and crimes and friends as well as the oh so many regrets and so emotional gaps that are hard to look at, let alone cross. I’m definitely not onboard with that handle-cranking comment either; beyond the importance of exploring the town myself, even just getting around I was happy bouncing on cars and kicking through leaves.

What a wonderful tired town full of wonderful tired people.

1. dangermouse76 says:

Merry Christmas all or none or some. Sipping Bunnahabhain ( responsibly ) bouncing my 3 week old girl Erin on my knee and about to start the lamb shoulder braised in white wine and garlic.

It’s been a good year. Here’s to many more.

Also CD projekt if you want to make an open world RPG of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, I wont complain about that.

Much love
    Dangermouse.

• ottovius says:

Oh, the very notion of this makes me light-headed. Please, please, please…

2. TΛPETRVE says:

Prey made my GOTY, too. It’s a flawed game, nowhere particularly outstanding on its own, and yet it scratched an itch that had been bugging me for almost 20 years: It was a true successor to System Shock, a heritage that the BioShock series never lived up to (and Prey even had the great bolshy yarblockos to subtly call Irrational’s franchise out on some of its more glaring issues).

3. digital_sneeze says:

I really wish I liked Prey as much as some. Such great level design, visuals and decent narrative, along with some interesting mechanics let down by some of the least fun and most frustrating combat I’ve ever played.

Still though, Nier, Divinity Sin 2, OneShot and Night In The Woods are on here and that’s what’s important. Still need to finish up Numenera too but I wish it didn’t get lost up its own backside so much. Maybe I just need to accept it’s not going to get close to P:T.

• digital_sneeze says:

Also, a special call out to the Ringed City DLC from Dark Souls, for the Slave Knight Gael boss fight for ending the series on the most fun battle in the franchise.

• gtdp says:

Totally agree with you about Prey, wonderful exploration and world-building totally let down by frustrating combat against endlessly-respawning enemies. Every time I’ve tried to go back to it, I have a really fun twenty minutes or so before finding that I need to waste more precious (non-respawning) resources on killing yet another mimic that’s popped up in the same place for the tenth time. It completely kills my desire to explore this fantastically built world and it’s a real shame.

• digital_sneeze says:

Yeah exactly, there was a major pacing issue for me as a result, I just wanted to get through it. Ah well.

subdog says:

I normally agree about respawning enemies, but in Prey once I realized that it’s triggered entirely by progress in the main story (except for Nightmares, which have a predictable timer, and except for a certain end-game thing that everyone hates), it no longer put a damper on my exploration and actually encouraged me to make changes to the environment to prepare for new spawns that I knew were coming. Setting traps, posting turrets, blocking off paths, gooing ladders to sniper positions and clearing mimickable debris took up a lot of my time in Prey, usually with satisfying results.

Combat also got more fun with the Combat Focus skill. Bullet time is always woth using.

4. LionsPhil says:

Merritudinous Chrimulations, gamefolk.

5. Pulstar says:

Wolfen 2 was quite forgettable, nowhere near a worthy sequel to the first.

6. Addie says:

Just because I’m a number-puzzles type: 80 points total, less 8 on uncounted games, leaves 72 points on 24 games – exactly 3 each. For Edith and DC to be the only ones to tie in first place, they must have scored at least 5 (many ties on 2,3,4) and at most 16 (every other game tied on 2). So whoever really loved Edith enough to give it a majority will have had to give it between 3 and 9 points. In any case, all of the games from 3rd place onwards will have had to have been really close, and mostly draws. Which seems fair, because it’s been a great year for games and it’ll be all difficult decisions to decide what’s best.

Merry xmas and happy new year everyone. Don’t drink anything I wouldn’t.

• Addie says:

Actually, two games can draw on two, and the rest but Edith and DC could have 3, so Edith and DC could win with 4 if it was a really close race.

Aerothorn says:

(For those confused at the above post and this one: RPS has added an explanation of their methodology to slide 26 . It took me a little while to figure this out.)

Thanks for the explanation! That certainly explains some of the oddball picks (I am going to go ahead and guess that Katherine put a decent number of points on The Nonary Games), and also explains how you kept Assassin’s Creed: Origins out of the calendar, which in any other year would have featured on account of being a good-enough game that was played by multiple staff, as opposed to a truly great game played by one person. So I’m gonna say this is a pretty great system :)

I’d also like to say that I’d have been sole victor of the competition had Edith Finch been selected instead of Dead Cells, but I’m happy to share the victory (and I get to continue to enjoy being the only person to ever correctly guess RPS’ GOTY (Rocket League in 2015) which just goes to show how unpredictable you folk are.

Graham Smith says:

“So under this system: what happens if, say, 40 games got 2 points each? Was your method for tiebreaking/kicking games off just in-group discussion? Or did people self-adjust by reassigning points to prevent such shenanigans?”

We’d have dealt with this should it have come up, but re-assigning points did lead to a certain amount of useful self-adjustment, And from previous years, yes, we’ve broken ties just by talking over it. It’s helpful that we’re not making an ordered list, aside from the one winner!

8. cpt_freakout says:

I enjoyed the reveals and the final list quite a lot, particularly because of the surprises. I have a lot to catch up to in the coming year!

Frog says:

Merry Christmas all :)
    I picked up and had fun finishing The Norwood Suite, oddly fun bit there.
    West of Loathing, Nuamera and Edith Finch are taking up my time now. All good stuff, thanks RPS.

10. DeepSleeper says:

Hey RPS folk: For some reason the “Supporter” tag is showing under my name on the sidebar and I seem to have access to supporter articles.
    I didn’t give you anything and don’t deserve this. Just a heads-up.

calcifer says:

Some (but not all) of the supporter articles become public after a little while. Those are the ones you can see.

11. unraveler says:

No Okami? :(

subdog says:

Hidden Folks didn’t even get one point! :(

13. icarussc says:

Yay, WotC! It was cool! But somewhere along the line, I got so sucked into the numbers that I stopped loving my soldiers. That was sad. We’ll give it another go and see if we can do better. The only other thing on this list that I’ve played was Numenera, which was very interesting and different. But I find I don’t remember much of it.

My best games of 2017 were Witcher 3 and its DLCs, plus MGSV and *its* DLCs. I quite enjoyed the latter (though, goodness, Quiet was the Most Gratuitous Person of 2017), but I was honestly blown away by Witcher 3. It’s the first (and only) CPDR game I’ve played, and it was so incredible. Ironically, unlike MGSV, I felt like the fanservice elements were totally avoidable. But I digress.

14. Renato84 says:

No AC Origins, really? It’s the game I’m playing now, been a bliss since the very beginning. It’s definitely up there with other excellent ones I’ve played like Prey, NiER Automata and Edith Finch. It can’t not be in your “25 best of 2017”!

15. andycheese says:

No love for Warhammer2 Total War? My strategy GOTY for certain… I’d have thought it might at least warrant an early spot on the calendar, especially given the largely positive coverage you guys have given it across the year.

16. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Good Lord, I have almost 600 games in my Steam library, over 100 on GOG, plus assorted Origin and Uplay. And somehow I’ve only bought and played Bayonetta on this list.

17. aoanla says:

As usual, these lists mostly make me sad that I don’t have the time/energy to have played more than one of the games on this list this year (it was XCOM2:WotC, btw, and I haven’t even finished one campaign of it yet – the only other game I actually played for any significant amount of time this year was Heat Signature…).

I guess I should buy Opus Magnum now, then…

18. upupup says:

Not my type of list. Games such as Tacoma, Getting Over It and Numenera are by no means bad, but they pale in comparison to the stellar achievements that are Rain World, Darkwood and Hollow Knight. Then there’s ports of a classic like Okami and the excellent Nioh, the adventuring goodness of Thimbleweed Park and Cuphead’s ample style.

This was such a strong year so a number of okay-but-not-great titles sneaking in is weird, though I agree that Rakuen is quite good. That game had a lot of heart.

• poliovaccine says:

Totally agree, including your specifics. Darkwood is fucking unforgettable, Rain World is a work of art, Hollow Knight is just all the fun. Like you say, the picks werent at all bad, but I, too, feel like there were worthier games out there. I’ve played Getting Over It, and I do think Darkwood could have taken its place…

• Turkey says:

I’m listening to the Giant Bomb deliberations and it’s heartbreaking how often Hollow Knight is brought up only to get dismissed.

19. alms says:

For anybody looking for more reasons to get upset :P I’ve collected all of RPS’s picks since 2007 in this post:

link to forum.rockpapershotgun.com

• poliovaccine says:

Ohhh if I wanna get upset I dont need all that..! All I need is to go back and revisit the RPS review of Fallout New Vegas! That one damn near cost this whole site credibility in my eyes! They have John Walker and Brendan Caldwell to thank for my loyalty!

Exclamation!

Aerothorn says:

In defense of Quinns’ review – while Obsidian does the absolute best they can with New Vegas, making an interesting world, great characters, very difficult narrative decisions – they’re still doing it atop an incredibly ropey Bethesda engine and systems design that is flawed at best and broken at worst. Insofar as New Vegas has problems it really isn’t their fault (they couldn’t change engines, rebuild the combat engine from scratch, or any of that) and I throughly enjoyed the game, but if someone didn’t like it because it shared all the mechanical problems of Fallout 3, I really couldn’t blame them.

• left1000 says:

not only that but bethseda was actually in charge of hiring and supervising beta testers during the final quality assurance push for new vegas. So not only was obsidian hampered by the engine, but bethseda was responsible for making sure new vegas was as buggy or less buggy than fallout3, and bethseda dropped the ball on this issue. As a result of these bugs obsidian lost their bonus, which would’ve accounted for almost 100% of the profit they made on the deal. In my mind, this colored bethseda’s supervision of a rushed quality assurance phase before going gold.

20. left1000 says:

I do not like having to click 25 times to read a short list. Sites that force you to do this are usually much more scummy than RPS. In the past the final page of these on RPS was a table of contents list. I love those summary pages. I read the summary, then I see some interesting games on it. Then I go back and read page’s 3 8 and 15, skipping the extra 20 clicks I don’t want to invest.

21. Renato84 says:

AC Origins is my GOTY so far (still haven’t finished, I’m in Alexandria, at level 12). Prey, NiER, Edith Finch, F1 2017 may all have been masterpieces, but AC Origins was the one that jaw dropped me the most.