Best PC games of 2017

6 of 26

OneShot

John: Released in December last year, OneShot employs RPS’s unique Advent Rules for inclusion in this year’s list, and goodness me, it deserves it. OneShot is unlike anything else you’ve played, which is quite the claim to make in such a saturated gaming world. But a true claim.

(And no, don’t let anyone tell you, “it’s a bit like Undertale”. If you bounced off Undertale as hard as I did, ignore this. OneShot is doing something very different, something very specific.)

First, and most importantly, you are a character in OneShot. The main protagonist is a lost little girl, known in the strange land in which she finds herself as “the Messiah”, clutching a light bulb the locals think is the sun, and bemused as to how she got here. But she’s not the game’s only protagonist – that’s where you come in. And indeed the game itself. The game is a character in this game.

The layers start piling up, and then peeling off, in ways I’ve never seen a game do before. The first time it popped itself out of fullscreen to a little RPGMaker window, and then a dialogue window appeared on my desktop directly addressing me (presumably using my Windows account to get my name), I was utterly spellbound. And that’s its move for the opening moments – it gets smarter and more interesting the further you get.

But what makes OneShot so very, very special is that it’s not a collection of super-smart gimmicks – it’s a wonderfully compelling and moving story that embellishes itself with all these fascinating, frame-breaking ideas. Where it could have been smug, it’s instead full of heart. I cared about Messiah more than any gaming character I can think of in years, her vulnerability made so much more meaningful by her directly engaging with me as she explored. She knows I’m there, the game knows I’m there, and she knows the game’s talking to me instead of her. And none of us is entirely comfortable with the situation.

This becomes more complicated by Messiah’s understandable assumption that you, the person playing, might be some sort of god. The game lets you choose whether this is something you want to lean into, or dispel her of immediately, and knowing which way to go isn’t simple.

And then it just keeps getting cleverer. It does things I didn’t know my PC could even do. It messes about with you desktop, it uses hidden files, it… well I can’t spoil the good stuff. I can just implore you to switch off any non-standard desktop management software you might have running before you start (I had to disable DisplayFusion). And none of it is for the sake of it – all these odd little features directly tap into the story, and deepen the relationship between you and the game, and Messiah herself.

Oh, and even the game’s name is a stunningly clever little idea, that reveals itself as you play. Oh gosh, it’s all so clever, but also all so lovely! Games this special are rare, and it’d be such a shame if you missed out on OneShot because of its RPGMaker wrapping. It’s gorgeous and smart and packed with feels, and the most innovative game in forever.

1. dangermouse76 says:

Merry Christmas all or none or some. Sipping Bunnahabhain ( responsibly ) bouncing my 3 week old girl Erin on my knee and about to start the lamb shoulder braised in white wine and garlic.

It’s been a good year. Here’s to many more.

Also CD projekt if you want to make an open world RPG of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, I wont complain about that.

Much love
    Dangermouse.

• ottovius says:

Oh, the very notion of this makes me light-headed. Please, please, please…

2. TΛPETRVE says:

Prey made my GOTY, too. It’s a flawed game, nowhere particularly outstanding on its own, and yet it scratched an itch that had been bugging me for almost 20 years: It was a true successor to System Shock, a heritage that the BioShock series never lived up to (and Prey even had the great bolshy yarblockos to subtly call Irrational’s franchise out on some of its more glaring issues).

3. digital_sneeze says:

I really wish I liked Prey as much as some. Such great level design, visuals and decent narrative, along with some interesting mechanics let down by some of the least fun and most frustrating combat I’ve ever played.

Still though, Nier, Divinity Sin 2, OneShot and Night In The Woods are on here and that’s what’s important. Still need to finish up Numenera too but I wish it didn’t get lost up its own backside so much. Maybe I just need to accept it’s not going to get close to P:T.

• digital_sneeze says:

Also, a special call out to the Ringed City DLC from Dark Souls, for the Slave Knight Gael boss fight for ending the series on the most fun battle in the franchise.

• gtdp says:

Totally agree with you about Prey, wonderful exploration and world-building totally let down by frustrating combat against endlessly-respawning enemies. Every time I’ve tried to go back to it, I have a really fun twenty minutes or so before finding that I need to waste more precious (non-respawning) resources on killing yet another mimic that’s popped up in the same place for the tenth time. It completely kills my desire to explore this fantastically built world and it’s a real shame.

• digital_sneeze says:

Yeah exactly, there was a major pacing issue for me as a result, I just wanted to get through it. Ah well.

subdog says:

I normally agree about respawning enemies, but in Prey once I realized that it’s triggered entirely by progress in the main story (except for Nightmares, which have a predictable timer, and except for a certain end-game thing that everyone hates), it no longer put a damper on my exploration and actually encouraged me to make changes to the environment to prepare for new spawns that I knew were coming. Setting traps, posting turrets, blocking off paths, gooing ladders to sniper positions and clearing mimickable debris took up a lot of my time in Prey, usually with satisfying results.

Combat also got more fun with the Combat Focus skill. Bullet time is always woth using.

4. LionsPhil says:

Merritudinous Chrimulations, gamefolk.

5. Pulstar says:

Wolfen 2 was quite forgettable, nowhere near a worthy sequel to the first.

6. Addie says:

Just because I’m a number-puzzles type: 80 points total, less 8 on uncounted games, leaves 72 points on 24 games – exactly 3 each. For Edith and DC to be the only ones to tie in first place, they must have scored at least 5 (many ties on 2,3,4) and at most 16 (every other game tied on 2). So whoever really loved Edith enough to give it a majority will have had to give it between 3 and 9 points. In any case, all of the games from 3rd place onwards will have had to have been really close, and mostly draws. Which seems fair, because it’s been a great year for games and it’ll be all difficult decisions to decide what’s best.

Merry xmas and happy new year everyone. Don’t drink anything I wouldn’t.

• Addie says:

Actually, two games can draw on two, and the rest but Edith and DC could have 3, so Edith and DC could win with 4 if it was a really close race.

Aerothorn says:

(For those confused at the above post and this one: RPS has added an explanation of their methodology to slide 26 . It took me a little while to figure this out.)

Thanks for the explanation! That certainly explains some of the oddball picks (I am going to go ahead and guess that Katherine put a decent number of points on The Nonary Games), and also explains how you kept Assassin’s Creed: Origins out of the calendar, which in any other year would have featured on account of being a good-enough game that was played by multiple staff, as opposed to a truly great game played by one person. So I’m gonna say this is a pretty great system :)

I’d also like to say that I’d have been sole victor of the competition had Edith Finch been selected instead of Dead Cells, but I’m happy to share the victory (and I get to continue to enjoy being the only person to ever correctly guess RPS’ GOTY (Rocket League in 2015) which just goes to show how unpredictable you folk are.

Graham Smith says:

“So under this system: what happens if, say, 40 games got 2 points each? Was your method for tiebreaking/kicking games off just in-group discussion? Or did people self-adjust by reassigning points to prevent such shenanigans?”

We’d have dealt with this should it have come up, but re-assigning points did lead to a certain amount of useful self-adjustment, And from previous years, yes, we’ve broken ties just by talking over it. It’s helpful that we’re not making an ordered list, aside from the one winner!

8. cpt_freakout says:

I enjoyed the reveals and the final list quite a lot, particularly because of the surprises. I have a lot to catch up to in the coming year!

Frog says:

Merry Christmas all :)
    I picked up and had fun finishing The Norwood Suite, oddly fun bit there.
    West of Loathing, Nuamera and Edith Finch are taking up my time now. All good stuff, thanks RPS.

10. DeepSleeper says:

Hey RPS folk: For some reason the “Supporter” tag is showing under my name on the sidebar and I seem to have access to supporter articles.
    I didn’t give you anything and don’t deserve this. Just a heads-up.

calcifer says:

Some (but not all) of the supporter articles become public after a little while. Those are the ones you can see.

11. unraveler says:

No Okami? :(

subdog says:

Hidden Folks didn’t even get one point! :(

13. icarussc says:

Yay, WotC! It was cool! But somewhere along the line, I got so sucked into the numbers that I stopped loving my soldiers. That was sad. We’ll give it another go and see if we can do better. The only other thing on this list that I’ve played was Numenera, which was very interesting and different. But I find I don’t remember much of it.

My best games of 2017 were Witcher 3 and its DLCs, plus MGSV and *its* DLCs. I quite enjoyed the latter (though, goodness, Quiet was the Most Gratuitous Person of 2017), but I was honestly blown away by Witcher 3. It’s the first (and only) CPDR game I’ve played, and it was so incredible. Ironically, unlike MGSV, I felt like the fanservice elements were totally avoidable. But I digress.

14. Renato84 says:

No AC Origins, really? It’s the game I’m playing now, been a bliss since the very beginning. It’s definitely up there with other excellent ones I’ve played like Prey, NiER Automata and Edith Finch. It can’t not be in your “25 best of 2017”!

15. andycheese says:

No love for Warhammer2 Total War? My strategy GOTY for certain… I’d have thought it might at least warrant an early spot on the calendar, especially given the largely positive coverage you guys have given it across the year.

16. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Good Lord, I have almost 600 games in my Steam library, over 100 on GOG, plus assorted Origin and Uplay. And somehow I’ve only bought and played Bayonetta on this list.

17. aoanla says:

As usual, these lists mostly make me sad that I don’t have the time/energy to have played more than one of the games on this list this year (it was XCOM2:WotC, btw, and I haven’t even finished one campaign of it yet – the only other game I actually played for any significant amount of time this year was Heat Signature…).

I guess I should buy Opus Magnum now, then…

18. upupup says:

Not my type of list. Games such as Tacoma, Getting Over It and Numenera are by no means bad, but they pale in comparison to the stellar achievements that are Rain World, Darkwood and Hollow Knight. Then there’s ports of a classic like Okami and the excellent Nioh, the adventuring goodness of Thimbleweed Park and Cuphead’s ample style.

This was such a strong year so a number of okay-but-not-great titles sneaking in is weird, though I agree that Rakuen is quite good. That game had a lot of heart.

• poliovaccine says:

Totally agree, including your specifics. Darkwood is fucking unforgettable, Rain World is a work of art, Hollow Knight is just all the fun. Like you say, the picks werent at all bad, but I, too, feel like there were worthier games out there. I’ve played Getting Over It, and I do think Darkwood could have taken its place…

• Turkey says:

I’m listening to the Giant Bomb deliberations and it’s heartbreaking how often Hollow Knight is brought up only to get dismissed.

19. alms says:

For anybody looking for more reasons to get upset :P I’ve collected all of RPS’s picks since 2007 in this post:

link to forum.rockpapershotgun.com

• poliovaccine says:

Ohhh if I wanna get upset I dont need all that..! All I need is to go back and revisit the RPS review of Fallout New Vegas! That one damn near cost this whole site credibility in my eyes! They have John Walker and Brendan Caldwell to thank for my loyalty!

Exclamation!

Aerothorn says:

In defense of Quinns’ review – while Obsidian does the absolute best they can with New Vegas, making an interesting world, great characters, very difficult narrative decisions – they’re still doing it atop an incredibly ropey Bethesda engine and systems design that is flawed at best and broken at worst. Insofar as New Vegas has problems it really isn’t their fault (they couldn’t change engines, rebuild the combat engine from scratch, or any of that) and I throughly enjoyed the game, but if someone didn’t like it because it shared all the mechanical problems of Fallout 3, I really couldn’t blame them.

• left1000 says:

not only that but bethseda was actually in charge of hiring and supervising beta testers during the final quality assurance push for new vegas. So not only was obsidian hampered by the engine, but bethseda was responsible for making sure new vegas was as buggy or less buggy than fallout3, and bethseda dropped the ball on this issue. As a result of these bugs obsidian lost their bonus, which would’ve accounted for almost 100% of the profit they made on the deal. In my mind, this colored bethseda’s supervision of a rushed quality assurance phase before going gold.

20. left1000 says:

I do not like having to click 25 times to read a short list. Sites that force you to do this are usually much more scummy than RPS. In the past the final page of these on RPS was a table of contents list. I love those summary pages. I read the summary, then I see some interesting games on it. Then I go back and read page’s 3 8 and 15, skipping the extra 20 clicks I don’t want to invest.

21. Renato84 says:

AC Origins is my GOTY so far (still haven’t finished, I’m in Alexandria, at level 12). Prey, NiER, Edith Finch, F1 2017 may all have been masterpieces, but AC Origins was the one that jaw dropped me the most.