Max & Maya: Cat Simulator might not be the most authentic thing ever

Max & Maya: Cat Simulator

As the owner/chosen human/minion of two twitchy felines, I’m fairly certain that at least 80% of the things shown in the trailer for Max & Maya: Cat Simulator are factually inaccurate, though I wish that wasn’t the case. The idea of cat civilization rising to fill the power vacuum in the event of a zombie apocalypse is an amusing one.

Due for release sometime in 2018, the debut title from OMG Studio, Max & Maya, looks to be a strange blend of influences and genres that, despite seemingly boundless potential for jank, has just enough polish and creativity on show in the trailer after the jump to pique my interest.

While the intentionally glitchy mess that is Goat Simulator does seem to be at least a partial inspiration for Max & Maya (at least in terms of tone) there has clearly been a lot of time and effort poured into the movement animations on these cats, as they bounce and leap their way across the scenery, so I don’t want to dismiss it as just another wacky mash-up of mismatched game assets.

One particular screenshot on the Steam storefront for the game shows a settlement management screen, with you assigning mogs to various roles around your fortress home. The sheer volume of stats and resources on show suggests that either it’s a very elaborate throwaway joke, of hinting that there’s surprising depth and complexity to the game.

Given some of the strange otherworldly environments showed in the trailer, and such surreal scenes as cats battling alien invaders by moonlight, and feline versus canine royal rumbles aided by magical bombardment from the sidelines, there might be something really unique going on here.

Max & Maya: Cat Simulator isn’t due for release until some ways into 2018, but you can wishlist it on Steam if you want to be kept abreast of any surprise release announcements. No price tag

1. Lord_Santa says:

I believe that a lot of people, living with or without cats, have at one point or another had the idea of creating a ‘cat-simulator’, of some kind

now I realize that we need something more serious than Goat Simulator to keep this genre interesting, but this does seem unnecessarily cluttered, even though I fully understand the concept of the cats experiencing different adventures (seemingly ranging from holding down a Zombie-fortress, to battling Aliens and everyday stuff, such as avoiding kids, attacking neighbors, etc.) – maybe ‘being a cat’ is not entertaining enough, but after BBC’s cat-documentaries (*hint, hint*) and now that we know a great deal more of cats’ lives overall, I believe that something more interesting could be done with the concept

• LearningToSmile says:

I know, right? A game about being a cat seems like the most obvious idea ever, and I have no idea why a proper one doesn’t exist yet.

I actually thought a cat game of sorts would be neat since playing a shooter years ago whose name escapes me right now, that had you playing as various toys in a colorful suburban house environment. The experience of playing in a regular house and garden from a miniature perspective was pretty fun, and I thought it would lend well to a cat-based adventure game.

• BTAxis says:

There’s Catlateral Damage, though that might be a bit too narrowly focused for what you have in mind.

• Electricfox says:

There’s that promising looking HK Project, where you explore a Kowloon Walled City-esque place: link to

• April March says:

That looks interesting, though quite human-centric and based on narrow corridors.

• lancelot says:

Writing a cat simulator is easy: it would be a script that wakes up your machine at 5 a.m. and starts making annoying sounds and rattling the controller.

2. Landiss says:

“I’m fairly certain that at least 80% of the things shown in the trailer for Max & Maya: Cat Simulator are factually inaccurate”

I think you have no idea what you are talking about. My cats certainly give me the impression they are doing all the things shown in the trailer when I’m not looking.

3. mpk says:

There are cats in hats. I’m in.

4. dethtoll says:

Toxic shawarma, though.

5. Uncle Fass says:

PewDiePie reference, dodgy framerate, and has ‘simulator’ in title. Would love to be wrong, but it’s really not looking good to me.

• April March says:

Aye. It is exactly what I’d expect as the output of a dev called ‘OMG Studios’.

6. Moni says:

Some of that cat animation is pretty good though.

File under: “Devs that know they will never reach their lofty ambitions, so will revel in their failure for everyone’s entertainment”

7. Nietzscher says:

This is so going on my wishlist.

8. charmless says:

cats… I’m in too.

9. BaaBaa says:

Are Photoshop and Blender unlockable characters?

10. Zenicetus says:

The cat animation isn’t that good. They don’t look connected to the ground when they’re running. When one jumps on a guy’s back, it doesn’t look like it’s actually landing there. Very basic jump in/jump out attack animations too. Haven’t the devs ever seen an actual cat fight? They *commit* to it, with scratching and tearing.

The zombies and aliens are jarring against the more realistic situations. I guess if it has cats as a theme, it will sell anyway.

11. Blackcompany says:

Just let me play as a well animated cat, in an open world city. Looking for food, navigating verticality, enticing humans for food and scritches…

Just get the movement and animation right, then turn us loose in an urban sandbox…

• Zenicetus says:

I would buy that. You could play as either docile human-taming indoor cats, or feral urban and suburban neighborhood cats. For the latter, there would be cat-on-cat fights for territory and mating, stalking bird feeders, etc.

Probably not cuddly enough to sell with songbird murders and anything close to actual mating and territorial rituals, but more realistic than what they’re showing here.

• April March says:

I’d play that. Keep the tamed cat option and let players play the game without violence if they’re so inclined. I basically want to play Assassin’s Creed without goals and also you’re a cat.

• devlocke says:

I think it is console-only but Tokyo Jungle scratches a lot of those itches, if you happen to have a PS3 laying around somewhere. I can lose hours in that game. If you want to be non-violent you can’t be a housecat, you have to be an herbivore. But for just roaming a small urban area looking for food and trying to survive in order to breed, it’s lovely.