Podcast: What we want from PC gaming in 2018

BAM. A sound captures your headphones and holds you hostage. It’s the RPS podcast, the Electronic Wireless Show. We’ve been lying in wait for the past three weeks, consolidating our strength and preparing to kidnap you by the ear canals. “Listen up, 2018!” we shout out from atop this metaphor. “We have a list of demands and we’re not releasing this poor listener until you’ve delivered! Or until the one hour playtime is up, whichever comes first!”

Here’s our demands: Adam wants more surprises and creativity from big developers, but also for Pathologic 2 to be good. Alec desires something that will confound and delight him as much as Twin Peaks, perhaps another act of Kentucky Route Zero. And Brendan wants a large, intricately-designed city to explore, maybe a release date for Cyberpunk 2077. Is that too much to ask? Our listeners also shout their demands, making the list quite a long one. But you had better deliver, 2018. Or else.

You can listen above, or go straight to Soundcloud where you can download it for later.

You can also get the RSS feed here or find it on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. Suspenseful hostage-holding music is by Jack de Quidt.

Want to write in with questions or suggest a theme for a future episode? Now you can, to podcast@rockpapershotgun.com.

Dead Cells was our game of the year

Steam’s 100 bestselling games of 2017

Platinum self-publishing games of their own

Have you played… Anatomy?

The games that channel Twin Peaks

The Pathologic remake is called Pathologic 2 for some reason

Prey review

Adam loves the skill trees of Kingdom Come: Deliverance

The screening of Jaws on a lake in the US

Have you played… Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance?

1. Blake Casimir says:

More first person immersive sims PLEASE. Dungeon crawlers, RPGs, stealth games, whatever. I just cannot wait until the gaming industry realises third person is not preferable and not all gamers like to play such games!! (This is not a joke or a troll. Who doesn’t want another Stalker, Deus Ex, Thief, Prey, System Shock, Ultima Underworld etc etc.)

• Jason Moyer says:

Otherside needs to release some games, and they need to not suck.

• SBLux says:

A real Ultima Underworld sequel would be amazing but will sadly not happen unless EA relinquish the publishing rights to the Utilma series.

• napoleonic says:

First person immersive sims are the best games.

• SaintAn says:

Preferably some sandbox games inspired by Fallout 3+ and TES with heavy mod support now that Bethesda is awful and greedy with no care about anything other than profits. It’s sad that I dread new games in my once favorite genre.

2. aircool says:

Customisable colours for HUD/UI etc…, preferably with choices of shapes that are two tone (ie, an outline colour and a fill colour) because the current colourblind modes are poorly thought and poorly executed.

For example, in Star Wars Battlefront II, two of the colourblind modes turn the enemy the same colour as your 4-man group whom you spawn alongside (or at least that’s the way it looks if you’re colourblind). Such a simple, schoolboy error makes it feel like DICE are trolling colourblind people with their crap colourblind modes.

As I always say, if any developers would like some advice on how to cater to 10% of the market, I’m available.

• KDR_11k says:

I get the feeling that the colorblindness modes in games like Doom run filters meant to simulate color blindness, not increase visibility for colorblind people…

3. otakucore says:

I want advances in AI to find their way into games. Not just for enemy AI, but things like FaceApp and new methods of generating 3D assets.

More VR would also be great, but I looked into it and figured I’d have to spend at least $1,000 just to be able to use VR on my current PC. So I’m rooting more for hardware advancements than games, but the software has to be there as well in order for adoption to increase.

4. Lorka says:

Why on earth would you need to bleep swearing, though?

• valuum says:

We just had an article entirely about dicks, so this seemed especially weird. Regardless, the principle itself is ridiculous.

• ZippyLemon says:

It’s not swearing. We all bleep like this in the UK.

5. Turkey says:

Similar to what that guy was saying, I would like to see another attempt at a short RPG with a huge amount of branching paths and endings.

6. KDR_11k says:

Those GPD Win devices are supposedly switch-like Steamboxes. Never held one so I cannot vouch for them.

7. juan_h says:

More Linux ports. Things are actually pretty good on Linux these days, with everyone from 2K to Square-Enix releasing Linux versions for many of their games. And of course there are a million indie games for Linux as well. It’s not as if I lack games to play . . . but I still want more.

8. racccoon says:

What we don’t want anymore is VR games in 2018.
    VR Devs need to stop wasting their time & energy on this.

• Heretic7 says:

I want more VR games. Is that ok or should I stop playing to please you?

9. Sascha23 says:

Would be so stoked if Yakuza series ever made it to PC, but I highly doubt it. As likely as Persona series making it to PC.

• Petri says:

This is my dream too. Back when I had a working PS3 and TV, Yakuza 3 & 4 were the only console exclusives, outside of Nintendo games, that I just absolutely adored.

Maybe they felt slightly clunky, but they had a great cast and story, but my favourite thing was just walking around in Okinawa and Kamurocho, popping in a store to buy a fizzy drink.

Each month I google “Yakuza to PC” hoping that Sega finally gets its act together…..

10. Seyda Neen says:

Have barely started listening and I’m wondering what the frak went down at that 8:30 point. The intrigue!

• Seyda Neen says:

Now I’m scratching my head as to why that spike was even there.

11. SBLux says:

I used to play on a bike arcade machine in my local leisure center, just like the one in the article picture. You had to lean the bike left and right to steer. I was so small and light I could barely move the bike but I still had a good go. It was worth going swimming just so I could play that afterwards.

12. spaced says:

I’d listen to an episode on gaming in the bath.

Though if I were Brendan, having Philippa Warr in my bath is all I’d ever need. /swoon