The truck of nightmares

nightmare truck

I want you to do three things before you watch the below. First, I want you to reassure anyone else in your household or workplace that they are perfectly safe, no matter what they might hear. Then I want you to turn your volume up very loud indeed. Finally, I want you to imagine yourself not as the driver of the truck you will see, but as the driver of the small, cream-coloured car in front of it.

A lonely freeway, late at night. No sound but the thrum of your engine. And then.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU…

This is the traumatic result of an audio mod for American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2, which replaces the default horn sound with the otherworldly horror-honk of the aliens from Speilberg’s War Of The Worlds adaptation.

I have little-to-no interest in that movie, by-the-by. What I am very interested in is becoming the trucker of nightmares, terrifying the life out of innocent motorists as I howl along the night roads. Imagine experiencing this in real life. Hell, imagine experiencing this without warning in an ATS/ETS2 multiplayer mod (which, sadly, do not support it as yet).

If you want to use it yourself, it’s the work of wisco01 and can be added to ATS via the Steam Workshop here, or here for the ETS2 version. Note that you’ll have to activate it in Mod Manager when you fire up the game too.

I live in hope.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

The chances of people peeing in cars was a million to one they said.

zinzan says:

Thank you for the warning – it might be an idea to warn people about watching this at work!!!

Some quick thinking was required – No thanks required.

3. Skiv says:

URAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOO

4. ukpanik says:

For the record, for the record.

5. Megatron says:

Those honks from the Tripods (and the ‘pods themselves) were just about the only thing I actually enjoyed in that terrible movie. I live for the day when Tom Cruise stops making films in my chosen genre.

• Neutrino says:

Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow are damn good sci fi.

• jj2112 says:

Edge of Tomorrow yes, I found Oblivion predictable and boring. Minority Report was great too and it had Cruise in it.

• Daymare says:

EoT was such a surprise hit for me. I went in not knowing a thing and loved every minute.

Oblivion otoh felt like a mish-mash of ideas I’d already seen delivered better in other SF movies and games. For a movie that — I think — wanted to be twisty, it sure felt overfamiliar.

6. Kefren says:

Serendipity – I wrote about alien invasion stories only this morning, including War of the Worlds and Jeff Wayne’s musical version (with the Oooo-laaaaa!s) :-)
    link to karldrinkwater.uk

7. tanith says:

“For the record, I clicked through to it hoping from the name that it would make my horn play the unforgettable ULLA sound from Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds.”

After reading the first few paragraphs I was hoping that, too. However, I was only mildly disappointed when I found out this isn’t the case.

8. SminkyBazzA says:

I drive a very small car and have always wanted to fit something akin to a oil tanker’s fog horn, for a similar effect.

particlese says:

I remember seeing a youtube video where people did it with a train horn, but it cheesed me off to no end because they just went around deafening pedestrians. I love the concept as you pitch it, but not so much the traditional loudness.

9. Cederic says:

If I ever win the lottery the Maserati to which I treat myself will suffer a crippling performance hit as it drags around the audio equipment required to do this to middle lane hoggers on the M5 going past Gloucester. Oh hell yes.

10. Ben says:

The Spielberg WOTW was pretty good.

11. Ejia says:

The vengeance truck is coming.

12. Darloth says:

So, Have You Played: Jeff Wayne’s The War of the Worlds (the 1998 video game)?

I have! It seems pretty rare now, and annoyingly I’ve lost my copy, but I remember it came with amazing music. The soundtrack was apparently remixed from Jeff Wayne’s musical version by some group I’ve never heard of before called Max Mondo, under Jeff Wayne’s direction in some way, and I think the overall result was really nice. It was also a rather interesting grand strategy / RTS hybrid, and while it was deeply janky in many places it also had a lot of interesting ideas and remains the only game to really evoke the appropriate WotW feeling, plus, it was playable (and felt very different) from either side!

I could go on, but this is a comment, not an article. :)

Comment on this story