Treasure Adventure World sets sail on February 7th

Update: Because I’m braindead this first week, I mistakenly said it’s out February 8th. Nope, it’s the 7th.

A good five years after we first posted about it, Robit Games’ open-world puzzle-platformer Treasure Adventure World will sail out next month. Publishers Chucklefish Games, who also published Stardew Valley and Starbound, today announced that Treasure Adventure World will launch on February 7th. The important bit is: you get to sail around on a boat which can shrink down to fit in your pocket. Also it has exploring, fighting, puzzling, nightclubs, and other cute stuff in this trailer, but I’m mostly in it for the boat. Check out this new trailer:

Ah, boat! And diving from boat. Boat! Apparently the game has a weather system so you’ll excuse me if I bob on the waves and watch the rain come and go as you battle bosses or whatever it is you like to do.

This is actually a mega-expanded remake of Robit’s Treasure Adventure Game from 2011, which you can still download free. That might give a vague sense of what TAW is up to but obviously the ideas (and art!) have come a long way in seven years, and Robit themselves say TAG has flaws and bugs.

Treasure Adventure World will cost £7/$10 when it arrives on February 7th. Store pages are already up on Steam and GOG.

platypusfool says:

TAG was amazing. For me it would’ve been on that ‘Best Metroidvanias’ list for sure. I think part of its appeal though was how surprising it was that something initially so simple kept evolving and changing, introducing all sorts of concepts. And it was massive! Hopefully all that translates to the new version.

Waltorious says:

I also liked the original Treasure Adventure Game a lot. It’s free on GOG (and elsewhere) if people want to try it. I also wrote about it on my personal game blog:

link to

When I first saw the announcement for Treasure Adventure World years ago, I was concerned that it seemed to be losing some of the feel of the original, much as peterako1989 argues below. The new trailer looks much improved, however, so I’m interested to see how the final game turns out. Besides, the original is still available (and free!) for those who want to play that.

2. peterako1989 says:

I urge you to play the original before this. It seems TAW makes changes that might make many moments not feel like they did in the original.

Phasma Felis says:

I saw a Jojamart in there. :) Is this formally in the same world as Stardew Valley, or is that just a passing reference?

• RobitGames says:

I like to think of it as part of the Chucklefish Multiverse.

4. April March says:

Good news, but I was absolutely underwhelmed by TAG. Looked fun but I found it mostly joyless. Maybe I should give it another try.

5. ropeladder says:

Am I then only person who really doesn’t like the 2D ragdoll animation style, where people look like they are tacked together with pins? I can’t think of a game where it really worked. Maybe I’m too much a child of the 16-bit era (as opposed to NewGrounds and flash animation?), but give me choppy sprites any day.

• noizz says:

I don’t have an issue when it’s done properly, like in Rayman Legends, but this execution shows how rigid and artificial it can be. It is missing the whole Illusion of Life (search on youtube) aspects of animation. It’s even more exaggerated by programmer art where everything looks like it had no lighting, nor atmosphere.

• RobitGames says:

As the developer of this game I actually agree with you that traditional 2d animation is superior. The reality of game-dev is that that type of animation is very expensive and the amount of animation required by the player characters (around 110 different animations) was well beyond our budget. That said, all the NPCs (and some enemies) are animated in the traditional way. Hope you’ll still enjoy the game!

6. Eluent says:

Same thing here. The original was such a joy to play. And that’s coming from someone who isn’t at all a fan of the genre. I hope they’ll get some well-deserved dough and recognition now.