What are we all playing this weekend?

Back once again with the ill behaviour, yeah? Ooh it’s been a strange week, with half of Team RPS still on holiday (we’ve swiped their chairs to put our feet up) and video games still warming up. I’m sure next week will all be burning donuts on our gamehogs but for now: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what’s we’re clicking on.

Adam: I want to spend some time with horde-thwarting RTS game They Are Billions, but I’m probably going to end up playing Plunkbat because I’ve barely touched the new map and I’m still childishly excited about the replay recordings.
Alec: I’m taking the wee one to see her auntie in That London this weekend, so games will be limited to pretending to be a cat for eight straight hours. Once night has fallen, I reckon I might treat myself to the jaundiced glow of a Kentucky Route Zero replay, in the hope it can act as an incantation to summon Act V.
Alice: I want to get good at Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – actually good, not just ‘able to finish the game’ good enough. I’m studying, I’m practising, and I will do these cool murders real well. Elsewhere in Metalgearia, I’m revisiting The Phantom Pain to polish off side-missions and just plain lark about. I don’t tend to 100% games whose campaigns I’ve already finished but I am happy to sneak around and play with the high-end sillytech.
Brendan: The singing fists of Tekken 7 call me ever closer, entreating me to embrace my destiny as a washed-up cage fighter. But I’m also going back into GTAV for some crime-doing with some friends. The part I look forward to most is the post-heist merriment, during which we all get matching tattoos.
Graham: [Fired. Happy new year! -ed.]
John: [Fired -ed.]
Katharine:I’ll be delving further into the time-travelling horror show that is Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma this weekend. It’s a lot more gruesome than its predecessors, as each puzzle room I’ve done so far has often ended with a horrible life or death decision. To date, I’ve seen characters die from chainsawing each other in half, suffocating from carbon monoxide poisoning, chopping off their own head and I’ve even watched whole groups of them get dissolved in an acid shower. Hooray! I haven’t been put off yet, though, as I really, really want to find out what happens at the end – even if it means never looking at my shower quite the same way again.
Matt: [Fired -ed.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Arathorn says:

I’ll probably be playing some more Transport Fever, which I have been binging over the last few weeks. It’s really become a great game since its release over a year ago, and they are still patching it. In fact I might have to wait for the next patch before I can finish this game, since it is focussed on performance and my rig is starting to struggle trying to simulate over 40000 passengers (and quite a bit of cargo too).

• CharlieBuckley says:

I get paid over $95 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing… Click Here And Start Work

2. Lars Westergren says:

Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider. So good. The lavish details and level design of the best of Bioshock, with gameplay like Thief.

link to steamcommunity.com

3. King in Winter says:

I picked up, no doubt like many others, Sunless Sea during the Steam sale so I’m about to have a look this weekend.

4. sunahe says:

I’m playing “Make all the question marks on the map disappear”, aka Witcher 3. After 90 hours it’s a bit exhausting but must… go… on…

5. Ejia says:

Aviary Attorney. It is indeed Ace Attorney but with a Falcon instead of a Phoenix. At least at first, anyway.

6. fish99 says:

I’m still discovering things in VR on my new Rift, and it’s worth the price of admission so far. It’s breathed some fresh life into Minecraft – which is surprisingly good, and plays well, in VR. Seeing a life-sized creeper or spider, or looking over a precipice you nearly fell into while feeling like you’re actually there, it brings back the wonder and terror of playing the game for the first time.

Google Earth is breathtaking in VR, although the scale of everything is often enough to make me go a bit queasy, especially when height is involved. Racing/driving games work great in VR too – Dirt Rally, iRacing, Assetto Corsa and both Truck Sims. And having played Aircar, someone needs to remake G-Police in VR.

The technology has its drawbacks too, the resolution, the ‘godrays’ from the lenses, the occasional nausea, plus it’s a bit annoying to use with glasses. I don’t see it replacing monitor gaming, it’s more like an amazingly new games system, with it’s own experiences and fresh new ways of interacting.

• M0dusPwnens says:

While you’re looking at Minecraft, be sure to poke around and download a few of the huge, really detailed builds people have done and fly around them.

Before I tried VR, I would look at some of those buildings and think they were pretty and maybe impressive in terms of the scope of the project, but in VR their sheer scale is absolutely mind-blowing. I spent one entire evening just googling for neat builds and flying through them in creative mode and I had a grin ear-to-ear the entire time. Of all the VR stuff I’ve tried, I think that evening was honestly the most powerful.

• Lars Westergren says:

> The technology has its drawbacks too, the resolution

HTC will have a New Years “Resolution” tomorrow, so likely a new Vive version. Apart from resolution, it will definitely have the new improved lighthouses with one rotor instead of two. I’d say it’s likely it will have the built in audio strap.

And who knows, maybe it will have the new hand controllers and wireless too.

• fish99 says:

It’s definitely interesting to see where VR goes and I believe most of the issues with it (aside from nausea) will be solved in the near future. As someone who just bought a Rift though it’s a little depressing to think I’ll have to shell out again.

7. Avioto says:

I am playing through SW Knight of the Old Republic 2 again on my GPD Win, forgot how good that game is. Also still playing through AC Oranges and Persona 5.

8. Carra says:

They are billions. Its been a while since I’ve played a game where I take a look at my watch and wonder how it’s already past midnight.

9. SaintAn says:

I’m not sure. I’m in the mood for something with a lot of science and tech, so all I can think of is playing more Stellaris, Rimworld, or Fallout 4 (very heavily modded because the game is shit otherwise, but sadly it has very poor mod support from the community so even that’s not enough to hold the shit-tide back). Also considering Nier Autotamita and Zero Dawn on my PS4, but I’m not sure I’m in the mood to play a new game.

Watching my way through Star Trek for the first time too. Got done with the original series shortly before Christmas, almost skipped the movies but very glad I didn’t because they were very good and continue the story. It’s a bit jarring seeing all those actors rapidly age before my eyes from binging that show/movies. Half of them are dead now too. I have started on TNG, on season 2 episode 8 now. Really looking forward to the Borg because of all the hype about them and references I’ve heard over the years.

• gabrielonuris says:

Nier Autotamita seems to be a nice game!

Seriously though, just out of curiosity, which mods do you recommend to play Fallout 4 with? I only played it during a free weekend, and I can see from where the hate comes about, but I’m seriously thinking into buying that game, nonetheless.

• SaintAn says:

I don’t recommend paying money for it since it has the paid mod system. Don’t recommend supporting anything Zeni/Beth these days because of that. Arg.

The mods I recommend to help with the game being shallow and poorly designed are:

Start Me Up.
        Allows you to start with a new story instead of the parent from the past hunting their child story that was horrible for role play and replayability. You can start at many different places all over the wasteland, as many different titles (Raider, Ex-Brotherhood, ex-raider, scavenger, mechanic, explorer, cannibal, farmer, and a bunch of others), you pick your level, your amount of gear, and it removes all dialogue about the original story from the game. The robot companion Codsworth sounds like a crazy malfunctioning robot that thinks you’re his long lost master with that mod, and makes me love him. It’s pretty much mandatory.

Darker Nights.
        Has realistically dark nights. I love dark nights and seeing a light in the distance to explore, or wondering into a group of Brotherhood in power armor with their flashlights on. It also lowers sight range on NPC’s to match each level of darkness.

True Storms.
        Adds a bunch of new weather and old weather improvements. Goes great with Darker Nights.

Fallout 4 Seasons – Grass – Trees – Plants – Snow –
        Choose one of the 4 seasons you want it to be and turn the world into that season. You can easily uninstall it and install another as time passes in game to give the illusion of the seasons changing. They’re very pretty, immersive, and well done.

WET.
        Improves water in the game.

Renvision ENB
        The ENB you use is up to your tastes. There are some other great ones, but I personally love the bright colors of this ENB. They just pop and are very pleasing to look at. If you use the seasons mod this one goes really well with it because it improves all the seasonal colors.

Sim Settlements. Plus its two expansions Industrial Revolution and Rise of the Commonwealth.
        It automates settlers to build from plots you place, or build a whole settlement on their own. They can eventually build the settlement into a huge city on their own. Really cool, but it just had a big new update so it’s a little bit buggy right now. Still fine to use now though.

Better Settlers.
        Randomizes what settlers show up wearing when they join you.

Lowered Weapons.
        Lowers your weapon when you’re not shooting it, just like in shooters.

Unofficial Fallout Patch.
        Because the community has to fix Bethesda’s games. One day Bethesda will charge money for mods like this.

Armorsmith Extended.
        You can equip armor over all clothes now rather than just a select few. It’s really nice.

Killable Children.
        I hate NPC’s being immortal. Sadly it doesn’t add the child killer perk like older Fallout’s did when you killed children that made everyone hate you.

Configurable Power Armor Drain.
        I really love using power armor so I use this.

Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar.
        Really really good new hairstyles for female characters.

Conquest.
        It’s nice if you play in survival mode. Allows you to build camps out in the world, and those camps can be upgraded into new settlement areas.

Salvage Beacons.
        Allows you to put down a dufflebag and store junk in it, then shoot a flair so a settler will come pick it up.

Robot Home Defense.
        Allows you to build robot defenders.

Robot Home Defense Expanded.
        Goes with the normal one and adds crappy cheap robots that have a lower cost than the others, but can’t be repaired.

Shaikujin’s Better Warning for Settlements Being Attacked
        The name says it all. A warning pops up and pauses the game to let you know a settlement is about to be attacked instead of it popping up in the top left and you missing it as usually happens.

Fr4nsson’s Light Tweaks – Fr4nsson’s Light Tweaks V1.6 – Indoor Only
        Changes indoor lighting to be more realistic.

Looks Menu
        So you can use character presets.

A Few Girls Presets Pack
        Not near as many presets as other preset packs, but the qualit of the characters is leaps and bounds above the others. So quality over quantity. I fell in love with this one because of the Ahlam preset that looks a bit like an adult Connie from Steven Universe to me. But I really really love the flaws added to her. Usually peoples presets are flawless barbie doll looking girls and it’s creepy, but this persons presets have flaws and it makes them look incredible to me. I usually play male characters, but Ahlam is just so well done that I have to play as her. Wish I could port her over to Skyrim.

I left some off the list because they’re recommended by some of these mods, so you’ll be led to them.

And look through the top mods on Nexus to find the popular ones.

• gabrielonuris says:

I didn’t expect to get a so in depth description of the mods, thank you very much, friend!

It’s astonishing how Bethesda doesn’t even try to include some features that we have to rely on modders, like the Salvage Beacons (really, that’s a big quality of life improvement, without breaking the immersion).

When you said “A Few Girls Presets Pack” I thought it would be exactly the barbie girls I see on YouTube click baits, I didn’t know there was a normal girl mod (I loved the ones with scars and vitiligo), like you said, I wish it could be ported to Skyrim!

• SaintAn says:

Np, I was trying to stay awake 24 hours to fix my sleeping pattern, so it was something to keep me busy.

• MattM says:

You watched all of ST:TNG season 1? You sir are a braver man than I.

• SaintAn says:

Yeah, it was not a good season. Even worse though is that the actress that played my favorite character in the first season left so they killed off her character. The one from the Mad Max-like world.

10. gabrielonuris says:

Mad Max… I’ve reinstalled Dead Space because I bought the second one during the last sale, and I can’t, for the life of me, remember what the hell happened at the end of the first.

I’m struggling to replay it now, with locked 30 fps (unlocking it is easy, but it turns the environmental physics into a total clusterfuck), so I’ll probably keep driving and searching for gas in the australian wasteland.

GornValim says:

I’ve just installed 2 new games from my insanely huge backlog :

– Star Wars : Knights of the Republic 2 – I remember having a hard time getting into the first episode (I found the first few hours badly paced and I didn’t like the combat system at all), but eventually enjoying it. With the Sith Lords, I’m quite engrossed from the beginning. I like how the story exposition is reduced at a minimum at first, and how the intricacies of the setting and of the consequences of the first episode are slowly revealed via the excellent dialogs.

– Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor : at last I can have a taste at the Nemesis system :) And it’s really good indeed. I’ve just killed an Orc Archer who had the habit to appear out of nowhere each time I was fighting other captains, and who killed me quite a few times. I killed him at last, but I now regret it. He was becoming a real character, whom I loved to hate. I hope he will have a worthy successor !

• juan_h says:

I found KOTOR 2 to be a tremendously frustrating game. I like the tone of the game. I like the dialog and the vocal performances. I like the planet-specific plots. Unfortunately, I hate the villain and the planet-spanning over-plot, which doesn’t make a lick of sense. I tried playing the restored content mod, but–while it certainly made things more dramatic, especially at the end–it didn’t answer any of my fundamental objections.

And yet I have played through the game what must be a half a dozen times over the years. I can’t explain it.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I just finished Shadow of Mordor and it was great. I like Kotor 1 better than Kotor 2, because the first one is more like a Star Wars movie and I’m a sucker for that simplistic good versus evil, epic quest to save the galaxy type of premise. I don’t need the grey morality and problematization of Jedi in my Star Wars that Kotor 2 offers, thank you very much! I like that stuff in The Witcher, although there are fewer Jedi there, heh.

12. juan_h says:

I may be, um, nine years late to the party, but I am finally playing Street Fighter IV. I know that retro-gaming is all the rage right now but I must confess that I have grown a little tired of emulated arcade games from the 90s. While arcade purity has its place, the last few years have given me a hankering for adjustable difficulty levels and a proper training mode. Also, I want to dragon-punch somebody in something like hi-def for once. I still suck at fighting games and SFIV has more and fiddlier systems than I’m used to but I’m having a lot of fun so far.

13. Imbecile says:

Finished Wolfenstein 2, which was great, before bouncing off Stardew valley and continuing tight on with death of the outsider, which I excellent so far.

14. Darth Gangrel says:

After slashing orcs in third person in Shadow of Mordor (it’s so much better than 7/10, more like 8,5/10, as far as I’m concerned link to rockpapershotgun.com), I felt like I needed to change my perspective… on life, (no, not really). Just started playing the FPS Timeshift (another 7/10 game according to RPS, I beg to differ), which seems like the perfect counterpart to third person slashing. Very linear as opposed to the open world of Mordor and much shorter.

It has slow-mo, which is always fun, as well as time stopping and time reversing powers, though they’re mostly only useful for environmental puzzles. To my delight, it also has manual saves, yay!

• welverin says:

I believe Singularity is on that list as well, you might want to give that a try aswell.

You might disgree with its rating as well.

15. TheAngriestHobo says:

It’s all about Endless Space 2 for me. When I picked it up during the Steam winter sale, it was almost an afterthought; as much as I enjoyed Endless Legend, I generally get my strategy fix from Paradox these days. 33 hours in, though, I am happy to admit that I vastly underestimated Amplitude this time around. ES2 takes the EL formula, plugs almost all the holes, spices it up with some brilliant faction design, and throws in an interesting political system to boot.

Also, Horatio may just be my favourite sci-fi race ever. I especially enjoy the benignly-evil aspect of the gameplay; in my last playthrough, I peacefully absorbed a half-dozen systems or so by expanding my influence, and then culled their populations to further refine my own DNA. The few remaining survivors were genetically altered into Horatio to further beautify the galaxy. Now that’s horror.

16. and its man says:

I finished (… I guess) Starseed Pilgrim.
    Yep, I had never played it. I finally did. And it was great. Got a very pleasant Boulder Dash feeling from it. It’s like running away from an amoeba pool.

I’m buried in work at the moment so I’m not even sure I’ll play this weekend, or next week. Maybe I’ll plant fungi and breed mysterious lifeforms in Vilmonic during my breaks.

17. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Harrumph! I shall persist with metro redux for a few more hours.. it runs better on my laptop with 660m than it does on my pc with 970?!?!
    At the mo it’s so so story in between FPS wave shooter with meatless gunplay. The atmosphere may win in the end but let’s see..

18. Dave L. says:

Been playing Dying Light. Leaps and bounds better than Dead Island (no pun intended). Though I feel like DI was a bit more slice-y.

Also will be livestreaming my ongoing attempt to make a VR Homeworld clone for a few hours later today (Saturday. Pacific time. Doing laundry first.)

19. Gomer_Pyle says:

Crypt of the Necrodancer. I got as a Christmas present and I haven’t stopped since. I just completed the second area yesterday so I’ll be trying to complete the third.

20. phrozen64 says:

I just finished the Nonary Games this week which ended with Zero Escape:VLR. Similar to what Katharine is playing. I’m starting ZTD which is the third game in the series, but it’s actually the prequel to Zero Escape:VLR. I kinda wished that I played ZTD before VLR because it’s the correct chronological order. After ZTD, probably Gravity Rush 2 because the online content will be shut down soon.

• malkav11 says:

You’re playing in the intended order. Zero Time Dilemma doesn’t assume you’ve played Virtue’s Last Reward, per se, but it’s certainly richer for having done so.

• Katharine Byrne says:

Trust me, Zero Time Dilemma makes a whole lot more sense if you’ve played VLR first! :)

21. Jonfon says:

Finished War of the Chosen. Basically got bored of being God Mode and just completed it.

Good fun being so stupidly overpowered that taking a Psi on your team weakens it.

Trying to finish Divinity 2 but Arx is so obtuse and feels half baked it’s hard to care. Seems weird that it’s made so many Goty lists which such a terrible finale act.

• malkav11 says:

Well, a lot of people don’t finish games. Especially long games. So final acts are less likely to affect one’s impression than you might think. But also it’s entirely possible those people just like that part more than you do.

22. parsley says:

I’ve been playing Getting Over it with Bennett Foddy after RPS’s recommendation! It’s been fun so far. By which I mean I play it for 15 minutes and then play Zelda and then come back to it.

23. caff says:

I am plunkbatting and rocket leaguering. Also Slay the Spire, which is excellent.

I’m so going to try Warframe for the first time. No idea why I haven’t already played it considering it’s free.

24. Someoldguy says:

I’m finishing off missed achievements in Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Not hugely impressed with the final episode, it seems clumsily put together and unpolished in places, which bears out the reports by some beta testers that what we ended up with differs significantly from the story line they tested (and is considerably shorter).

Quite why, how and when the decision was made to chop out big chunks of content and string together the remainder into what we got may require some investigative journalism. A real shame after the quality of Episode 2, although on balance I’d still recommend the whole thing to anyone who enjoyed LiS. I just hope the promised bonus episode gets their A game, not a half assed effort.

25. celticdr says:

Dead Cells and What Remains of Edith Finch, thanks to RPS for solid recommendations yet again.

Dear Cells is highly addictive, even though I’m not great with fast paced action games and I don’t get a few of the things that pop up in game (like the hanging jars bizzo) I’m still having a whale of a time with it!

26. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Ylands which is super relaxing. It is like Minecraft but so much more. Great fun. Early Accesd but already really interesting.

Also Divinity Original Sin 2 in splitscreen local coop with my wife. Great fun too

27. Morcane says:

Since one of the resolutions I made was to buy less games, I’ve started to look into my backlog and made some progress in Prey – it takes a while to pick up, but it’s really enjoyable.

Besides Prey, it’s more Path of Exile tbh.

Ninja Dodo says:

I am playing Cuphead and Assassin’s Creed Oranges, both stunningly beautiful in completely different ways. (btw Oranges got robbed with only an honourable mention for Visual Art in GDC Choice nominations… sorry, but Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild are not better-looking than this game.)

Cuphead seems manageable so far (world 1), tho indeed difficult, and it’s just a big giant love letter to animation. Great stuff.

Continuing to alternate between playing AC:O and listening to Bob Brier lectures on the history of Egypt, makes a good combo. Like when you’re walking around inside the pyramids it’s interesting knowing who Sneferu was and how he (or his builders) basically iterated on the pyramids until he got a proper one. (link to en.wikipedia.org)

I really like how they built the trance/dream sequence around actual Egyptian mythology and funerary rites, fending off the giant serpent Apep (link to en.wikipedia.org) from a barge even as your heart/soul is in the literal balance… you could totally imagine an ancient Egyptian having a near-death experience somewhat like this. It feels like this game, much more than previous entries respects not just the art and architecture, but also the people and culture of history…

Just left Memphis, now heading to Faiyum. This setting is outstanding.

Risingson says:

I started Gothic 2 NOTR again with no shame using Marvin mode as needed, and getting to the exact same point where I was before. And it is still difficult as hell. And I remembered then going to the Gothic 2 boards, looking for help, and finding all kind of toxic masculinity posts about how it is only difficult for wimps and people that cannot coordinate enough.

I still cannot understand why they punished the expansion with such difficulty spike. You can be at level 5 and struggle with monster bashing because ther are only three kind of monsters you can kill without being completely crushed with a couple of hits unless you kind of cheat with the rocks and tables. Which to me is an awful way to play it.

30. michelangelo says:

I see, that anyone is playing Metal Gear Solid 5 right now, but that won’t stop me from asking about it.

Is that game possible to be played with some other character, then with the main protagonist? Custom made character ideally, for about most of the time of the game. And if yes, is it equally good experience as with Snake (it’s Snake right?), or worse, for some reason?

Also, my thing is a sniper rifle and stealthy sneaking. Perhaps not necessary to kill, or stun the whole map to achieve goals is possible as well? I got an impression, that this playground could offer, what was mentioned. Does it?

PS—I am not playing anything. Again ))
    PPS—Alice: I totally understand your joy from Revengance. Didn’t finish last quick time event boss (maybe the part where I finally should turn on UI), but everything from before was a hell of a ride! Well, except for the story frame of it )) Yet, not as horrible as I expected.

• FelipeCC says:

Its been ages since I played MGSV:PP
      I remember there was indeed a feature that allowed you to choose any soldier from your base to play as. Its on the planning phase before missions selected via iDroid (?) thingie.
      As for the character you create at the beggining, well, he is special. You use him at multiplayer, I believe.
      There is no need to stun the whole map or to murder everyone, but I doubt you can make till the end only by sneaky sneaking.

31. darrrrkvengeance says:

role-played as Hobbits in a LOTR-modded game of Civ 5. built no military units (walls were allowed) and limited my expansion to The Shire and two additional cities. focused on trade and diplomacy and cruised to an easy cultural victory. only had to fend off one attack — from Aragorn! — but his Gondoran armies broke on the famed walls of . . . Tuckborough? versimilitude be damned, it was a fun waste of a weekend. :)

Comment on this story