Metal Gear Survive trailer shows off sneaking and base building

14mgs2

Woooo – there’s a new Metal Gear game coming out next month! Boooo – it’s a zombie survival game. Metal Gear Survive is Konami’s new Metal Gear V spinoff, which swaps shooty men and paramilitary politics for clawy zombies and weird dimensional rifts.

It’s a premise that’s easy to scoff at, and arguably an unimaginative step for the series to take. But you know what? The sneaking, crafting and base building on display in the latest trailer – and a more detailed one from a few weeks back – look compelling enough to make me think that it might be worth giving the game a chance after all.

So yeah, the whole po-faced soldier stuck in zombie hell thing doesn’t really interest me plot-wise. What I can get behind, though, are the new base building mechanics combined with a survivor rescuing version of the staff-recruitment scheme from Metal Gear 5. Designing a fortress and building up a community of survivors sounds like a good time to me. Poking at zombies through a fence doesn’t look like the best of times, but the strategic placement of those fences? Sign me up.

In fairness, the defence placement system looks like it provides more options than that. You can slap down towers to provide sniper spots or to reach otherwise inaccessible rooftops, and there are manned and automated turrets in the mix too.

Clearly though, the best bit from the trailer is when the genero-soldier player character lays down a trap that sends a pursuing zombie horde sliding over a cliff. Look at ’em go!

If you’re after a more detailed and less cinematic-heavy overview, here’s a trailer from a few weeks back.

Metal Gear Survive will release on February 20 in the US and February 22 in Europe.

1. lordcooper says:

It’s rather fitting that the reanimated husk of a series they’ve effectively killed would focus on zombies.

No Kojima, no sale.

• Maxheadroom says:

Fails dismally:
      Konami: See? we knew the Metal Gear franchise was dead. We were right to bin Kojima

Sells by the truck load:
      Konami: See? we knew we didnt need Kojima. We were right to bin him

Either way Konami will spin it to look like the right decision
      Either way, #fuckonami

2. DEspresso says:

With the red Thing on their head the zombies look like chicken, which I quite like =)

3. Erroll the Elder says:

Why do you need to sneak up on a thing with no eyes or ears? Or head. Or whatever.

4. KevinLew says:

My only question is why even bother calling it part of the Metal Gear universe when it clearly doesn’t fit. Why didn’t Konami call it a new IP and just reuse old MG art assets and the Fox Engine?

• Daymare says:

I don’t know anything about marketing whatsoever (I studied Pedagogy and Literature) but I can tell you that it’s because people will rather buy stuff with MGS on it than a new unknown IP.

PS: those are some weird looking penguins in that zombieslide.

• DefinitelyNotHans says:

Because they’re not just cashing in on a well known name, they’re doing it by spending the bare minimum on development costs by throwing together a bunch of unused and recycled assets from a pre-existing game. And yet people still wonder why no one wants to “give this game a fair chance”.

DuncUK says:

Now, admittedly I don’t have any investment in or deep understanding of the MG series having only ever played V, but… I’m not sure how zombies don’t fit into a batshit crazy series like Metal Gear with its man on fire and floating gasmask child thing. In fact now I think of it Metal Gear V did have zombies in several different incarnations. So… how exactly does this not fit?

DuncUK says:

If you watch the second trailer, the voiceover says that this game is set ‘not directly tied to the story in Metal Gear V’ and is ‘an apocryphal story set apart from the main Metal Gear timeline’.

link to youtu.be

The ffort they go to explain this in the trailer is odd though, almost as if they are expecting a backlash.

• Seafoam says:

Saying that “Metal Gear Solid has a bunch of crazy things why wont zombies fit in?” is just comparing apples to oranges.
        Whereas others were made to creatively to fit alongside a serious world this is just a lazy attempt to cash in.

• MauvePeopleEater says:

For all Kojima’s faults, the weirdness in MGS is usually part of a (heavy-handed, overbearing, sometimes really silly) symbolism serving a broader point. I don’t really know what thematic purpose zombies can serve at this point in our culture, except maybe for symbolising how little time was spent on designing the ennemies.

5. modzero says:

I was going to ignore this, but stealing the chair sold me.

• stonetoes says:

I really hope we actually get to place the chair in our base and it doesn’t just end up as “1 unit of plastic resources” or some such, but it seems unlikely.

6. Inquisitor says:

It looks weird. No thanks

• Kushiel says:

Obviously you should hold whatever opinion you like, but “This Metal Gear game looks weird, therefore I shall not buy it” strikes me as incongruous. :)

• Cerulean Shaman says:

Doesn’t look weird to me, just looks flat out bad. We’ll see how it turns out but I ain’t hoping for a miracle.

7. Freud says:

Forcing multiplayer to access stronger stuff in a primarily single player game is a massive turnoff for me.

8. Kodaemon says:

These days, buying a Konami game basically means that you’re knowingly supporting organised crime, blackmail and extortion.

• ColonelFlanders says:

I think we should all buy baseball bat’s, go round there and smash things until they give kojima the rights to MGS. It hurts to see what’s happening to this series, and i wish I could have seen what V could have been if HK actually had some fucking latitude.

• merbert says:

Same thing as using the U.S. Dollar really.

• Baines says:

To be fair, while it has long been rumored that Konami, and particularly its CEO, are connected with the yakuza, I don’t believe it has ever been proven. (There just happens to be various circumstantial evidence and claims.)

Though you could just be referring to Konami’s treatment of its own employees.

9. DefinitelyNotHans says:

I can’t believe there are still people that are dumb enough to support this garbage.

10. Quite So says:

Actually looking forward to this game. I like survival games generally, and the base building/crafting in this game looks interesting.

Also, not all that upset about Kojima being gone. While I agree that he’s a genius game designer, as a story teller I think he’s a self-indulgent hack. I don’t expect any future MGS games (if there are any) to be any good, but since this is built on the bones of 5 it should still have the precision of control that I like from his games.

11. Meat Circus says:

Fuckonami?

Fuckonami.

12. Blad the impaler says:

Konami is in the relegation bracket for me now. If it keeps this up it’s going the way of UBI and EA. I have never before seen a big-budget title kneecapped as hard as MGSV. It was almost sickening.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Blad.. I am yet to play msg5 but have heard mostly positive things.. what is the ‘kneecapping’ you refer to.?

• poliovaccine says:

I could be wrong, but I think it’s to do with how the game didn’t get to tell its actual story because they didn’t have the resources and time, via Konami, to make it happen – and so the story ends in a way that makes you say, Wait, really? That was it??

I could be way off the mark here, but if someone refers to Konami kneecapping MGS, that’s what first springs to mind for me.

13. Plunkbat Oranges says:

Say what you will, but I appreciate the fact that the Fox Engine is still being used so that those of us with potatoes for laptops can still get involved.

14. TheSplund says:

I’m definitely undecided. I initially saw base building and zombies and thought “ah, the modern, shallow, way of SP gaming’ but there’s some interesting stuff going on and it’s not all tower defence. Definitely one notn to rush in on, but I will be watching for some more info on the story after launch and the all-important price cut.

15. Sard says:

Estimated time till battle royalle mode 23 days 8 hours. Which means we get plunkbutt with MGS5 gameplay. I’m interested.

16. Synesthesia says:

haha, no, konami.
    Are they just publishing a trailer once a month to see if they’ll ever get anything other than hate or vitriol from mgs fans? Fuck ’em.

17. Kinsky says:

Goddamn this game looks bad. And if you’re one of the people saying “I expected this to be terrible but it actually looks like a functional video game” congratulations, you’re a mark.

• merbert says:

You couldn’t be more wrong Kinsey.

My brother said “I expected this to be terrible but it actually looks like a functional video game” and he’s a Dave.

18. KastaRules says:

Those are some of the ugliest (unicorn) zombies I have ever seen.

Comment on this story