Rebellion buys Oliver Twins studio Radiant Worlds

Rebellion, the makers of Sniper Elite (not to mention the owners of the comic 2000 AD), have expanded their business portfolio once more. It’s bound in black leather with red contrast stitching, has built-in pen holder and a cartridge pouch, and… oh, yes, they’ve bought Radiant Worlds. That studio name might not be familiar, as they’d only worked on a doomed Minecraftbut MMO named SkySaga: Infinite Isles, but you might know two of the names behind the studio: Andrew and Philip Oliver. You know, the Oliver Twins, them lads in the ’80s UK games scene who span an egg so hard it became Dizzy. Well, now Radiant Worlds is part of Rebellion and working on Rebellion’s games.

Radiant Worlds announced SkySaga in November 2014 and did soon let players into an invitation-only alpha but, in August 2017 shortly before the open beta launch, publishers Smilegate put the game on indefinite hold. Seeing as that was Radiant’s only game, they’ve been in a sticky situation. While they haven’t brought SkySaga with them, they are at least safe now.

Rebellion announced today that they have snapped up Radiant Worlds “for an undisclosed sum” (paid in eggs, I assume) and welcome the studio and its 70 members, Olivers included, into the family as Rebellion Warwick. That pushes Rebellion past 300 people across three studios, which is really quite large for the UK.

Radiant are now helping with games Rebellion already have on the go, such as the cooperative pulp ’em up shooter Strange Brigade.

I’m a little ill right now, and in my funk I see Dizzy the egg being shot by a slow-mo Sniper Elite bullet. It crackes through the shell, pierces the membranes, bursts the air cell, ripples through the albumen, and–will it? will it?–just nicks the yolk, leaving a swirl of yellow as the bullet punches out the other side. Get well soon, me.

1. ZIGS says:

Can’t wait for more Sniper Elite 2 reskins…

Mungrul says:

Egg?!?
    EGG!!!

3. MrBehemoth says:

I think the world is ready for a Dizzy reboot. Think of The Cave, but done right, by way of PlayDead, with some NITW storytelling. And egg people.

• Canazza says:

They tried to kickstart a new Dizzy game a few years back but totally failed to get anywhere near the goal.

Only kickstarted I ever backed… I got a nice PDF of their concept art out of it though.

• Diziet Sma says:

The ZX Spectrum Next is getting one, hopefully, called Wonderful Dizzy. I hope the Rebellion acquisition doesn’t affect this plan, though it’s only directed by them and not coded by them.

4. pookie101 says:

My actually reaction to this article followed went exactly like this:

“Why am I reading this, I’ve never heard of the Studio and I don’t care”

“Who are the Oliver twin’s… Hang on that sounds vaguely familiar”

*Squeals out loud* “THEY MADE DIZZY!!”

5. Bombuzal says:

Weren’t Rebellion responsible for the reboot “Battlezone 98 Redux”?

Also Alien Vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar. Awesome game back in 1994.

That screenshot at the top reminded me strongly of Cubeworld. But I’ll never know what it is as it has one of RPS’s awesome ALT/TITLE tags.

• Waltorious says:

If you read the article, you will learn that the screenshot is from “a doomed Minecraftbut MMO named SkySaga: Infinite Isles”, which never got released and was the only game Radiant Worlds were working on before being purchased by Rebellion.

6. Malcolm says:

They probably funded it with the amount of cash I’m giving them as I work my way through the complete Judge Dredd case files.

7. galken says:

Thank you for your sharing. Thanks to this article I can learn more things. Expand your knowledge and abilities. Actually the article is very practical. Thank you!
    happy wheels

8. galken says:

Thanks for your sharing. Hope you can contribute more quality posts to this page. Thank you!
    color switch

9. machineisbored says:

When are we going to get some decent games based on 2000AD properties? Maybe a Strontium Dog RPG, or something with Nemesis the Warlock/ABC Warriors, please.

Comment on this story