Final Fantasy XII coming to PC on February 1st

With the pace Square Enix are slinging old console Final Fantasy games at PC, we’re almost caught up in time for Final Fantasy XV hitting in a few months. Before then, though, Squeenix are filling in one big game: Final Fantasy XII. Today they announced that Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, the recent PlayStation 4 revamp of the PS2 RPG, will come over to PC on February 1st. Our version will be just a little bit fancier too, adding support for niche novelties like putting three 21:9 ultra-wide monitors side-by-side to drown yourself in the game.

Released on PlayStation 2 in 2006, Final Fantasy XII is an RPG about warring kingdoms, a princess, rebels, an airship, chocobos, and moogles, if you can believe such a thing.

Today’s announcement has made several people within my line of sight start talking excitedly about its ‘gambits’ (which I believe are like Dragon Age’s tactics, little behaviours you can program for characters?) and fast-forwarding through grind, which I take to mean this port is welcome.

As for what’s special on PC, Squeenix blast this feature list:

• 60FPS – Ivalice will look better than ever with the game running at 60FPS
  • Compatible with 21:9 ultra-wide monitors – Up to three HD monitors can be used for a potential 48(16×3):9 experience
  • New Game Plus and New Game Minus – Post-game content modes are now accessible from the beginning of the game
  • Three background music options – The original, re-orchestrated and soundtrack versions are now available from the beginning of the game
  • Maximized License Points and Gil – New functionality added to grant players max License Points and Gil from the configuration screen
  • Full controller support, Steam Trading Cards and more to optimize the PC player experience

Looking through screenshots of the new version on Steam, my eyes were overwhelmed by the exaggerated detailing on everything. It is a little uncomfortable to look at, with so many things fighting for attention. Turns out, good ol’ Robert Yang also griped about the updated textures when the game hit PS4. Seeing his direct comparisons, oof, yeah, the increased contrast and oversharpness makes for a different style all right and I am not into it. It’s so loud.

Anyway! It is good news that the game is coming to PC, judging by the arm-waving I can see right now. Here’s a trailer from the PS4 version:

1. Longestsprout says:

Jackpot. Nothing else to say.

• aepervius says:

I am highly excited. I like FF12 better than any others. I played it about 5 times on PS2, then I had to give that up… It is probably an insta-buy for me.

2. HiroTheProtagonist says:

I’m betting that Day 1/2 will see a mod to identify the chests you’re not supposed to open to unlock the Zodiac Spear.

• RedViv says:

This version is based on the Zodiac System re-release, so the whole chest stuff is removed anyway. It’s either a random drop in a chest in Henne Mines now, or you can get it as the top tier purchase from the Hunt Club side quest.

• arienette says:

Unlikely, this version doesn’t do that with the Zodiac spear.

• SaintAn says:

I can’t tell if this is code fore nude mods or not…

3. Kamestos says:

Awesome. No price ?

4. Orillion says:

Denuvo, though. Because I guess we just can’t have nice things.

• SaintAn says:

Even worse is it will be cracked in a few hours.

• rmsgrey says:

Yeah, it’s dropped from a day one purchase to a “maybe in an eventual sale” for me.

5. aliksy says:

Is it going to have fast-forward and save state like an emulator would? If not, I’d rather they just sell a ps2 emulator. I’d rather have old graphics and convenience.

6. Spuzzell says:

Excellent.

In order of descending top holeness it goes:

1: FF IX
    2: FF VI
    3: FF XII

I will die on this hill.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Definitely with you on IX, but I’ll fight and kill you over the other two. I hate to say it, but mechanically X is my number two. And my number three goes to VII, not least because it was the first game I ever played of the scale, and because the PS1 was still so new I couldn’t do anything but marvel, slack jawed and dribbling, at the ‘amazing’ environments, adult (for my 8 year old brain) dialog and ridiculously convoluted storyline. It’s definitely fair to say that my nostalgia is shielding me from the terrible fact that FFVII is quite crap, but what I’m love with is the feeling of playing it, not the actual gameplay itself.

Those were the fuckin days man.

• Spuzzell says:

X is 5th with VII 4th.

I couldn’t get over Sin as the monster not actually being anything to do with the concept of sin, it just hurt my brain.

I replayed the SNES version of FFVI recently on my RetroPie and it’s just ace, so I shall meet you on the killing fields at dawn to settle this.

You have weapon choice but I’m assuming it’ll be swords the size of really big swords.

• Cropduster says:

Agreed with you on 10, they really did something special with turn based combat after so many years of ATB.

Those post-game bosses like dark bahamut and peneance were so hard and fast paced, some of the only truely nail biting fights I’ve played in a jrpg.

7. DantronLesotho says:

Final-ly!

8. Dugular says:

Just a question: Why is Alice writing this article if there are people (assuming other RPS staff) in her line of sight that actually know the game?

9. ColonelFlanders says:

Winner, this is a corker of a game. Now all of my fave Final Fantasies(ys?) will be on PC!

10. fnLandShark says:

Well, now we know why FFXV is taking so long…..
    At this rate, we’ll be getting an HD remake of Final Fantasy Adventure before we get to play FFXV.

• SaintAn says:

I played FFXV, we’re better off not getting it at all on PC. They need to bring over FFT WOTL instead.

11. S Jay says:

The only Final Fantasy I ever enjoyed was Tactics. I just can’t handle the RPG proper. I tried a few and always ended up quitting after a couple of hours.

12. DarkFenix says:

Can’t say I share people’s excitement over this one. This was the first point at which it became as much about watching the game play itself as playing it yourself, and the ‘protagonist’ was as annoying as he was completely irrelevant to the actual story. Not that they’ve ever been any good at writing protagonists, but this was a low even by their rock bottom standards.

• DanMan says:

Didn’t like this one either. It feelt like a MMO to me and I eventually hit a wall where I couldn’t get past a boss (which are a lot more difficult to beat than the general enemies leading up to them btw.) unless I grind out XP. So I abandoned it. It’s dragging along the rest of the time, too.

• siliciferous says:

That is a totally valid complaint, there. What is sorta funny is that I quite like the game because of that very reason. You’re not really playing the hero, you’re always consistently one step behind them, and I personally found that very refreshing.

13. racccoon says:

I’m getting it & have been long awaiting it.
    I just hope the port isn’t a dam port and its adapted properly for the PC! that’s my only bad thought on it. lets hope its ok, its all we can do is hope..:)

14. Cropduster says:

Despite it’s flaws, I’m pretty fond of this one. It’s a cool world full of stuff to see and do, and you’re free to just explore it.

Somewhat mmo-like I guess, but imo it was a better template for FF going forwards than the 13s, which were more or less unplayable for me.