Space Invaders Extreme takes the classic shooter clubbing next month

Space Invaders Extreme

Space Invaders Extreme might be late to the party, but it still knows how to please a crowd. Originally released for the Nintendo DS back in 2008 and eventually updated and remixed on the Xbox 360, it puts a music-synced, beat-heavy spin on the shmup genre progenitor, and it’s coming to PC next month.

Shmup-loving publisher Degica are following up the release of Extreme with an oddball accompanying act; the PC debut of Groove Coaster, a one-button iOS and arcade rhythm game with trance-y visuals and a variety of bass-heavy remixes of Taito arcade classic tracks.

While it’s not entirely clear which version of Space Invaders Extreme is getting the porting treatment to PC, I’m holding out hope that it’s the oft-spectacular 360 edition of the game for one special reason: That version includes some collaborative work from scruffy sheep aficionado and demigod of synaesthesia Jeff Minter. Best played with the lights off, on a big TV, and with the sound cranked up as high as your neighbors will allow.

Don’t be put off by the dense UI on the game and swirling backgrounds. This is still Space Invaders, and while there are some tricks to keeping up a consistently high score, for the most part it’s familiar ‘move left, move right, shoot’ stuff. Extreme is also less difficult than the original arcade classic too, given that it’s more focused on delivering a smooth and satisfying clubland experience, with every sound and explosion getting synced to the pulsing beat.

Degica’s surprise second release is going to be a PC port of Groove Coaster, a simple but similarly stylish rhythm game released to arcades and iOS, although I gather that the servers behind the mobile version have since shut down, preventing it from being played. You can get a little peek at what to expect from this footage captured by YouTuber ‘The UnknownSwag’ showing off the Arkanoid Vs Space Invaders track, featuring some pleasingly Pendulum-like drum & bass beats in the latter half.

No price for either game has been announced, but they’re both due for release next month, with Space Invaders Extreme having a Steam store page up already.

1. darkhog says:

My favorite Space Invaders game isn’t even an official one, it’s a freeware title called Rescue From Space Invaders. Unfortunately it’s a little hard to get it running nowadays, mainly because the installer the developer used is partially 16-bit (it was game originally designed for Win9x/ME) and the game runs in 640×480 resolution, 256 colors.

2. Movac says:

Oh rad, I loved Extreme on DS! I’d really like to see this followed up with Infinity Gene, the evolution-themed Space Invaders with an almost Rez-like wireframe style.

3. jj2112 says:

Ah. I remember when this came out in the arcades… Then they applied colored strips on the screen to create the illusion of color… Anyways, I’m off to take my meds

4. nakami says:

it also came out on psp!
    that’s where i enjoyed it.
    looking forward to the pc release.

syllopsium says:

Looks pretty, but I hope the PC release is more like the DS version than the 360 – looks much more fun. Space Invaders Extreme 2 seems like a large improvement over the original, too.

Oh look, you can buy SIE 1&2 DS on ebay for twenty quid. I fancy a bit of on the move shooting. *clickety*.

I loved Big Bang Mini on the DS too, it has some unusual shmups on there.

6. Uncle Fass says:

Bayonetta, Vanquish, FF series, Okami, DMC HD, now this – really happy with this recent trend of (good) PC ports from Japanese devs!

Can anyone tell me which game actually kickstarted this? I feel like it was Metal Gear Rising on PC that really got this going but I may be wrong.

Also, if it is the X360 version of Space Invaders getting ported, hopefully they actually correctly bring over the visual effects that work with the music. I remember Space Giraffe’s PC port lacking the levels where the stage would pulsate to the beat of the music like it did on X360. If it’s the same tech Minter used on that game, then here’s hoping!

• Dominic Tarason says:

Much further back – the trend really changed when Capcom stopped outsourcing their ports. From Devil May Cry 4 and onwards, the PC version of just about all of their games has been the definitive edition.

7. racccoon says:

Forgot to post the other day, this game does no justice at all to the original Space Invaders game which was one of the best for that time! 20p lasted me ages & ages plus a few pints & god knows what! :)