Assassin’s Creed Origins adds new quest leading into next week’s paid DLC

Now that everyone’s had a few months to wander and stab around Ancient Egypt in Assassin’s Creed Origins, Ubisoft are ready to share new sights and new murders. Today they announced the first paid expansion, named The Hidden Ones and set four years after events of the main story, will launch next Tuesday, January 23rd. While you’re drawing daggers in your calendar (bonus points: use a red pen for cool blood drops), you can also note that the educational sightseeing Discovery Tour mode will arrive on February 20th, then the second big story DLC on March 6th. Before all that, a new quest that’s a prelude to The Hidden Ones hits the game for free in a patch today.

So, DLC! The Hidden Ones will send the fledgling murderclub into Sinai to scrap with the Romans, also bringing new weapons, outfits, and mounts, as well as a level cap boost to 45. Then in March, The Curse of the Pharaohs will be weirder. It explores another new region, Thebes, and brings more weapons, levels, and whatnot, but tells quite a different story. Ubisoft explain, “The Curse of the Pharaohs focuses on Egyptian mythology, pitting players against famous pharaohs and Egyptian beasts, as they investigate the cause of the curse that has brought the dead pharaohs back to life.” Right you are then.

The season pass costs £35/€40/$40, which seems expensive to me but it’s your money. That includes some other cosmetic odds and ends too.

Discovery Tour is an interesting addition, and that one will be free. It offers guided tours and lessons from proper people who do history for a job, and will also have a free roam mode letting players explore without having to stab or be stabbed. A few other free bits and bobs are coming too.

Hit the version 1.2.0 patch notes for more details on today’s update.

What’s Asscreedo like anyway? Check out our Assassin’s Creed Origins review for the official word, though our John will tell you that it’s just “fine” even as he gets distracted by taking photos and swimming.

1. Carra says:

I’m 23 hours into the game and I’m enjoying myself. Still, I’ve reached the last main story quest and I’ll be glad to finish the game this weekend. And no, I have no interest in a season pass. Half my map is still greyed out. If you want to, there’s a ton of content in there already. Me? My backlog is huge so I’ll move on to the next game.

• welverin says:

Hah, I’ve played ten to fifteen hours more than you and I have no idea how far along I am in the story. I doubt I’m any where near the end however.

• Creeping Death says:

43 hours in here, not yet finished act 3 (of 5) and probably about half the map still to explore. I’m being VERY thorough. This is the most fun I’ve had with an open world game since Witcher 3

• Carra says:

Reminds me of Fallout 4. I spent 200 hours in that game, discovering pretty much the entire map. And then spend some more time doing the DLC.

Assassins Creed is fun but for me, it doesn’t click quite like Fallout does.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’ve played 50+ hours and I’ve only just arrived at Crocodilopolis. I just *adore* the setting. And the side missions are quite interesting if you care at all about Egyptian history and culture.

Ninja Dodo says:

It’s hard to describe exactly what makes work… Previous AC games, while they were gorgeously put together and did a lot of things right, felt like they kind of treated the people and events of their chosen settings like history bingo. I remember a throwaway mission in AC Unity where you are tasked with retrieving rubbings of the Rosetta Stone for Jean François Champollion because they supposedly contain information on the Assassins and I just groaned and went: “That’s not what it says on the Rosetta Stone!”

Whereas here, (while I’m no expert) though there is artistic license it really feels like they are respecting the details of history much more… Mechanically the missions are not THAT different from earlier entries (kill target, find object, defend ally, etc) but the stories they tell is completely unique to the setting and actually explore what made ancient Egypt different from other cultures. There’s a small mission where you retrieve the Book of the Dead for a dying man, not because it contains more clues about Templars and Assassins, but because he’s worried he won’t be able to find his way in the afterlife. I love the specificity of that.

Clearly the ancient conspiracies and strange artifacts are not completely gone from the series but it’s much more elegant and understated here (so far). I really like it.

• Carra says:

I arrived there at the ~20 hours mark. And my level was appropriate for the Crocopolis zone.

Aren’t you outleveling the zone completely if you’re 50 hours in? I abandoned a lot of content as my level far outweighted the zone I was in.

Ninja Dodo says:

Nah, I’m only 3 or 4 points overleveled. Mostly just enjoying the scenery and never using fast travel. I do side missions, but not all of them and I don’t go out of my way to fight NPCs I don’t have a grievance with (eg leaving most soldier camps untouched unless provoked), playing on Hard mode.

Worst-case I can always switch on level scaling if it gets too easy, but I’m not playing it for intense combat challenge.

Ninja Dodo says:

Also (what may be adding to my playtime) I sometimes walk or sail slowly on purpose when it seems role-playing appropriate. Running everywhere seems a bit strange and the boats especially have a top-speed that is a little too… unrealistic.

That, and Photo Mode.

• Jaykera says:

I’m with you on this. I have played around 40 hours, finished the game and enjoyed it a lot but I feel like I saw what had to be seen.

If I ever come back to it I have a lot of quests left.

2. Zenicetus says:

I haven’t heard that they’re expanding the skill tree along with the raised level cap, which is a little disappointing if true. That was something CDPR did with the Witcher 3 expansions, and it made the level increase meaningful.

I’m at the current level 40 cap, puttering around the end game without quite finishing the last of the story. There are still pseudo-level increases with XP that provides skill points, but I’ve run out of places I care about putting points in the skill tree. I have a few favorite skills and the rest don’t interest me, so I’ve just been putting points in the 1% stabbiness increases. Apparently the main reason for expanding the level cap, is so there will be level 40-45 enemies to fight.

tl;dr: I hope they expand the skill tree a little with these upcoming DLC’s.

• Blastaz says:

I think they are meant to be expanding the skill tree with the second dlc pack, just the level cap with the first.

Proving that the level cap just serves to gate content and drive the economy by making you get new/pay to upgrade old gear.

• welverin says:

Excluding dumping points into the +1 bonus skills, are there enough points to buy everything else? If you can’t afford everything already in the game I can do without anything new.

• Zenicetus says:

A difference in RPG philosophy, I guess. I like the way the expansions for Witcher 3 let me further refine the path I had chosen for skills, going deeper and ignoring the alternatives. IIRC, it wasn’t possible to max out everything; you had to make choices. And choices are what a good RPG is all about.

Yeah, there are probably enough points with extended XP at level 40 in AC Origins to fill out all the skills, if you’re a completionist and do all the side quests and discoveries. But that doesn’t mean anything to me if I’m not using those skills. For example, I only use the long-range assassination bow, whatever that’s called. I don’t care about throwing points into the other two bow types, because I never use ’em.

3. welverin says:

EGM mentioned this is their post up the upcoming dlc:

Discovery Tour—you know, the previously announced combat-free mode that will include daily tours of ancient Egypt curated by historians—will launch on February 20th. Players who already own Origins will receive Discovery Tour as a free update, while players who don’t own the game can purchase a standalone version of Discovery Tour for $19.99 on PC.

An interesting option for the people just interesting sightseeing.

p.s. For any such people, pyramid surfing is fun, give it a try.

4. ruaidhri.k says:

Im 48 hours and at least 200 crashes to desktop into this blasted thing. I just like wandering around with my stupid camel and getting into scrapes whilst doing tourism. Its more enjoyable than it has any right to be..

5. shagen454 says:

I’m actually quite interested in an expansion or at least the DLCs. So far, I have 37 hours into the game, it says that I have 65% game progression and traveled 340400 meters or 211 miles. No Assassin’s Creed game ever captured my attention like this one and looking forward to all of the rest of the content that is possible to sink into.

One of my favorite features of this game is the looting system. I don’t know about you guys and gals but I am sick as fuck of looting but the way Origins does it is so smooth. You can generally feel the areas that probably have bags to loot… no need to open each god damn sack and click on the one item you want out of a bunch of trash – just tap once or multiple times and bling, bling bling (nice dusty gold animation) and you got some new shinies….

6. Screaming_Meat says: