The Foxer

Warm-up Foxer (Where am I?)

I’m 100 metres from a road that shares its name with a Roman god. I’m in a country named after an Italian. A town once stood on this spot. One nearby sign informs me that visitors should use the left lane and check in at the security station. Another warns that “cell phone use is prohibited while operating vehicles on ********* property”. In 2013 a record-breaking geological event occurred a couple of miles from here.  I’m at a higher latitude than Beijing, and a lower one than Istanbul. The nearest city is twinned with Sarajevo. This location has a lexical link with a French helicopter and a popular piece of British classical music.

Feature Foxer

This enlargeable collage has a hidden theme. Decrypt the cryptic clues to flush it out.

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s warm-up foxer: I was here (defoxed by Gusdownnup)

Last week’s geofoxer theme: Star Wars (defoxed by AbyssUK)

a Imperial War Museum, London (phuzz)
b Millennium Park, Chicago (Matchstick)
c Sabre gate guard, Harrison Avenue, Bert Mooney Airport, Montana (AFKAMC, Gothnak, AbyssUK)
d Grand Canyon Skywalk (mrpier)
e Jawa motorcycle museum, CZ (AbyssUK)
f Solo bus, Bath (phuzz, AbyssUK)
g ‘Trench of Death’, Flanders (phuzz, mrpier)
h Crown Princess, Vancouver (Rorschach617, Teek)
i Wookey, Somerset (AbyssUK)
j Hotel Sidi Driss, Tunisia (chuckieegg)
k Guinness mural, Treehouse pub, Cleveland (Matchstick, AbyssUK)
l Korolev R-2 rocket, Moscow (phuzz)

1. Gothnak says:

After fighting with the RPS login system every time i try to comment…

Bottom Left Phoenix Wright.

2. Artiforg says:

Rooster in the bottom right corner looks like Allan-a-Dale from the Disney Robin Hood film.

3. Little_Crow says:

Boardgame at the bottom left is apparently Suffragetto.
    A board game from 1909 about clashes between the Police and Suffragettes

4. Stugle says:

Are the lines of text from the riot RTS Tim covered recently? I forgot its name… (Duh, it’s called ‘Riot’)

5. Gothnak says:

Top right is a photo of what i presume is a cloud of starlings near an electricity pylon :p.

6. Gothnak says:

I’m going to say the link is the Brown Dog Affair:

link to en.wikipedia.org

Ernest STARLING, Henry DALE, there was a RIOT involving SUFFRAGETTES.

7. AFKAMC says:

Top right is I think an Arado Ar 232 Tausendfüßler (German: “Millipede”).

• AFKAMC says:

I’ve been trying to work out how millipedes fit into the Brown Dog affair – I think it’s actually the “Ar 232” bit. From the inscription on the original statue:

“Also in Memory of the 232 dogs Vivisected at the same place during the year 1902.”

8. Stugle says:

Warm-up: we’re in America, I suppose. That’s all I’ve got so far.

9. mrpier says:

Swedish fifty kronor bill on the right.

Swedish infiltrators in the brown dog affair.

10. Gothnak says:

Top left is what looks like a WW1 computer game (I can see zeppelins & biplanes and i assume a trench layout) from the 8bit era. Maybe a BBC B or Spectrum?

It looks really familiar to me.

11. Gothnak says:

Also no idea on the game that covers pretty much the whole screen. Looks like the Rise of The Triads era, but with a zombie like human in it.

What’s the creature on the gyrocoptor thing, and the aircraft tail on the left?

Comment on this story