Obsidian’s Pillars Of Eternity 2 rises in April

Here, check this out, I’ve got a joke: you won’t need to wait an eternity for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, as developers Obsidian have announced they will release it on April 3rd. Wordplay. I only recently found out about ‘jokes’ but I’m very into them. I’m told it’s good if jokes also tell a truth, so the truth is: the fantasy RPG sequel really is due on April 3rd. I don’t want to boast, but I think I’m crushing it. A joke for the ages.

Pillars of Eternity II is a crowdfunded sequel to Obsidian’s also-crowdfunded 2015 RPG, getting deep into a revival of their olde RPGe wayes. John’s Pillars of Eternity review will tell you the first game’s a cracker, so more is certainly welcome.

Deadfire will cost £33/$50 when it hits Steam and GOG on April 3rd for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

We’ve not played the sequel yet ourselves, but Rick Lane did have a good chat with Obsidian about recapturing the style and tone of ye olde Infinity Engine RPGs. More importantly, as game director Josh Sawyer shows, Deadfire has many cats.

I am glad that Obisidian are getting to do this again but ah, I do wish it somehow led to the fine real-time conversations and secret agent shenanigans of their more Alpha Protocol.

1. Booker says:

I’m not surprised it doesn’t lead to their Alpha Protocol conversations, since no one bought this game. NO ONE.

I can’t wait for Pillars 2 btw. Dying here.

2. criskywalker says:

Heck, I haven’t even finished the first one, nevermind the expansion packs. So much backlog… It’s great to know this game exists though. I will play it… Someday!

3. DarkFenix says:

I found Pillars 1 extremely mediocre from a mechanical standpoint. And I’m finding myself unable to remember a single thing about the storyline or characters either, so apparently I found those dull too.

• PineMaple says:

Not sure when you played it but the updates did a lot to improve the combat and mechanics. The changes made some of the Endless Dungeon feel a lot better, and the encounters they added in the White March expansions were superb (particularly White March Pt 2). I’m still not a huge fan of the ruleset but it feels a lot nicer than it did at release.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Same here, obscure mechanics, empty world compared to the Baldurs’s Gates and most of the NPCs featured nonsense filler stories from backers. Wonder who read those.
      But production qualities were there and it was a decent game compared to the industry average so maybe the next one becomes even better who knows.

• Someoldguy says:

Once they changed it so that backer npcs were obvious and you knew not to click on them, things improved a lot. That was one kickstarter backer idea that I don’t expect them to ever repeat.

tigerfort says:

Dear Alice: If you like jokes and wordplay, wait until you hear about “Puns”, the latest invention from the RPS comment section, cleverly combining the two things in ways Horace has bearly thought of!

5. Lars Westergren says:

I invested via Fig, so I have two good reasons for hoping this is a really good game that sells well.

I like the old-school feel of PoE a lot. But I would like it even more if they did something a bit more adventurous again with setting or gameplay, like Tyranny, or yes, Alpha Protocol.

Aerothorn says:

Me too!

Everyone please buy this game, because A) it will probably be great, B) I have money on the line, C) if it’s succesful and the investors actually walk away with cash then the tiresome conspiracy-constructing Fig-haters will be at least a little bit quieter for a while, maybe?

• csbear says:

Really enjoyed the first one. Yes, there were some design issues I felt, but I was immersed throughout. I did have White March 1,2.

Bought PoE2 through Fig as well. Hoping this sells well and carries on the momentum DOS2 has gathered. But I am a little worried after lackluster sales by Tyranny and TToN. TToN’s verbosity probably scared many, so probably not an apt comparison to PoE2. Regardless, the industry for these types of old-school fantasy RPGs, with their modern touches, needs the mid-sized companies like Obsidian and Larian to sustain itself.

6. HiroTheProtagonist says:

I think it needs more cats.

7. milligna says:

Josh Sawyer’s balance-em-up, surely?

8. onodera says:

And that’s what I want Dragon Age 4 to be like.

9. Ghostwise says:

KITTIES !

10. Hyena Grin says:

Crap, that gives me almost no time to start and finish PoE1 and its expansions. =I

I bought it ages ago, and it’s been on the list of things-to-actually-play for a long time, but there’s been so many games that the expected rainy day that would warrant a huge game like PoE hasn’t come.

I should really just get on with it.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

If you didn’t start playing PoE when it came out in 2015, I don’t really see why you need to rush to play PoE2 when it comes out in 2018.

11. Snargelfargen says:

Going to wait for reviews to see what direction they take the game in. I REALLY wanted to like PoE, but some of the combat mechanics were ridiculously obtuse and overcomplicated. Why on earth were there so many similiar status effects? (Dazed, distracted, disoriented, hobbled, stuck, frightened, terrrified, weakened, maimed and the list goes on…) Also, the way buffs stacked or didn’t stack was mysterious to say the least.
    I love the Baldur’s Gate games which have similiarly bizarre mechanics, but I freely admit that may be pure nostalgia.

The plot in PoE never grabbed me either, but I expect #2 will be better in that respect now that they have gotten the world-building exposition out of the way. The npc writing was already excellent.

FesterSilently says:

Jumped in here to agree with you: I am a *big* fan of Bioware/Interplay/Black Isle games, from *way* back (rosy glasses possible), and have played countless iterations/modded versions of same (Baldur’s Gate mod for NWN2, for instance…*twice*), and have sunk countless hours into their recent kin (Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2), but…

…I simply *have not* been grabbed by Pillars of Eternity (I even purchased both a Steam copy *and* a GOG copy, because I want to support these guys & love those old games so much), though I have started the game…three?…four?…times now, and have sunk 8-9 hours into it, I simply haven’t gotten over whatever hurdle exists (likely in my wee head) to actually LOVE the game.

And I am sad.

Meanwhile, I have broken the 110-hour mark in D: OS 2 and am still in act 2 (Driftwood area), loving nearly *everything* about the time spent, and am genuinely concerned that it may have spoiled me for all the (amazing, wonderful CRPG) games that have come before it. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I am loving the *shit* out of this game, and it’s sucking me in in a way that a CRPG (or *any* game, really) hasn’t in *years*.

Having said all that, I’m’a definitely be buying a copy or two of Pillars 2, if only to support the dream. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Nolenthar says:

I enjoyed POE but it definitely took me a bit of self discipline to keep up at first. The first time I played, I stopped after a couple of hours, but the second time I managed to get through it and the story kept me in. Though I have to admit that the game suffered from me having played Divinity Original Sin before because the gameplay in DOS is epic, so in comparison POE was forgettable. There were a lot of “filler” fight (boring trash fight) and some very painful fights (overly hard fight compared to the rest of the game). Though eventually, it was a good game.

Though, it was before and this is now. Divinity Original Sin 2 has been released and this game is the best cRPG ever released, hands down. It has cast a shadow on future cRPG as big as The Witcher 3 has cast on any action RPG, and it will be tough for POE2 to shine.

Oh well, I’ll buy it anyway to support them at the very least, and I know I will have a great time, but I don’t expect DOS2 level of great time

• Booker says:

I honestly believe that Pillars and DOS play to a different target audience. Of course there is some overlap, there usually is, but otherwise it’s a different taste.

FesterSilently says:

I don’t know if I wholly agree about “different audiences”, but…I must embarrassedly admit that I am nowhere *near* as meticulous and laser-focused and patient as I was, lo those 15-ish years ago.

I guess I feel like Larian has perhaps *catered* to our (lazy gamer) whims, but…in the best way possible.

• Nolenthar says:

This is a surprising thought. I ought to ask, what makes you feel DOS and POE are aimed at different targets ?

• Booker says:

“what makes you feel DOS and POE are aimed at different targets ?”

Well first, there are a lot of people who only like one of the games and aren’t really into the other… This obviously can only be proof that they cater to different tastes/audiences.

Thereare a lot of differences. Pillars is single player, DOS is desgigned with coop in mind, Pillars is real time with pause combat, DOS is turn based (this alone splits people into entrenched factions).

I could go on all day. But at the end of the day I really loved Pillars and didn’t like DOS. Almost all the people who really loved DOS told me how they didn’t like Pillars or at least thought it was boring.

• Nolenthar says:

Fair point I guess, though everyone I know IRL and who are into these kind of games have loved both, but I can see where you come from.and I’m not going to claim that my personal experiences hold some kind of undeniable truth. Though, I have to say that if DOS was more cool centric, DOS2 feels less like it. Sure, there is space for multiplayer, but I don’t feel I lose anything playing solo.
            Oh well, as far as I am concerned they are both strong cRPG offering, but DOS2 has delivered something genuinely hard to beat. Personal opinion and all.

• Booker says:

“but I freely admit that may be pure nostalgia.”

That is my explanation for why some people don’t like Pillars. They bought it because they loved Baldur’s Gate way back when (and never played it again), but the truth is, that they wouldn’t like Baldur’s Gate, if it was released now. Their taste changed over all those long years.

I played BG I+II only recently and I thought the entire time that they really nailed that experience with Pillars (which is what they promised/aimed for). So… yeah.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Gotta disagree.

Pillars wasn’t bad, per se, but it went up it’s own ass with the philosophic nature of it’s dialogue. I mean, Grieving Mother is the epitome of overly detached abstract nonsense, to give just one example. No one can connect with her on an emotional level; she is simply there to express a bizarrely obtuse point about guilt (and yet she feels no emotion any normal human being would define as “guilt”).

That may come off as more than a little harsh, and perhaps that’s true. However, I feel that it’s incumbent on game devs to create games that the majority of their audience can relate to on an emotional level. That doesn’t mean dumbing down one’s game; it means recognizing our shared experiences and building off of them, rather than creating something that proves the intellectual capacity of the creator while alienating the majority of players. PoE failed at this – it was smart, but inaccessible. If PoE2 is to succeeed, it needs to make an effort to connect with the player base at large. Time will tell if it is capable of that.

• Booker says:

“proves the intellectual capacity of the creator while alienating the majority of players”

I knew there was a reason why I loved this game so much. :P

Comment on this story