Pivot to video games: Facebook getting Twitchier

In its latest flailing attempt to be your sole destination for everything online, Facebook is hoping to become more like Twitch. The social network officially launched its ‘gaming creator pilot program’ for livestreaming on Friday, gabbing about improving video quality and letting more streamers monetise their videos. You know, Twitch stuff, on Facebook. It seems a long-term plan, still feeling out particulars, so it might amount to nothing considering how often Facebook change their minds. Or maybe, years from now, I’ll receive Facebook messages from aunts and uncles complaining about my language and how I never read their tip messages.

Facebook’s vision of livestreamed video games includes adding support for everyone streaming in 1080p at 60fps, which… yep, yep that’d be a fair start. Facebook have a lot of catching-up to do.

They’re also hoping to emulate Twitch by making streaming on Facebook viable as a job. That’s why they call it the gaming creator pilot program. Because ‘creator’ is somehow the ludicrous word we as a culture have accepted for that job.

Facebook gab about “actively exploring” letting people tip creators (see, I’m doing it too) during streams, and how they plan to open this up to more gaming creators. That’s a little limited compared to Twitch, which also has monthly subscriptions to support channels – and regular money is important if creatoring is to be a job.

They also hope to bring creator content (great, now I’m using The Other Other C-Word) across other platforms they own, like Instagram and the Oculus cybergoggles.

This is still all early days, mind. Facebook might devote serious resources to improving gaming stream and my uncle will tip me big bucks to say hi to his dog. Maybe Facebook will provide decent competition to the Amazon’s Twitch and Google’s YouTube, and we can cheer for our own favourite megacorp. Or perhaps Facebook will distracted by something shiny and change this plan in a way that screws over people who followed along.

Were I a creator (alas, I think I’m a ‘blogger’ or ‘mildly informative entertainer’), I would be very wary of relying too much on a platform known to push one approach then ditch that and look for something else. Facebook’s latest turn involves shaking off the publishers who, on Facebook’s own advice and encouragement, had switched to focus on videos. Now Facebook say actually those are actually bad so they’re focusing on promoting Facebook’s own video and streaming services. After the pivot to video comes the pivot to video games.

Don Reba says:

Until the first big moral outrage about games streaming. But those almost never happen, right?

2. Someoldguy says:

If it’s as effective as the news feed preference about who to see first on your feed, I can confidently say it’ll have no noticeable effect. Despite prioritising all my friends I still get their posts anything from 3 hours to 3 days late, while business posts pop to the top the minute they’re posted.

• Masked Dave says:

Interestingly, I only have one or two people set as a favourite and I always see their stuff when it’s just be posted above all else. Maybe more-is-less?

3. HotSoapyBeard says:

I was going to say “I’m waiting for Facebook to push the ‘pivot to telepathy’” but that’s the kind of thing a flat-earthier would say… so i won’t

4. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Facebook is a tumour on society so I’ll not be going near their twitch-alike… ever.

• April March says:

Likewise.

I think it’s kind of cute that I sometimes get ads saying “create an account of Facebook!” as if it thinks I haven’t created an account not because I find it a disgusting cesspool of humanity’s worst juices, but just because I haven’t heard of this cool site yet.

5. oyog says:

What the fuck is a Facebook?

6. racccoon says:

I left facebook in the beginning, lucky, games only.
    FaceBook was created by a perverted mans dream to be able to spy on his fellow students antics & kept all this information for his gratifications. He could not believe how easy they’d succumb or their gullibility, so onwards to the world.
    Facebook is a privacy invader & billions it seems, fell hook, line, & sinker. lol

7. Ghostwise says:

Why, in my day, to be a “creator”, you had to sew together corpses then reanimate the whole kit using electricity and chemicals.

We had STANDARDS, I’ll tell you. Not like now.

8. Masked Dave says:

Makes sense.

9. axiomatic says:

Something I will never see as I deleted my Facebook account, to never return.

Comment on this story