In Carrion you play a horrible bag of meaty tendrils

carrion-1

“What’s it called in movies,” I asked my collegues this evening, “when a scientist sees a big alien or a monster, and all they can do is say how beautiful it is before they are eaten to bits?”

“That’s admiring the abomination,” explained Adam.

Well, you see this disgusting crimson abomination of bloody tendrils in monster videogame Carrion? I admire it.

Carrion is being made by Sebastian Krośkiewicz, the developer of the tough platforming shooter Butcher. You play an amorphous blob of red horror, somewhat like John Carpenter’s The Thing. The way it moves, by grabbing onto its surroundings with fleshy tendrils, looks excellent.

The monster gets larger the more humans it eats, and spreads blood as it moves. “I think I’m making a reversed-horror game,” says Krośkiewicz in a tweet, showing the monster launching itself at a human guard and avoiding another with a flamethrower. “The player isn’t gonna be the scared one.”

There so much good-looking monstering, it’s worth just looking at the dev’s whole feed. But I particularly like the way the creature bursts into this room and tosses its occupants around, as well as this unmanageably large hellthing.

It’s still in the early stages of development but Transhuman Design, creators of King Arthur’s Gold and Soldat, have agreed to publish it, just as they did for the equally bloody Butcher. [Correction: No they haven’t! The developer is still making a demo to show potential publishers now, he says. Hmmm… could we think of anyone who likes bloody, indie things?] Graham played some of the previous game. What did you think of it, Graham?

“Butcher was fun but too hard.”

That’s probably because it’s tagline was “The easiest mode is HARD!” Although it later added a bona fide easy mode.

There’s no release date for Carrion yet, nor much info about what else you’ll be doing in the game. So let’s all just bank it in our GIF-stuffed memories so we can react with wonderment and awe when it finally bursts out of the vents some time in the unknown future. Until then…

Adieu, my love.

1. gpown says:

This is good, Butcher fell flat for me because of how… flat its controls and presentation were. Go left, go right, shoot, feel no feedback. Becoming a murderous blob should fix all that.

2. Chaoslord AJ says:

Looks good, reminds me of this salty guy from Prototype who was disguising as a human the whole time.

• jj2112 says:

Oh yes, a fun and underrated game!

• Evan_ says:

Prototype is the best allcosuming-infection-monster-powerfantasy ever created. Can’t care less if it’s just a mediocre gore-focused action game.. besides that.

3. poliovaccine says:

Very cool, looks like a cross between Prototype and Mushroom 11, which is a juicy-sounding concept, I realize now saying it aloud.

4. Dust and Cobwebs says:

On the one hand, it reminds me of Mushroom 11, which makes me want to play it. On the other, something about some of those gifs actually made me feel physically ill. It’s peculiarly fascinating! Looks like I’ll be waiting to give it a try, all the while wondering why I do these things to myself.

• poliovaccine says:

Funny you say that, cus I always got a sort of grey, sick feeling off of Prototype, and never liked it much cus of that. Thing is, I’m not squeamish like that, and I almost think it was actually the existential claustrophobia of yet another shitty videogame storyline that was actually making me nauseous haha. Not that it was exceptionally worse than other gamey fare, I was just in that kinda place at the time..

5. gou says:

those gifs are a really good representation of me trying to use a grappling hook in terraria

Dios says:

Yeees, more non-humanoid game protagonists please. A certain cinematic platformer really made me want to play more of this sort of stuff.

Phasma Felis says:

I liked Butcher, but it tried a bit too hard with the whole grimdarkbloodgore thing. Like, when you “kill” someone, they lie there screaming and twitching pretty much nonstop until you leave or put them out of their misery, which requires a good bit more damage than it took to put them down in the first place. That’s not something that happens occasionally, it’s *every single enemy* that you kill with the chainsaw, shotgun, or machine gun, which will be your primary weapons for most of the game.

It’s super annoying. I wound up hacking the thing to disable the scream sound effect and end the incessant screeching.

8. jj2112 says:

Don’t know why but it reminds me of Caverns of Kafka. Don’t think anybody remembers that game though.

• GameOverMan says:

I remember that the first time I played it (on a black and white TV) I thought that the graphics were glitched.

9. Spacewalk says:

Gish done right.

10. anon459 says:

Butcher is one of my favorite games for the over the top violence and gore that’s so extreme it’s funny, and it’s been known for a long time that it just feels really good to blow people up with shotguns in games.

Carrion embraces that gore and violence as the game’s core premise, with the player literally playing as the gore, which I think is hilariously awesome even if it may lack the tight gameplay that makes Butcher a classic in my mind.

11. Vasily R says:

I hope this gets published, it looks really interesting.