Mysterious next Battlefield game out this year from Dice

battlefield-1942

Electronic Arts quietly notannounced a new Battlefield game during their conference call last night, alongside notdelaying BioWare’s Anthem. They said very little about it, because they acknowledge its existence but haven’t formally announced it, see. Will it be set in the past, near-past, present, near-future, or future? Battlefield 5? Bad Company 3? Hardline 2? 1944? 2143? Hut hut! It’s all a big mystery for now. Assuming EA follow their traditional Battlefield behaviour, they’ll likely formally announce the game in May or June then release it in mid-to-late October.

“Our Dice studio will deliver the next Battlefield, with innovation at every level, incredible stories at the core, astonishing visuals and gameplay that will captivate every Battlefield fan,” CEO Andrew Wilson said during last night’s earnings conference call for investors. Dice. Captivating. Gotcha.

EA say that this new Battlefield is why they’re delaying Anthem to early 2019, because it didn’t seem sensible to launch the two alongside each other. Wait, sorry – they didn’t say they’re delaying Anthem. EA made clear that Anthem isn’t delayed, it’s… just launching later than previously planned. Not a delay.

The rumour mill has said the next Battlefield would return to World War 2, though don’t believe everything Ian Video Games tells you. Not that EA have told us anything either. But we can make some guesses based on what the EA fellas said across the call. They muttered about esports and Battlefield, for starters, so that’s something we should expect more of a push on.

“BUT WHAT ABOUT LOOT CRATES ALICE?” you scream.

Well! Following the stinking mess of Star Wars Battlefront 2’s loot crate monetisation, it’s no surprise that the subjects of monetisation and live services and all that came up a fair bit across the call, both in EA’s prepared remarks and in questions from analysts. Obviously they didn’t talk about specific plans for this Battlefield game they’ve not announced yet–they still haven’t even said what they’ll do when they eventually return microtransactions to Battlefront 2–but they did talk about broader philosophies.

Wilson said that that with games like Battlefield and Battlefront, “premium content after launch is valued by the community, but only where we can offer it in a world where we don’t bifurcate the community.” He talked about a need to tailor monetisation and content additions to each game but did say that, across all EA games and live services, “at the very centre of everything we want to offer is choice, player choice, in a world that keeps communities together.”

While Battlefront 2 adds new maps, modes, weapons, characters, and bits in free updates and hoped players will splurge cash to skip the unlock grind, Battlefield games have been more simple and direct with paid expansions. However, expansions split communities and, given Wilson’s remarks, I wouldn’t be surprised if Battlefield switches to another form of post-launch monetisation in this or some other future game.

“BUT WHAT ABOUT BATTLE ROYALE ALICE?” you wail. “EVERYTHING IS BATTLE ROYALE NOW.”

Battlefield 5/2018/BC3/1943/2143/5748/58439543 is probably not another Plunker, to put your mind at ease. One listener did ask about Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, and Wilson did compliment it, saying it “delivered a new level of innovation that changed the way people were playing first-person shooter games.” But it sounds like EA are thinking more about shaking up their own game rather than copying someone else’s.

“It’s clearly a mode of play that the global FPS population are interested in, and given that we have some of the best shooters in the marketplace, you might expect that we’re also thinking about new and innovative ways to play. And that doesn’t mean just [Plunkbat] replicas inside of the Battlefield universe but it does mean that our Battlefield teams […] are looking at how they innovate in every aspect of the game, including core gameplay and map design.”

You know, my brain kicked and screamed when I started pouring this moneytalk and numbermash into my ears this morning, but now it’s settled nicely and I think I do want a portfolio. I do want an ROI on my IP in the IPO this FY. I do want to become a choice-centred live service. I do want a pair of red trousers.

1. 111uminate says:

I haven’t played a BF game since 2142. I don’t think I’ll play another one that isn’t a reinstallment of that. Just preference.

• dontnormally says:

I could really do without another WWII game. Any era after that would suit my tastes much better.

• Dogahn says:

Aside from a brief excursion into Modern Warfare on the Wii (i wanted a light gun shooter, don’t hate), I have also not played a battlefield game since 2142. Coincidentally, I think 2142 got most things right with minimal bullshit.

2. jellydonut says:

Vietnam 2 and I’ll be their bitch.

• PiiSmith says:

Bad Company 2 already had Vietnam Expansion. It was also a good game IMHO. It was released in 2010.

• Komsomol says:

Can’t imagine they can improve much on what Rising Storm 2 : Vietnam already delivers.

3. agentgray says:

My boys and I are having so much fun with Battlefield 1—even this late in its cycle—that I would be afraid to leave it.

• Dogahn says:

I had such high hopes for One… Then they gave everyone automatic firearms. Same game different dressing. I’d be interested to read what it is you and your boys enjoy and how that experience is different from any of the other battlefield/call of duty games though.

• agentgray says:

I cannot compare. This is our first experience with any of the games. However, we primarily play scout and medic with medic getting the most love.

My oldest is really good at support and seems to hold well with the medic weapons. He consistently is finishing in the top 10 when playing. He has good map awareness.

4. Lord of Beer says:

Its time to put Conquest out to pasture, its just glorified TDM. They need a proper Rush mode like Bad Company 2 had – where teams actually coordinate to attack objectives and play together.

Instead I’m sure we’ll get 7 crappy modes with the maps awkwardly shoehorned into all of them, doing nothing well.

• CheeseFarts says:

Or they just could make Conquest great again. (which i doubt..)

• PiiSmith says:

Making Conquest great again sounds a lot like something a certain president might say…

5. LickingABeluga says:

Hopefully this will be set in the Australian – American war

6. nimbulan says:

It’s already been confirmed by leaks more than a month ago – Bad Company 3 in the Vietnam to Cold War era.

phuzz says:

Call it Battlefield Royal, sit back and let the money flow in.

You’re welcome EA.

(‘make a game’ is deliberately left out, because people will always buy the new Call of Battle Honour even if it’s shit)

8. popej says:

Haha, American football! They barely even use their feet! Crazy.

9. BaaBaa says:

EA managed to take the Battlefield from a franchise I adored to “meh”, then to “yuck”, and then to “I don’t even know what you’re doing anymore and I don’t think you do either”.

10. Fitzmogwai says:

If it’s a shiny remake of BF2, complete with the Commander slot, I’m in like Flynn. Otherwise EA can FOAD.

11. urbanraccoon says:

BUT WHAT ABOUT PINK VADERS ALICE?

12. Splyce says:

“premium content after launch is valued by the community, but only where we can offer it in a world where we don’t bifurcate the community.” “at the very centre of everything we want to offer is choice, player choice, in a world that keeps communities together.”

The hell. Man, I wish these suits would just stop even bothering to communicate anything other than naked greed. Premium content is valued by the community? Really? I dunno, I have been playing games for a very long time, long before premium content was even an idea, and I don’t purchase it now. If “premium content” ceased to exist tomorrow, I doubt there would be an outcry from any community.

Of course they don’t want to bifurcate their communities. They want all their customers to buy their skins/casino boxes.

• CheeseFarts says:

What does “bifurcate” mean ?
      Sorry for bad english.
      I`m from Texas.

• PiiSmith says:

Suit talk for there will be loot boxes. I fully expect it to be like last years Battlefront 2. is a shame, that they do not care about the game at all, but only on how to make money with it.

13. Gomer_Pyle says:

I refuse to believe that the picture linked up top is BF 1942. I simply refuse!

14. AbyssUK says:

Battlefield: Off world
    With 3 groups of Scifi armies battling over a side of a planet or planetside.

Thats my guess, persitant huge battlefield (Sci-fi) to allow for things like teleporting etc.. basically a new planetside.

15. Megatron says:

No, no: Battlefield: Earth, starring Jon Travolta as your unit commander, hamming it up to eleven as the Alien Overlord. Forrest Whitaker will also be present in a brief role as a mad-eyed alien sub-commander, flush from his success in Star Wars: Rogue One.

16. LordMidas says:

Can I have *Battlefield: Samurai vs Ninja*?