Far Cry 5’s latest trailer shows more culty shenannigans

Out of my way! Coming through! In March!

There’s less than 2 months to go before Far Cry 5 swoops onto our screens and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate that fact than to watch a story focused trailer. Actually I can, and that would be to watch a trailer that just shows someone mucking around with wingsuits, bears and rocket launchers instead, but we can’t always get what we want. And in fairness, the new trailer does include a decent amount of that sort of thing too.

Get ready to see a whole bunch of people murdering other people while waving their holy books in the air, as well as someone being savaged by a bear, a dog and a combine harvester. Not at the same time, obviously. That would be silly.

To summarise: an unhinged cult leader and his followers need to be taken down, possibly with the use of bows, flamethrowers and massive purple trucks. That cult leader has some family issues, by the looks of things.

It’s hard to keep track of the story details we’ve already seen, because Ubisoft’s trailer-o-tron has been pumping away for a while now. If you’re not bothered by the story and just want to see more of how the game actually plays though, then this 8 minute “gameplay walkthrough” from Gamescom should do the trick.

If that doesn’t sate your burning desire for Far Cry 5 details, then you should probably take a walk outside or something. Then come back and read John’s thoughts about how much better the story could have been if it had risen above sterotypes, or how much Adam enjoyed playing with a dog when he got his hands on the game at E3.

At the end of the day, I don’t actually mind if the story isn’t particularly interesting. As long as there’s plenty of this, I’ll be happy.

Far Cry 5 comes out on March 27th.

1. Michael Fogg says:

So I wanted to murder some fascist and also some red state residents, instead they give me a generic doomsday cult, why Ubisoft, why?

• Lord_Mordja says:

Creepy.

• asnakeofjuly says:

Because here in Murica, if a game or movie have anything negative to say about nazis or fascists it is actually a controversy.

• virtual.light says:

right, thats why there’s about a gazillion movies, games and books about the subject with no controversy whatsoever and much critical acclaim?

• Sic says:

There are a gazillion movies, games and books about the American far right?

• virtual.light says:

This befuddling of historical terms of late is quite troubling. To confuse the mass murdering horror of the nazis and fascists (and communists) with a fringe political party is quite petty and actually fascistic if you take the time to learn the meaning behind the term. But as a matter of fact there are actually quite a lot of books and movies about that topic (which had nothing to do with what the OP mentioned).

• Seyda Neen says:

That statement is a bit messed up.

• Catweasel says:

It’s a game about murdering people. I don’t get the melodramatic reactions.

• Parovoz_NFF says:

Because all you gonna get is a one-way helicopter ticket.

2. Lord_Mordja says:

Cult leader fella still looks more like a silicon valley tech bro than anything else.

Anyway, I liked FC3 and 4 a whole lot but I also felt that the next game would have to change things up and this really doesn’t look like it does. Way to similar, just a different, less interesting locale. Getting real sick of modern guns.

What I wouldn’t do for a sci-fi Far Cry…

• baud001 says:

Well, the blood dragon expansion is sci-fi, but doesn’t do much with it, except LASER DRAGONS!

• Lord_Mordja says:

Yeah but it’s very slight and basically just a spinoff of FC3. Enjoyed my time with it, but had no desire to play any more when I finished.

• jroger says:

So, Far Cry Primal didn’t change it up enough for you then? No modern gun in sight.

3. Chaz says:

Does anyone really give a damn about the story when playing a game like this? All it’s really there for is to give us a good excuse to shoot people and blow things up with wild abandon.

4. virtual.light says:

Played it at EGX and it was positively buggy/slow framerate, loading took ages, wonder if they’ve smoothed things out.

5. woodsey says:

I’ve enjoyed past Far Cries (Far Cry 2 fan club, ho!) but I’m finding it difficult to muster much enthusiasm for this.

And given their track-record for handling bisexuality (in 4) and rape (in 3), I’m kind of dreading their take on religious-right fundamentalism here (which they’ve been pretty evasive about in interviews).

They’re also recommending an i7 like they did for Origins, I believe, so I can see this being another quality optimisation job.

• April March says:

I hear ya. Ubi is very good at seeing what themes they should be handling, but they greatly overestimate their ability to handle them.

• onodera says:

I don’t remember anyone bisexual in FC4. Which of the NPCs was bisexual?

• woodsey says:

Pagan Min. It’s heavily implied during the opening scene at least, whether Ubisoft confirmed it or not I don’t remember.

phuzz says:

Far Cry 2 was great (but flawed).

6. Mario Pajas says:

Looks pretty clear from the trailer they have to make the “good guys” the most American (random USAians flags everywhere), the most religious (a Catholic or whatever priest against the cult) and the most militarists to avoid any controversy or polemic with the antagonits. I was expecting a more controversial or “edgy” game, if we are to use that word. Instead they gave me American conservatives vs. American conservatives.

7. Hyena Grin says:

I’m interested how they’re going to navigate the minefield that is American religion and politics, because I know that Ubi isn’t the kind of company eager to piss anyone off. I don’t think anyone should be surprised at any, uh, soft edges the game might present. I’m mostly just hoping they don’t somehow make things worse by trying to maintain a misguided ‘balance’ (such as in Bioshock Infinite).

I like the setting and the subject matter looks interesting, so I was curious from the get go, but the thing that’s made it an almost certain purchase is the co-op. I got a friend who I like to play chaotic drive’n’shoot’em’ups with, and the well’s gone a bit dry since Saints Row V and GTAV. A full far-cry game in co-op has piqued our interest quite a bit, gotta say.

8. Maxheadroom says:

They’ve just reskinned and re released Far Cry 3 so many times now that I genuinely thought this came out months ago

• Marclev says:

Was pretty much going to say the exact same thing. I saw the article and the first thing I wondered was “Didn’t that come out sometime late last year?”.