Cast Firaga on your GPU with Final Fantasy XV’s PC benchmark tool

Final Fantasy XV

It’s been a long time coming, but the expanded, tuned, moddable and polished-up PC port of magical realist pretty-boy road-trip RPG Final Fantasy XV is nearly here. The only question that remains is “How well will this thing run on my PC?”

Well, hypothetical questioner, I’ve got some good news for you: Square have been kind enough to release a benchmark tool for the game, allowing you to ogle a bit of it in action on your own PC, and receive advice on whether you’ll need to lower your settings or resolution in order to get a consistently smooth result out of the game.

My results are largely what I expected – my score tells me that I’m pushing¬†around 5% fewer frames than your average desktop 1070-powered machine, but given that I’m on a laptop now, that’s a pretty damn good result, and amounts to a fairly consistent 75-80fps at 1080p, standard detail settings; an astronomical increase over the original console version’s choppy performance.

Doesn’t hurt that the game looks properly lovely in action, and the world-altering summon spell shown off near the end of the benchmark is particularly spectacular at a solid framerate. It’s taken forever to get here, but it seems they’ve put some real effort into the port.

I must admit that I can’t wait to get my hands on the PC version of the game now. I played the original PS4 release a bit near launch, but never sank as much time into it as I’d like. In the meantime, I’ve seen the game evolve and expand an enormous amount, reworking weaker chunks of the main story, adding DLC side-stories and a co-op side campaign, and even a few game-changing features. All of those are going to be included as standard in the PC edition.

While some were excited enough when Square patched a monster-truck style offroad vehicle into the game, allowing for vastly more freeform exploration, the biggest addition has to be the recently added option to switch control between all four members of your party. At launch, you played solely as sad-eyed swordboy Prince Noctis, but once you’re a ways into the campaign, you can now unlock the option to directly control the other three lads and use their signature abilities directly in combat.

While I didn’t try it myself before I removed the benchmark to save on precious SSD space, I did hear on the grapevine that you can break the benchmark by mashing on the arrow keys and other buttons once Noctis and his crew get out of their car to wander around on foot. You’ll take partial control of the character and be able to wander semi-freely. As far as bugs go, that’s pretty great. More intentionally, the benchmark also supports Nvidia Ansel, if you want to take some pretty shots of your own.

You can grab the benchmark for yourself here, and compare how you stack up against other users with similar hardware over here. The PC version of Final Fantasy XV will land on PC on March 6th for a surprisingly reasonable £35/$50, on par with the upcoming Royal Edition of the game launching soon on consoles.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

3396 4k@high which apparently means I smashed it, which is nice.

Now what is nicer still is the benchmark has nVidia Ansel built in so fun screenshots can be had.

2. Banks says:

I mean, you need at least a GTX 1060 to run it at 60fps standard/medium settings. I don’t think that is amazing for the kind of visuals this game has. Very far from it.

3. tehfish says:

Not really fussed about the game itself.(apparently didn’t even make it past the tutorial levels of the last FF game i tried, otherwise a fairly keen jrpg fan.)
    But benchmarks can be interesting :)

Hardware wise i got to within 1% or so of the listed benchmark scores for my RX580 / Ryzen 7 combo, so i’d say they were reasonably accurate.

For playability at 1080p on my system: seemed fine at normal settings, near slideshow in places at high. GPU was maxed out at 100% usage during the tests so no CPU bottlenecks.

4. Brothabear says:

What would the benchmark be proving exactly? Japanese games, dont have even close to the same fidelity when it comes to shading,volumetric lighting, physics,ect. Sure it takes alot of system resources to run, but for all the wrong reasons.

• Vandelay says:

Err… so you can test that you can run the game…

I think this is a good thing to do. More games should release the ability to test the game before you buy. A demo is nice, but this is a really good alternative.

That is a completely separate topic than the optimisation of the game, of course.

5. Vandelay says:

I had never played a Final Fantasy game before picking up XV last Christmas. Unfortunately, I found this very disappointing.

It was enjoyable enough for about 10 hours, but the world was just bland to explore. It looks gorgeous from a distance, but there are huge amounts of nothingness to get through. Even when you do get somewhere, the game itself is quite tedious. The combat is a matter of holding down the attack button for most of the time, interrupted by the occasional dodge or special attack from one of your boy band pals. The rest is just running/driving between quests. The driving (which is either completely automated or mostly automated) is interesting for a while. It is unique to have a game like this that has its relaxing moments, but they achieve that here… for awhile. You soon end up just fast travelling once you have sat watching the car driving for a few hours.

The story itself is fine, but nothing special. The central four characters are much more likeable than they should be and the interaction between just works. The rest of the story, at least what I have seen, is your quite standard fare.

It hasn’t put me off the series entirely, but I don’t think I will be interested in going back to this one.

• SaintAn says:

Most fans hate everything past XII. And XII was hated when it came out by fans, but it has aged well. XV is very hated by FF fans, but loved by non-fans for some reason (probably marketing and hype because people are weak minded).

Squaresoft made FF1-11, but then they merged with Enix, the people that made the Dragon Quest series because a movie Squaresoft made did very poorly. So halfway through making FFXII the man behind the FF series was forced out of Square Enix and the series went to shit.

Get IX on Steam and try that as your first real Final Fantasy. That’s a lot of peoples favorite. Try VI (not the phone or Steam version) if you can handle old graphics, but you’ll need to find a copy that isn’t brutally censored to emulate which will require some research. IV is another beloved one. Think there was a really nice looking version of IV on PSP, so find and emulate that one.

Or if you like tactical games I highly recommend Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, which is my favorite one. Or if you’re into MMO’s Final Fantasy 11 is not only the best MMO ever made, but also one of the best FF games with a huge amount of content and story. It was developed for like 15 years, so that’s 15 years of content in one game. (not FFXIV, which is a different MMO and not anywhere near as good an MMO or a FF game, though still decent to play)

• Guy Montag says:

Kudos on that first paragraph, it takes some primo blinders to say that without inadvertently using your built-in eye lasers to set your trousers aflame.