Watch this Slay The Spire infinite combo deck winning on the first turn

As you might have noticed, we’re playing a lot of Slay The Spire round these parts. With a few wins under my belt, I’ve learned about the power of building lean decks in the roguelikelike dungeon-crawling card game, but I’m still blown away watching a video of an infinite combo winning battles on the very first turn – with only two cards in the entire deck. It has caused several blasphemous exclamations in the RPS treehouse.

Here’s Twitch streamer “RiskyCB” with the edited highlights of an infinite combo run on his stream last month:

For those who can’t watch now or need a little explanation, here we go. From the start RiskyCB focuses on cutting extraneous cards from the deck–removing them through his starting blessing, in shops, and at campfires once he finds the Peace Pipe relic–to lay the foundations for reliably drawing big combos. He starts out using Bash to make enemies Vulnerable then hitting them with a Dropkick, which refunds its energy cost and draws a card if the target is Vulnerable. Using Dual Wield creates more Dropkicks so he can keep drawing them. But as the run continues, he strips the deck down and down until it’s just two cards: Flash of Steel, a zero-cost card which deals damage and draws a new card; and Duel Wield to make enough Flashes to draw. Wild times.

I’d known that was possible but it requires removing so many cards, which requires sacrificing and risking so much, that I’m still hugely impressed. And I realise other infinite combos exist in Slay The Spire but YouTube recommended that video to me, so I watched it and exclaimed “jesus” then I showed it round the RPS treehouse and Alec said “holy god” and Matt said “haha, nice”, so now I’m showing you too.

Alec adds, “I just tried to recreate this but got murdered by the first Elite I encountered.”

Oh, and a new early access update hit Slay The Spire today. As the patch notes explain, it’s a ‘quality of life’ update rather than anything major. Enjoy new rest area backgrounds, interface improvements so you can better see your deck and enemy intents at certain points, new animations for a few enemies, and balance changes (the new Eggs are nice).

For more on the future of Slay The Spire, do read Brendan’s recent interview with the main devs, where they talk about adding new characters, making more interesting and transformative events, and more.

1. Landiss says:

After spending over 20 hours in the game, it in general seems to me that cutting cards is the best strategy. I never made a really successful deck that had more than around 15 cards. Problem is you don’t always get enough chance to delete cards.

• Faldrath says:

I think this is usually how deck-building games go. It’s easy to get sidetracked by ALL THE COOL CARDS THAT APPEAR ALL TIME.

When I first played Ascension I couldn’t even understand why removing cards could be beneficial, I thought that cards that did that were some sort of balancing act to their other powers.

If on the one hand you do have to get all those new cards at some point to figure out what they do and how they work, on the other hand, just taking cards indiscriminately will make your deck bloated and not very effective. Of course, doing that might also let you discover a new synergy you hadn’t thought of, so it’s a nice risk/reward thing, especially when you’re learning the game.

• Ginny Totale says:

I’ve won with some large (30+?) decks as the Ironclad. It insulates you a little from enemies that inflict bad statuses, and if you have duplicates of your key cards you can still be pretty consistent. But it means having a pretty broad mechanical theme (e.g. lots of “bonuses when you exhaust” cards) instead of a focused combo.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

The limit break card doesn’t double your strength, this really pissed me off since I just spent my money on it this run, it seems to double your energy for one turn.

• Tacroy says:

Was that a stealth nerf or something? I didn’t see any changes to it in the recent patch notes and it definitely has doubled Strength every time I’ve used it.

The main problem with that card is that if you double zero, it’s still zero.

• Createx says:

It does though.
      It doesn’t double your attack damage, it doubles your additional strength that you got from other cards or effects. There’s a red arm with a number next to it among your status icons, that’s your current strength, and that’s the number Limit Break doubles. If no cards/relics gave you strength before, then LB does nothing.
      In the right deck LB can be heavily abused, usually at the price of being a glass cannon.

• Tacroy says:

It’s a red sword, not a red arm. The (yellow) arm comes from the Flex card, which temporarily grants you 2 (or 4 upgraded) strength.

If you limit break while you have Flex up, you get double the effect on the current turn and then you get to keep the extra Flex strength next turn :)

3. GomezTheChimp says:

Similar to the (in)famous `golden deck` in Dominion, which was a deck made up of just 5 cards…

4. Someoldguy says:

This is why I prefer games like Magic where the objective is to assemble a lean, efficient deck with multiple combos but you’re not allowed to start any battle with a deck smaller than 60 cards and you’re only allowed 4 of any particular card in it.

Comment on this story