The Foxer

Warm-up Foxer (Where am I?)

I’m in a village transformed by globalisation. I can see a palm tree and a tabby-and-white cat. The road I’m on is named after a man with a distinctive middle name. The country I’m in has played in only one FIFA World Cup. If I flew around the globe at this latitude I wouldn’t pass over the contiguous United States. I’m 100 metres from a canal. I’m due south of one of the oldest golf courses in the world. Ten years ago passenger trains returned to the local railway line after an absence of almost half a century. This village shares a name with a controversial US political figure. I’m three miles from a very unusual bridge and four and a half from the remains of a ship that was afloat when Vlad the Impaler was impaling.

Feature Foxer

This enlargeable collage has a hidden theme. What is it?

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s warm-up foxer: I was here (defoxed by Gusdownup)

Last week’s wordchain:

1. TAKLAMAKAN – The Silk Road skirted this desert (AFKAMC)
2. ANCHOR – An object that links Popeye to Pope Clement I (AFKAMC)
3. HORATIO – An unusual christian name shared by two well-known British military figures (Gothnak)
4. IONA – An island equidistant from Frankfurt and Reykjavik (chuckieegg)
5. NAMER – An extremely resilient APC (chuckieegg)
6. MERCATOR – A drone, telescope, and geographer (AFKAMC, Electric Dragon)
7. TORNADO – The mount of a famous freedom fighter (Electric Dragon)
8. DORADO – A WW2 submarine lost in the Atlantic on her maiden voyage (AFKAMC, Electric Dragon)
9. ADOBE – Mix-up this low-tech building material to make a home (AFKAMC)
10. OBERON – A natural satellite of Uranus (Gothnak)
11. RONDEL – Armpit armour (Gothnak)
12. ELECTRA – A word that links Amelia Earhart to Eugene O’Neill (AFKAMC)
13. TRAPEZIUM – One of the 206 (AFKAMC)
14. UMBRELLA – In its Bulgarian form, a deadly weapon (chuckieegg)
15. LACONIA – The three liners that carried this name all met untimely ends (chuckieegg)
16. NIAGARA – A North American river that’s also a British aero engine (Electric Dragon)
17. ARABESQUE – A ballet position and a Gregory Peck film (AFKAMC, AbyssUK)
18. QUETZALCOATL – He terrorised NYC in a 1980s movie (phlebas, AbyssUK)
19. ATLAS – A pedal-powered whirlybird (phlebas, AbyssUK)
20. LASTUN – A diminutive hatchback made in Eastern Europe (Gothnak)
21. TUNGSTEN – During WW2 much of Britain’s came from Devon (Electric Dragon)
22. TENERIFE – Close to Scotland, vexillogically speaking (Gothnak)
23. FERNET – An alcoholic drink big in Buenos Aires (Gothnak)
24. ETIHAD – One of the airlines that operates A380s (AFKAMC)

1. Stugle says:

Is that Jake Gyllenhaal in Jarhead (bottom center)? And is that Charlie Brooker on the left, with his eyes obscured?

• Artiforg says:

I was going to say Charlie Brooker too, but the comment system ate my post!

Matchstick says:

The missile-like thing in the top middle to left is a Kongsberg Hydroid Autonomous Underwater Vehicle.

Still trying to track down the exact model

Got it – looks to be the Remus 600-S

link to subseaworldnews.com

3. AFKAMC says:

Possibly a Hawker Siddeley Andover top left?

phuzz says:

Looks like it yes, it resembles “XS639 in the colours of 46 Sqn, RAF Air Support Command, when based at RAF Abingdon from 1967-1970” (at least it matches this lovely model).
      I’m still trying to work out what that coat of arms is, I have a feeling it’s important.

phuzz says:

Its the coat of arms of Abingdon-on-Thames, ie the aircraft’s home base. I should have worked that one out quicker.
        Anyway, I found the original picture, it’s actually XS604 probably taken at RAF Benson.

4. Artiforg says:

On the right hand side that looks like Scooter from the Muppets.

5. Gothnak says:

The thing at the back is a Microwave oven control panel for a Sharp R-651ZS. Apparently my specialist subject? :p

link to m.sharpusa.com

In other news, do people actually use a microwave to soften ice cream?

• billy_bunter says:

Bottom left:
      Trinidad & Tobago 10 Cents coin with Flaming Hibiscus

• unacom says:

Wow! to your specialist subject.

And as to other news:
      Yes. My wife does it. And she also uses it to melt the chunks in chocolate cookies. What else are microwave ovens for?

Matchstick says:

Is the cylindrical thing along the middle some kind of early breech-loaded cannon (possibly known as a “Beer Mug” style cannon ?)

7. Gothnak says:

‘Bearded 20th Century Writers’ awards me Mr D H Lawrence on the right…

link to google.co.uk:

8. Arioch_RN says:

Trailblazer in the lower background, Gremlin Graphics

phuzz says:

The coin is a 10c piece from Trinidad and Tobago.
    The flower is a Hibiscus.

*edit, Billy_Bunter had it first

10. Gusdownnup says:

Warm-up: I think we’re here.

• Stugle says:

Ah, well done. I did look into the Newport ship, but then I assumed Wales was within the latitudes of the continental US, so I ignored Wales altogether. I really need to start doing better than spitballing latitudes from a zoomed out Google map. :)

• Gusdownnup says:

Extreme points of the US (and then looking for contiguous points) gave a range of 24 N – 49 N; it’s always surprising to me how much of Europe is North of that.

• Stugle says:

I LIVE in the place (being the US) and I’m originally from the Netherlands. And I studied Geography at uni. I really should know this stuff… But yeah, I’m constantly putting the US on a similar latitude as Western Europe in my mind, which is patently wrong.

• chuckieegg says:

Lol, thats the most underwhelming Foxer view ever. Well done. (The controversial US politician is Roger Stone. Not heard of him before, but he does sound like a scoundrel).

Matchstick says:

DAMN ! I got hung up on Ebenezer Drive in Rogerstone :)

• Gusdownnup says:

I must have spent fifteen minutes going up and down those streets looking for that darned cat…

11. Stugle says:

What is that ramp/winch on the front of the good ship 9? I don’t think it’s a cable layer – that seems to happen at the stern.

12. Gothnak says:

God knows what the link is this week, i got nuffin. I think it’s due to being traumatised at being murdered by an understandably angry whale over on the Flare Path.

• AFKAMC says:

Could there be some American Civil War link? “Butternut” being a reference to Confederate soldiers, due to the colour of their uniforms. I have no other evidence to back this up, though.

EDIT …except the Lawrence massacre (also known as Quantrill’s raid).

13. Tim Stone says:

I’m not sure it helps, but…

Roman’s collages usually have gnomic acronyms scrawled on the back (He likes to classify his creations). This one was marked ‘GP’, a code I don’t remember seeing before.