What are we all playing this weekend?

I still can’t get over Liz England’s video game erotica Twitter bot. Every time the bot spits out another tweet I groan “Oh nooo” and cover my eyes then want find someone and shout “LOOK AT THIS. THIS IS HORRIBLE. LOOK AT IT!”

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m definitely not playing Monster Hunter: World. Definitely not. But I am playing a closed alpha of Hunt: Showdown, Crytek’s gothic multiplayer monster hunting game. It’s quite good.

But it’s not as good as Monster Hunter: World. A game I’m definitely not playing.

Alec: There’ll be nowt but more Slay The Spire for me. I’m determined to pull off one of those minimal card, infinitely repeating combos for myself – ideally one of my own original invention/discovery. Man, just a few days ago I couldn’t stop playing Isaac, but now it’s just a distant, (mostly) card-free memory.
Alice: I’ve been stuck playing the same few (very enjoyable) games a whole lot so I would like to break out and play something else. Subnautica I’m still a little afraid of but stoked for, and I have already downloaded the client for that free weekend trial of Fallout 4. As I said, I find Bethesda’s open-world RPGs a bit hollow and have never finished the main story of a single one, but I do quite like pottering around and finding good hats. Boston sounds like a city that might have some good hats.
Brendan: I’ve been swimming with the sand sharks and crab snakes of Subnautica all week, and I don’t mean to stop now. My previous 30-hour game save was lost in a backup accident (sniff) but my underwater utopia is nearly back to its former glory. Sure, it still has a poster permanently stuck to a window. And yes, there’s a Stalker outside who followed me home one day and won’t leave. But it’s home.
Graham: I’ve got three games on the go again: Slay the Spire, Celeste and Subnautica. This is the problem with reading so many articles on RPS. I’m constantly being convinced by my colleagues to start on new games. So far, they’ve not been wrong on any of the above games. Though confession, I’m playing Celeste on the Switch. That means I’ll probably spend most of my weekend playing that, since I can do it from the couch.
John: I sincerely doubt there will be any time for games this weekend, but if there were, I’d clearly be filling it with Subnautica. Even though I technically “finished” it yesterday. Also, a couple of review codes I’m interested in are in, so in this imaginary time I’m maybe sneaking a peak at those.
Katharine: I’m off to The Big Smoke this weekend to see Bryan Cranston play a slightly mad news anchor at the theatre, so any gaming time I manage to cram in will likely be confined to my Switch. That probably means I’ll be continuing my renewed odyssey into Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which I stalled on a while ago after getting stuck on a boss, but there’s a distinct possibility I might cave and binge on Night in the Woods instead. I’ll see where the mood takes me.
Matt: I’ll probably spend most of my time tracking down trousers-to-be in Monster Hunter: World. After seeing all the glowing reviews, I’ve caved and bought if for my PS4 because I don’t have the willpower to wait until the autumn PC release. I’m only half an hour in and so far all I’ve done is hide and run away from things, so I’m looking forward to turning the tables on those walking/flying/slithering armour dispensers.

That said, I’m actually more excited to spend more time playing medieval dodgeball in Strikers Edge, which is the best single-screen multiplayer game I’ve played since TowerFall.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Funso Banjo says:

I’ve heard people comparing the new Monster Hunter positively to Horizon Zero Dawn, which was game of the year for me. So I’ll be breaking down and buying that today. If I can talk the wife into letting me, that is. I’m making her a bacon and egg sandwich right now, which may help.

• LW says:

I greatly enjoy both of them, but apart from a vague “there are big things you fight” similarity, they’re not much alike. Horizon’s main strength is story and world; the robo-fights are just passable. MH’s world-building is pretty thin, and story almost non-existent; just a reason to get you into monster brawls.

• Daymare says:

I thought the robit fights were pretty cool. I mean, come on, that first Thunderjaw fight, or how you can slowly dismantle the dinos was really neat. And being able to turn them on your side.

Just passable would be something like … Skyrim or so.

Played it on a pretty high diffictuly though, didn’t like the combat much at first but when I learned I had to use pretty much everything at my disposal and found out which skills are useful, the game opened up to me.

Also, being able to reuse those socket items (via a skill unlock) becomes a pretty important later for Eloy to feel capable vs various enemies.

2. Aetylus says:

I’ve also picked up the Slay the Spire bug. Will be mixing it up with some Atlas Reactor and Crusader Kings 2.

3. Avioto says:

I just installed my new monitor (LG 32GK850G) and will probably end up playing a lot of Overwatch on that. And I’ll be continuing on my FF12 journey and probably play a little bit of Soundboxing.

Have a good weekend everyone!

4. celticdr says:

Subnautica no thanks to John Walker’s excellent articles on said game, now it’s got it’s hooks into me [pun intended].

So far I’m finding that I’ve had to Wiki quite a bit of info on where/how to find blueprints, the game doesn’t do a great job at signposting, but it’s got an amazing atmosphere, I’m loving being under the sea “under the sea” *cue the little mermaid song*… Good luck getting that brainworm out of your head 😂

• Monggerel says:

Not sure if you found this already, but:
      There’s a Scanner Room you can build, and use it to search for blueprints/resources/etc. The blueprint for it is very close to the place where you start, probably deliberately.

Alternatively, do what I did: cheat! I just *really* needed that Seamoth *right then*! It ain’t my fault, blame tha aliens.

• Daymare says:

My latest session has really made it hard not to cheat, considering that my PRAWNs got stuck in the floor twice to such a degree that only exiting and using specific sorts of teleport commands got my character unstuck (not the PRAWNs, tho).
        So yes, I cheated. Now that I need it, I also can’t friggin find an Eye Stalk anywhere.

Weirdly I never once got stuck in the 100h I’d played before, though there were other bugs.

• celticdr says:

Yeah got the Seamoth already, just wanted to crack on with the base building so I did a sneaky trip out to the island before I’d built up the radio logs required, now I’ve got a nice base forming on the grassy plateau – hooray for progress!

• Lomaxx says:

Just finished that awesome game … without looking anything up. Hooray! xD Took me 60 hours. Even got all achievements, except two which obviously are bugged as 0% of the players got them.
      Now i am a bit sad that it’s over as i am not the type of guy who builds large, fancy bases for nothing. Well, maybe i build some more small bases with raderstations to find wracks i haven discovered so far. Maybe not. :)

• fish99 says:

I think I looked up one thing, when already a long way into the game and not having found the vehicle modification station, I looked up which biomes they were in. Turns out I’d already visited the correct wrecks but just missed two databoxes. It was preventing me progressing and I’d already spent hours and hours searching.

I agree there isn’t much to do in the game once you’re ready to complete it.

5. Stone_Crow says:

More Slay the Spire here too. Only not playing Sunbnautica because after 200 hours of EA, and finally pressing ‘Launch’ I need to give it a month or two before starting again. Several of my PS4 owning friends appear to have disappeared into their houses and not come out for several days like Adam.

6. Morat Gurgeh says:

Civ 6 (bless/curse you Humble Monthly)

That picture at the top reminds me of my Rage Against The Machine long sleeve I had as a callow youth. Nuns with guns. My mother threw it out. Can’t find a proper version anywhere. She also threw out an original Pink Floyd Wall tour t-shirt because she thought it had paint splatter on it. It was Gerald Scarfe artwork!!

7. Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve just started playing FIVE: Guardians of David, which centers around the bodyguards of the biblical Goliath slayer David (Goliath is an early boss which you get to fight as David). David is too popular for his own good, so he needs bodyguards. Also, bible quote collectibles, yay!

It’s an action-rpg like Diablo and much more fun to play than the few other Diablo-likes I’ve played. It’s much better than it has any right to be. Everything is simply done well, which is surprising to find in an unknown game.

8. FizicsMcmanus says:

Nearing the end of the Grim Dawn expansion and eyeing Wolcen on Steam which looks intriguing (I especially like the look of the ability to rotate rings of the skill tree for mix and match) but is still way too early to touch for me.

Trying “Life is Strange” after getting it in the bundle. Odd game for Squeenix to make, I can’t seem to equip the girl with a dragon sword.

9. Vandelay says:

In between watching the opening weekend of the Six Nations, I hope to finish off Owlboy, which has been a real delight.

Will also hopefully finish off nearly finish Quantum Break, which is what you expect from a solid Remedy game. Great action and a story that is just good enough to keep you interested, but not quite good enough to whole heartily sing the praises of. It also has ditched the fun purple prose of their previous games, which makes it less interesting.

On the otherhand, it stars the excellent Lance Reddick, which is a bit of an overload of him considering I am currently watching The Wire (first time!) and Fringe. He isn’t as great in Quantum Break as either of those, but still pretty good.

10. Smollik says:

Assassin origins

11. Ghostwise says:

I’ll be copy-editing. How thrilling.

12. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Total Warhams 2: Skellington Boogaloo. Getting on nicely with my Khalida campaign, so will possibly try to finish that.

13. anHorse says:

Mount and Blade Warband, specifically the Viking Conquest dlc/mod.

The demo of M&B was one of the first things I played when getting into PC gaming and after all these years the game still hooks me in ways that nothing else does.
    Even in this current save as I slowly realise that I’ve joined a faction that never actually do anything in a war I’m still having fun.

Also I might play Slay the Spire, as it looks interesting and I’m going to look back over all the RPS posts on it.

• anHorse says:

Bought and played two runs of slay the spire and I’m already hooked.

I like it because it keeps what I enjoy about card games (in the moment decision making) and cuts out what I don’t enjoy (painstakingly constructing a deck when half the time you’re better off copying someone’s already made one)

14. astromech says:

Going to give Battallion:1944 a go, but they’re having a rocky start with servers etc.

EDIT: AKA Server Browser Simulator 2018.

15. lglethal says:

Endless Space 2 has it’s hooks in me after i picked it up on a Fanatical Star Deal. Go the Unfallen Trees!

It’s a good game i can recommend for anyone with a small baby. You can walk way from it with zero notice and be sure nothing is going to happen, you can play it without sound, and you can play it one handed (for when the baby is sleeping in your other arm!).

Other games I’ve found that are good for this – the Shadowrun series, and surprising, Blood Bowl 2 (although that you have to hit escape to pause!). X-com 2 is probably also good.

Anyone else have one handed, no sound, able to be paused games they can recommend?

• hijuisuis says:

Hexcells!

• Captain Narol says:

Crusader Kings 2
      Football Manager
      Qvadriga
      Age of Gladiators
      Out There
      80 Days
      King of Dragon Pass
      Sokobond
      Swim Out
      Hexcells Infinite

Etc…

I had a baby too a few years ago (already 7, that went fast), Turn-Based stuff is your new friend !

16. dethtoll says:

It’s Halo time! Going through the original trilogy (first two on PC as I dislike how they control on XBox), then ODST and Reach, neither of which I’ve played yet.

17. elsparko says:

It took me over 100h to finish Elex. I originally suspended my Gothic 3 play-through for this but now I don’t feel like going back soon. Those two games are just too similar.

Now I’m trying to decide between Divinity OS2, Pillars of Eternity, Nier Automata and Tales of Berseria. I had started all of these in the past but none did quite catch me.

Apart from RPGs I’m thinking of maybe playing a little Watch_Dogs (got it free on uplay last year) or Endless Space 2 (go vaulters!) or maybe even some Total Warhammer (sadly I seem so suck at the battles…).

• poliovaccine says:

How did you like Elex? I was interested, in spite of lukewarm reviews, because how often do you get a sci-fi open world RPG? Speaking as a rabid Fallout fan, not enough, I say! But then, yknow, the lukewarm reviews.

Also, I know I’m the outlier on this one, but I actually enjoy Watch Dogs (no I refuse to underscore it) a good bit. Yes, the main character is tedious and hateable, but I love the city and I love the mechanics. And its multiplayer is flat out awesome, it makes for the zany hacker sandbox the game’s best promise said it could be… the game that none of the singleplayer campaign ever is. And I usually hate multiplayer – like I play solo in fucking Dark Souls, okay? People can get right the hell out of my world, in 99% of cases… but Watch Dogs multiplayer is the most fun I’ve had online with strangers since Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Front were new… back when nobody really used microphones.

18. Daymare says:

Finally started What Remains of Edith Finch. I’m loving the layout of the house and the rooms.

My only gripe is how the same books and photos are repeatedly used in the house. Like, how many copies of “The Secrets of the Stove” or somesuch does one family need? Who hangs two identical photographs in the same room?

I know, there’s only so much time devs have to create unique assets, but it murders all my immersion instantly, walking around in a room, looking at photographs and thinking “huh, I just saw that right behind me”. In a game which ostensibly wants you to pay attention to details, it’s even more irritating and obvious.

Otherwise, the different tales and the attention to detail and atmosphere are absolutely stunning.

• celticdr says:

Mate wait till you get to that ending. It brought this crusty old (37 yro) man to the verge of tears.

Out of all the games I’ve played in the past few years nothing has lingered on in my memory afterwards like Edith Finch has (especially Lewis’s story).

It really makes a strong argument for “games as an art form”.

Anyhow enjoy the experience!

• Daymare says:

Don’t worry — I’m loving the game, it’s a minor gripe in the scope of its overall awesomeness.

Something easily be improved by a few texture mods, even.

• Ben King says:

I just started that one two! I’m only one story into it, but my GF looked up from her knitting (while our pet rabbit hopped about the house eating bits of apple core I’d hidden after baking a pie) and was shocked to see me merrily catching and eating bunnies in a field. I don’t think she likes it but i was overjoyed.

19. JustAchaP says:

Public v10 test for Squad is on for the weekend so playing that.

20. MondSemmel says:

I’ve been playing nothing but Celeste for the last week, and it’s been an absolute blast. Highly recommended – I might possibly love it more than even Super Meat Boy at this point.

EDIT: And while it gets ridiculously challenging in the later B-side levels, it’s also very approachable in its normal levels (plus, if you need it, there’s even an accessibility mode).

Also, the soundtrack is pure perfection.

21. juan_h says:

I picked up some user-created modules for Shadowrun Dragonball & Hong Kong, as I love the games but am a little tired of clicking through the same old dialogues. So far, I am not loving it. The designer of the Anti-Umbra module really, really loves dark levels. Seriously, some of these levels are so dark you can’t see much of anything but your mouse pointer. And they’re huge. And full of enemies. And the combat won’t end until you have tediously, painstakingly navigated your party through the whole stupid, dark place to find that one last enemy hiding in an obscure corner. Yet I have overcome all that. Now I’m stuck on a navigate-the-invisible-maze puzzle.

My last serious foray into user-generated content was Neverwinter Nights. A lot of that was also not very good, but there was so much of it that you were bound to find at least a few things you liked. The pickings for the Shadowrun games are alas much, much slimmer.

22. Mud says:

Omsi 2,bought the bus company DlC and I love it … great addon.

oh the stress lol

23. kelmorg says:

Halcyon6: The Precursor legacy

24. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

Blackwell Epiphany which is as engaging as one would expect from a Dave Gilbert/Wadjet Eye adventure.

I recently finished the main game in Resident Evil 7 which I thought was a return to form for the franchise, though I haven’t played the generally poorly received sixth entry. I’m considering the DLC content. What say you, RPSers? Worth it? Alec had good things to say about the vignettes in Banned Footage but there are no WITs for Not A Hero and End of Zoe. I’m sceptical about the switch to all-out action and brawling.

Ninja Dodo says:

Sassin Origins: currently hanging out with Romans in the mountains. Still very much enjoying the game and the scenery.

One thing I would like to see change in future ACs though is it would be good if guards and bandits didn’t immediately attack you on sight in neutral non-restricted areas. Half the time there doesn’t seem to be any clear reason for them to attack and you just want to go about your business, but here they are forcing you into combat when you’d rather just be exploring.

It would also help if they had slightly less 100% perfect vision and attention at all times. Like IRL people don’t look *up* very much but here if you stand on a roof without cover odds are guards on the ground will spot you near immediately. Would be more realistic if they only happened to look up every now and then or when traversing in that direction…

I think the series would really be improved if you could engage in combat on your own terms more often.

26. Carra says:

Just finished Shardlight. I love me an old school adventure game from time to time.

Next up? The latest Humble has some great games. Maybe Tacoma or the Norwood Suite. Or another playthrough with Civ 6. Maybe Owlboy? That’s a lot of great games for my $12.

27. peterako1989 says:

Im playing a 2D, black and white game that is about 5 nuns with 2 of them dueling with pistols

28. spleendamage says:

Star Traders: Frontiers and Slay the Spire, when my daughter isn’t paying attention. She, however, likes the dinosaurs in ARK, so probably quite a bit of that as well.

Neurotic says:

This weekend I am/shall be mostly Spire Slaying and Warcraft Worlding on PC, with a bit of RE Zeroing on ye olde PS4.

30. malkav11 says:

I’d like to play Subnautica, but the entire game takes place in increasingly deep ocean full of things that want to eat you, which is about as centered on my deepest phobia as it is possible to get.

Actual intentions will probably involve some combination of Hex: Shards of Fate, Secret World Legends (double AP is tempting but I’m not really super feeling it right now), FFXIV (plugging away to try to get to Heavensward content and hope that’s better than the original game was), or the newly released and purchased HD-ified FFXII. Maybe I’ll plow through Rusty Lake: Roots while I’m at it.

31. Dezmiatu says:

I’ll be playing Formatting my Hard Drive, so I can then play Dark Souls 3.

particlese says:

Tomorrow I will be attempting again to get Subnautica working in VR without it being a stuttering mess whenever I turn my head. (The lovely animated water behind the main menu appears to move along swimmingly, otterly enough…) Should that fail again, I’ll wait for patches and instead take to the skies and rooftops in absurdist parkour-em-up To The Top, and/or to the stage in classical music simulator with spiffy graphics and narration La Péri.

But tonight, there is mostly just room for Lawbreakers. We had some wicked good spontaneous custom matches on Thursday, and tonight has been declared Customs/Quickmatch Night in a more organized fashion, with the proclaimed turnout looking pretty good so far. Yes indeed, we need to be organized/communicative to get matches going at all these days, but most of said matches have been totally worth the hassle of scheduling, as far as I’m concerned. :)

particlese says:

Lawbreakers was a ton of fun, and we even got multiple simultaneous 5v5 matches going, but I didn’t manage to get Subnautica working satisfactorily in VR. ;_;

So instead, I played a little Devil Daggers, got and played Rock of Ages 2 coop with a friend (unstable game in that mode, but fun!), and finally tried out Sword Coast Legends with another couple friends. I’m wary about the latter’s gameplay likeness to the Diablos, but so far, it doesn’t seem quite so dull and gloomy and overrun with clicks. It’s close, but it may be far enough to make the difference for me between tolerating it to chat with friends and enjoying it while chatting with friends.

33. Zenicetus says:

Mostly placing my Empire’s boot on the rest of the Galaxy’s neck in Endless Space 2. Also, I should start a new Subnautica save now that it’s finished. I played just a tiny bit in early access.

34. nitric22 says:

How many years behind in the gaming world can one be? Finally getting into Transistor and falling deeply in love with the combat mechanic. Making some slight headway in Heart of Stone. Scratching my head in The Witness (trying so hard to not use wikis). I should call that a wrap. However…Humble has done it again, so Tacoma is getting installed if not touched.

35. darrrrkvengeance says:

played and finished The Norwood Suite yesterday, which i picked up in the new Humble Monthly bundle. today will be a VN day: finishing volume 5 of Higurashi When They Cry and continuing Steins;Gate 0. tomorrow i’ll try one of those other Humble games (probably Tacoma or Owlboy) and more Steins;Gate. well, that’s the plan anyway.

36. geldonyetich says:

Final Fantasy XII for the PC. If you opt to spring for it, best run it in a borderless window. Aside from that, good port of one of the best in the series (dissenting opinions notwithstanding).

37. kud13 says:

More Mankind Divided. I’m in Act 3 Prague now, so I feel the end is probably close.

Jensen’s half-hearted pokings into conspiracies have whet my appetite for some REAL tangles of secrets. So I’m now contemplating finally replaying Alpha Protocol. I feel I forgot enough about the game to make it a pretty new experience.

38. hijuisuis says:

More Half Life 1, just got to Zen and thankfully I love those levels so looking forward and sad about finishing soon.

Also Hexcells Plus, stuck on world 6 for the 3rd time.

• hijuisuis says:

Damit Xen. My edit button never appears anymore.

particlese says:

I’ve run into that on occasion, and oddly enough, refreshing the page seems to spawn the edit link on the posted comment as long as I’m still within the 5 minute grace period. Give it a try!

• Kefren says:

I love the Xen levels too. Such a reward after being base-bound for so long. The coloured lights and dangers. The vertigo. Reminds me of some reddish otherworld levels from Clive Barker’s Undying.

• hijuisuis says:

I’m looking forward to playing Undying even more now.

particlese says:

Oh, wow, now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while! I remember marveling at screenshots of it in magazines way back when, and watching my roommate play it on his Mac in college a couple years later. I see it’s on GOG now. Hmm, tempting…

39. SaintAn says:

Final Fantasy XIV. I need to level my new alt that is stuck in LL to 20 before the Valentines event ends so I can do it. Need the loveseat mounts.

Final Fantasy XII. Just got it again on PC, already had it on PS4 and PS2.

FFTactics Advance. FFXII makes me want to replay it. Not for the awful story, but for all the incredible side stuff and cool class mechanics like Morpher pet raising. They really need to make a new one.

Dragon Ball FighterZ. I’m horrible and need a whole lot of practice.

40. Shinard says:

Prototype. I mean, it’s not *good* exactly, but, well…

1) It runs like a dream on my computer. This is rare, considering it wheezes like a lifelong smoker if I ask it to run anything fancy from the past two or three years. It was hard to get back into The Long Dark, when, after 5 minutes of play, I had a nice cozy radiator next to my desk. I didn’t have that many problems with it back in the beta days – I might have a fiddle, try and get it working again. I did love The Long Dark…

2) The plot’s crap, but it moves along quickly enough that I can basically ignore it. After the first couple of missions, that is, which almost made me chuck it in.

3) It’s uncomplicated. There’s no world to remember, no combos to practice, no quests to figure out. Well, that’s unfair – none of those that I care about, which is oddly liberating.

4) It’s just fun. Definitely not for big stretches, but if I’ve got an hour or two I want to have a bit of fun with, sure. Boot it up and sprint up some buildings, then whack some giant monsters in the face, then karate kick down a helicopter. Cool, I can turn my arm into a sword now. That’ll do me.

A perfect 7/10, popcorn action game. The controls are loose, the plot’s bunk and the world’s eh, but it’s just fun. I’ve played much better, but right now, a quick, undemanding power trip suits me to a tee.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

Prototype came out in 2009, a little less than a decade ago.

Time flies, eh? Like a vehicle hurled by an infected shape-shifter.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It was kinda cool back then being a shapeshifting ex-human, people-absorbing plague blob.
      Power fantasy for sure but executed well.

• poliovaccine says:

The controls and abilities really did feel good, but I always got such a grey, nauseous feeling off those games (I tried both for some masochistic reason), and not even from the gore or anything – at least I don’t think so, since I have no precedent in being that sort of squeamish. I sincerely think it was a combination of the utterly unambitious story and the relatively empty open world, and of course my isolated, dissociated state of mind at the time, which altogether made me feel claustrophobic and sick. It’s just… “like running around alone in a beaten videogame” is probably my most standby of similes for describing how the world feels in a depression. So already being in one, plus being in a gameworld which was already so much like a “beaten” videogame, in that I “had all the powerups” and was automatically nigh invincible from the start… it just felt super lonesome. It felt like sitting in some sunny room with nice furniture and a hardwood floor and being five years old and playing with the same three action figures *for eternity.* That’s the feeling I get off Prototype, and it’s a shame, in that it’s not Prototype’s fault… but only half a shame cus it’s not like I’m missing out on The Witcher 3 here.

41. fish99 says:

Got finished with those Naughty Subs a few days ago. Excellent game, took 57 hours (all in VR). Wish there was a reason to keep playing but it’s not really built that way.

Criticisms? The world could be a bit bigger and the edges of it could have been done better, and for a finished game with advertised VR support, the VR version is decidedly not finished. Still my favourite VR experience so far though. Properly scary.

Dunno what to play now.

42. NailBombed says:

Got the Rockstar Humble… and have been tweaking the old-school 3d Gta’s up to San An so that they don’t look so terribly boxy. Haven’t played GTA in ages – Lot of memories of those older games, especially San Andreas.

43. Spiegelmann says:

Dragon Ball FighterZ. My knowledge of DBZ is pretty much zero, but the game is superb. Also, it has the ability to make a fighting games scrub like me feel like a badass.

Will get some time in Destiny 2’s campaign, and maybe just a tad of Subnautica. I find depths both mesmerizing and terrifying.

MajorLag says:

Someone told me Pip Push Paradise was 2018’s Stephen’s Sausage Roll, so I bought it immediately. Their assessment was pretty accurate, so in addition to working on my 50 sends of mount Foddy, I’ll be fixing an island’s pluming in the most inefficient way possible.

45. Chaoslord AJ says:

Finished up Subnautica yesterday. Brilliant, will come back one day.
    Now I’m trying out GWsheridan’s new Minecraft mod pack.

46. Imperialist says:

Been playing Total War: Warhammer II, Holdfast: Nations at War, and some Wildlands…also maybe MHW, possibly.
    TWW2 is great of course, a place to dump many hours ramming monster units into squishy battalions of peasants and spearmen.
    I feel like Holdfast deserves more coverage than it gets (almost nothing)as, despite being early access, its rather solid mechanically, and both land and naval battles are a blast. The community is great too.
    Wildlands, is of course, completely brain-dead TC military fiction, but its great to shoot up compounds of various bad people.
    Thats muh weekend.

47. poliovaccine says:

So hard to decide sometimes – kind of proportionately moreso according to how precious and finite my free time is lately. Right now it’s super finite, so it better be something quality. Maybe try to wrap up my latest run through Prey. God that game deserved a better reception than it got – and what it got wasn’t even half bad, but it deserved better.

• Daymare says:

Well it did corrupt all my saves to the point where I’d have to restart a 20h+ run on the hardest difficulty.
      After a few hours of trying to fix it and about 2 months of waiting for a patch that fixed it, I sorta just moved on.

I think I came back to it once before I uninstalled, but the magic was gone.

Still, Prey and Dishonored are remarkable games and certainly among my favorite examples of world-building and level design, side-by-side with the Soulsbornes.

I’ll get back to it eventually. Just finished Abzû and What Remains of Edith Finch, both games that were a joy to play.

Comment on this story