Rumour: Crash Bandicoot coming to PC in remaster

crash-bandicoot-on-pc-1

Get your posh pink Himalayan salt ready, for you will need at least one pinch of it. Crash Bandicoot miiiiiight be coming to PC, if the loose lips of a gift shop manager are to be trusted. The marsupial mascot of the early 2000s reappeared in the remastered N.Sane Trilogy on PlayStation 4 last year. Max Arguile, a manager of GB Eye (wholesalers of officially licensed posters and other gifts for games, movies and TV shows) was interviewed by a trade magazine and he said these words:

“The new game was a huge success at retail with no marketing spend,” he said. “Next year it will be going broader (Switch and PC)…”

“[T]here will be another game in 2019,” he added. “Activision have a five-year plan for this.” He was speaking to the Liscening Source Book Europe (page 97) which is basically a big book of colourful things for licensing managers like himself. GameInformer got wind of it and then I got wind of GameInformer. It’s all quite a lot of second or even third-hand wind. We’ve emailed Activision for comment but haven’t received any wind from them at all. [Update: Hark, a soft breeze blows from mount Activision. “We’ve seen the speculation…” they say, but it “isn’t something we’ll be commenting on.”]

The sentiment in the RPS treehouse is that Crash Bandicoot is – and always has been – a bit rubbish. He bounced on boxes and ate fruit in an era when Mario was triple-jumping, tree climbing and squashing things with his bottom. But I too was a PlayStation child, reader. I fondly remember Crash’s cartoon deaths. Resurfacing from cold water encased in ice, squashed flat by a boulder, falling to cinders when burned by a flamethrower. Although, even I’ll admit they are less fun when you see them for the nine millionth time due to old-fashioned and stodgy controls. It’s fun to watch Wile E Coyote. But imagine being him. Good thing the remaster is probably easier Nope, it’s harder.

But I’ll keep my eyeballs rolling around on the grand desert of the videogames industry just for you, Crash fans. And if we get any word back from Activision, we’ll let you know.

1. mungo says:

I was going to get it on PS4, but since not even the Pro runs it at 60fps, a PC release would be great news for me.

2. Spuzzell says:

Crash Mediocrecoot.

3. R. Totale says:

I will not stand for this Crash-bashing.

4. peterako1989 says:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

5. SaintAn says:

“Next year it will be going broader (Switch and PC)…”

Times really have changed.

6. Kollega says:

I’m pretty much iddifferent to Crash Bandiccot, but I’m here to point out two things.

First: “Activision have a five-year plan” is not the sort of phrase that one would normally expect to hear.

Second: there does, in fact, exist a game that lets you be Wile E. Coyote, and it sure feels like the acme of Looney Tunes licensed games.

• Akakabuto says:

From your wiki link: “The game is based on the popular Warner Bros. series of cartoons featuring Sam Sheepdog and Ralph Wolf. Controlling Ralph…”

Nevertheless, that was a good game. Never got through the (what I think was) last level. Should return to it someday!

• Kollega says:

I figured that was more of a semantic difference, because Ralph Wolf is sometimes-relative-sometimes-alter-ego of Wile E. Coyote, and in the game, he is up to all the same kinds of insanity. Not a whole lot of difference between the two, practically speaking.

• Jalan says:

Goes a bit beyond semantics when wolves aren’t coyotes, one’s nose is red while the other’s is black and they each have very different personalities.

• Kollega says:

I’ll admit, if there is a personality difference between the two, then my argument goes out the window. I don’t remember much from my childhood viewings of Looney Tunes, and always thought for some reason that Ralph is just a palette-swap of Wile E. – but if they act differently, then what I said is clearly incorrect.

And hey, I guess I should have remembered from the game itself that Ralph has sheep-stealing as literally his punch-clock day job, not a lifelong obsession. Go me, great memory there.

7. Avioto says:

Does that include the Kart game? That was a fun one.

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

I’d buy a Crash Remaster pack just for that, Crash Team Racing was probably the best cart racer of the 90s.

8. Jalan says:

I enjoyed Crash 3 (perhaps not so much for the gameplay, with it being rightly criticized for being one (if not the) easiest of the series in that department) but the remainder of it (music, voice acting, story, etc.) was just so… mesmerizing that I often found myself starting it mid-day later to realize that I’d skipped dinner and it was nearing midnight when I was ready to stop playing it.

That said, part of me wants this news to be potentially true but there are certain things I’ve written off as “never going to leave console-land” and I’d be truly surprised if the likes of Crash, Spyro and countless others ever do.

Ninja Dodo says:

Mechanically it’s a very simple game but it’s easy to underestimate the charm of the aesthetic. Between the for the time impressive cartoon visuals and fun audio – OOGABOOGA! – it made up for its limitations. Don’t know that I need a remaster on PC though.

• EvaUnit02 says:

“Don’t know that I need a remaster on PC though.” Don’t buy it then. I assure you there’s demand for PC ports of these remasters. Just because you don’t want them doesn’t mean you should be a selfish dick and deny others of the possibility to play the games on the platform of their choice.

• Jalan says:

Really seems as though you’re misinterpreting that sentence to fit an argument nobody is really having in the comments for this article. They said they’re unlikely to need it, which checks the box on your “don’t buy it” list more than it does “I don’t need it, so obviously no one else does either”.

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah, I don’t know where that came from. I was just saying Crash was a fun game I played on the Playstation. While I personally don’t feel the need to revisit it with fancier graphics on PC I certainly wouldn’t begrudge anyone else doing so. My point was not to make a “don’t care” comment, it was to echo the sentiment that there was something worthwhile about the original game.

10. smeaa mario says:

Just make it look reasonably up-to-date and run well = instant buy for me! Nuff said.

11. MikoSquiz says:

Is it going to be fixed? It’s my understanding that one of the reasons the remastered Crash games seem Nintendo Hard to people playing them again after a long time is that they “tidied up” some hitboxes, i.e. shaved the corners off, making formerly fairly generous jumps borderline unmakeable, thanks to Crash sliding off edges instead of landing squarely on.

12. funnyjokes says:

Your site has a lot of useful information for myself. I visit regularly. Hope to have more quality items.
    subway surfers