Salt sails out of early access

Way back when, we declared the open-world pirate-o-craft-a-sailing sandbox Salt to be one of the best games of 2014 – when it was still in early access. If you’ve been waiting since then for it to be finished and properly out, buddy, I have good news for you. After three-and-a-bit years, Salt today left early access. I trust you’ve been starving your closest shipmates of vitamin C to develop scurvy in preparation for adventures.

Over the years of early access, developers Lavaboots Studios have expanded Salt with online multiplayer, new island types, great gobs of items, a main quest line and loads of side quests, boss battles, and a long list of other features.

I wonder if we can tempt our John out from in the alien ocean of Subnautica and back on top of Salt’s seas. John was the fella here really into Salt, writing about his gentle adventures and still in 2016 calling it “possibly the gentlest, most soothing survival game of all.” Sure, gentle aside from the swordfights, ship battles, and plundering.

Salt is out now on Steam for Windows. The price has gone up $5 alongside the full launch, though a small launch discount brings it down a little to £13.94/€17.99/$17.99.

1. SaintAn says:

Another of the many Early Access scam games…

Drib says:

If it’s being finished, in what way is it a scam?

• Chaz says:

I rather think the comment was going for a hint of sarcasm there.

• Sargonite says:

Fair enough; if this is the case, I apologize for jumping on the poster. Unfortunately, sincere accusations of scamming can be so ridiculously inappropriate to the context that it can get quite difficult to distinguish the snark from the sincere.

• try2bcool69 says:

Cynical much? It’s about to be fully released and has a “very positive” rating on Steam, that kinda blows your “scam” statement out of the water.
      Also, The Forest, Rimworld, and Factorio are all about to leave EA, and are all great games.
      Full Releases for Kerbal Space Program, ARK, Prison Architect, Don’t Starve, The Long Dark, The Flame in the Flood, etc…

• Sargonite says:

It’s distressing how “scam” has grown like a tumour to devour any possible situation in game development that isn’t perfection. Delayed release? Scam! Bankruptcy after a sincere attempt to make a game? Scam! Idle “maybes” from devs never materializing? Scam! Don’t like the business model? Scam! Looks a bit like other games? Scam!

It’s almost as if we’ve forgotten that sometimes people actually, deliberately lie with the goal running off with money, and that it’s useful to have a word for that.

2. adamsorkin says:

Did I spy a subtle Parks and Rec reference in there?

3. Seafoam says:

I really enjoyed salt back when it first came out, gotta pick it up again and see how it has improved.
    I feel that it’s better that the game is released now, before Sea of Thieves makes it somewhat obsolete.

• Rince says:

Honestly I fail to see how Sea of Thieves can make Salt obsolete.
      Seems to be very different. And it’s only multiplayer.
      Plus, it’s not even on Steam.

• Seafoam says:

Games to get your piratey/ sailing/ island hopping fix.
        Salt is good fun but lets be honest and admit that it has a lot of glaring flaws.
        If I had both Salt and Sea of Thieves then I’d boot up Sea of Thieves anytime I want to get my sailing on.

• Evan_ says:

I -for one- am very happy that my buddies and I can have our pirate-fix without some of us having to upgrade from our trusted Win7, and all of us having to overcome our aversion of prodding Windows Store with a stick.

Besdies, that review sounds more positive than the SoT one. But I know, it’s no fair comparison – one of these is a beta. :)

Comment on this story