FTL follow-up Into The Breach is finally out this month

into-the-breach-release-date

For the past couple of months, we’ve been bragging shamelessly about how we’ve already got beta copies of Into The Breach, the XCOM vs Pacific Rim vs Advance Wars-y follow-up to the timeless FTL: Faster Than Light. This ugly crowing has an expiration date, you’ll be glad to hear – and that date is the end of this very month.

Yep, Into The Breach lands on February 27th, though only for Windows – if you’re part of either the lah-de-dah coffee shop or the shed-filled-with-old-motherboards crowd, you’ll have to wait, as will consolefolk. (A Switch version of this would consume my entire life, I suspect).

Into The Breach, to summarise, is a fast’n’tight turn-based strategy game in which you pitch your team of three time-travelling mechs against an army of giant, insectoid aliens who destroyed the Earth. But, if you can stop them in the past, maybe you can change the future. It lacks the choose-your-own-adventure element of FTL, but shares the random enemy line-ups and unlocks, as well as permadeath and a cruel-but-not-too-cruel streak that makes every experience with it a pressure cooker of tension and decision-making.

I did a sort of after-action report on it a while back that hopefully explains how it works in practice, while some of m’esteemed colleagues had a big ol’ geek-out about how much they dig it.

It’s not clear what, if any, additions will be made on top of the chunky amount of turn-based good times already in this beta build (gloat!), and nor would I argue it’s in need of much bug-fixing, so I suspect polish and balance will be the main order of the day.

And oh look, an update just arrived for the beta version that’s on my hard drive and that I can play whenever I like and you can’t, no matter how much you desperately want to.

Not until February 27, when I shall become a nobody once again. It’ll be sold via Steam, GOG and Humble – no price details or pre-orders available yet.

1. Michael Fogg says:

I think it’s important to ask: do you actually make any breaches in the game and then proceed through them?

Also, apparently Chris Avellone worked at some capacity on the game?

• b00p says:

avellone is pals with the devs and a huge fan, and worked (pro bono) on some additional content in the FTL Advanced Additon release, so this is both not too surprising and good news, everyone!

2. Revolver Rossalot says:

After untold hours of joy with FTL: Faster Than Light, only the potential of a Switch port stands between me and a day one purchase. I’ll almost certainly cave and hope it’s as Steam Linkable as its forebear. Sounds like exactly my cup of tea.

ITB: Into The Breach even has a Ben Prunty soundtrack!

3. Catchcart says:

Representing for the shed-filled-with-old-motherboards crowd. Waiting time is going to make it all the sweeter, right?

• ww says:

Old motherboards don’t in fact work like charge ions or lasers, unfortunately (and neither do sheds).

Alec’s comment almost had me worried it would be a Windows store exclusive, but luckily that’s not the case, and it’s TBA on GOG already so I’ll even get the chance to buy it in duplicate like FTL.

burn_heal says:

Feb 27th. The day I start back at university… :(

5. skeletortoise says:

I have a rule of waiting for discounts to $5 or less for games and am pretty good at sticking to it, but this game is just the kind of thing that deserves a Day One exception.

Phasma Felis says:

I just need to know, are they still calling the entirely limbless tank a “Tank Mech”? I think that’s still a dealbreaker for me.

• Darloth says:

I feel similarly, if not as strongly.

• Landiss says:

My position on this is: if your tank is the size of a city block, you can call it tank mech.

7. poliovaccine says:

Ever since FTL became a sort of template/subgenre I’ve felt basically inundated by games I just need to play. They just keep coming out with more and I can’t keep up, I mean I still haven’t tried that one where you’re sailing a pirate galley or something, I haven’t had a chance to dig into Bomber Crew, etc, etc. Totally not a complaint, I’m just saying..!

At this point I’m inclined to ask, what are some of the best FTLikes? I know there are way more than just the few I remembered, definitely more which have piqued my interest at one point or another.

• Axyl says:

“that one where you’re sailing a pirate galley”

Any idea what this one might be called? Consider me interested :D

• EZMarz says:

It’s possible he was talking about “Abandon Ship,” which is the subject of an article Brendan just published. Hope you enjoy!

• Hypocee says:

Probably Abandon Ship, yeah, but the longer shot is Seaworthy. Which died. Because it didn’t get Kickstarted, and the prospective devs had to go get real jobs, because TANJ.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

FTL with shanties!

• Hypocee says:

Convoy by, er, Convoy Games is good. link to convoy-games.com Be warned going in that unlike the masterful restraint of Jubert’s work on FTL, the fiction is its biggest weak point – a viciously tedious Seth MacFarlane stew of REFERENCES to like four movies whose mere existence it thinks it will charm you by invoking.

If you can shut that out and treat it as Collect the MacGuffins, in my five years of waiting and watching it’s still one of criminally few true FTLbuts and the only one that I’ve yet found to even play in the same league. An innovative and light supplies-and-risk-managey overworld map, interesting decisions galore in vehicle and loadout distribution, and deliciously rugby/Blood Bowlish obstacles-status-effects-push’n’shove active pause car squad combat. The only example I know where the devs correctly read what Subset did, including what wouldn’t work for their own design, and built something with an identity of its own that could look its inspiration in the eye.

Diluvion’s 3D and has fewer systems so I’d say it’s got one leg in the genre, but it is great in its own way.

8. melerski says:

Those poor beta players! Experiencing a masterpiece in it’s inferior form. ;)

• Captain Narol says:

Not always, sometimes they see it in its purest and unbroken state…

I’ve seen some games go backward during EA to end up in a desappointing form (Smite Tactics…).

phuzz says:

I’m not going to break my “no pre-orders” rule for this, but it will almost certainly be a day one purchase.
    On the other hand, it’s got several thousand hours to go if it wants to knock FTL off it’s perch as my favourite game.

• Raoul Duke says:

How do you get that much out of FTL? I beat it once and felt that it didn’t hold that much interest after that…

10. Laurentius says:

It’s cliche but if I was to take one game to desert island it would be FTL even though I’m playing video games for 25 years.

So Into the Breach will be me day one purchase.

11. abstrarie says:

I of course liked FTL, but I didn’t get quite as hooked to it as I thought I would. This though? I love turn based tactics games, and I really love mechs. I also am into the game boy advance art style and thought that Pacific Rim could have been a masterpiece if Del Toro actually knew how to write. Considering all these factors, I believe this game was designed specifically for me.